3 2.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryUK

Veteran
I'm never usually a fan of Portugal's entries and this year is no different - however it's on the better end of what they've offered in recent years. :4:

Chalphon

Let me bring some Debbie Downer energy:

This song is a toilet break. :2: Just like Serbia.

It's not your fault. Because of entries like Croatia, Estonia, Finland etc. I just don't have the required attention span capability for ballads anymore.
Yeah, I feel you

crashworld

Veteran
Again, Portugal just send whatever they like (which is good) and I must admit, their entries have always been more a "miss" than a "hit" for me. And this falls again in the former category. The song is like watching paint dry on first listen. It's not bad per se, but it's not remarkable. Giving this a :5:.

Citelis

Well, her performance is perfect but the song itself is probably not that great. I prefer it live and i think that it is more jury-friendly. Something between :6: and :7: for now.

FilipFromSweden

I like the voice and the singer and her vibe, strong visuals as well, the song is forgettable though. :3:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
The song is really nice and to be very honest, we were sorely missing something showing a more restrained, delicate side this year. Not to say Grito doesn't go places though as it very much does. I think the composition is beautiful but I'm not 110% there for this entry in the same way I was for say Saudade, Saudade. I don't know what it is... well, actually I can tell you one thing, I'm not into that staging. The backing dancer outfits look so daft. Boris put it quite perfectly, the performance comes across quite sterile. There was obviously some kind of vision here but it doesn't work for me. The song is there for certain and Iolanda a fantastic, very capable performer but I think it's best to start again from scratch with the staging and outfits.

Having said that, it's a strong :8: points.

lacrymea

The song is really nice and to be very honest, we were sorely missing something showing a more restrained, delicate side this year. Not to say Grito doesn't go places though as it very much does. I think the composition is beautiful but I'm not 110% there for this entry in the same way I was for say Saudade, Saudade. I don't know what it is... well, actually I can tell you one thing, I'm not into that staging. The backing dancer outfits look so daft. Boris put it quite perfectly, the performance comes across quite sterile. There was obviously some kind of vision here but it doesn't work for me. The song is there for certain and Iolanda a fantastic, very capable performer but I think it's best to start again from scratch with the staging and outfits.

Having said that, it's a strong :8: points.
People here loved and praised the staging concept. Her being engulfed by her inner demons and finally being able to break from them. So I believe they'll do some minor tweaks here and there, but the concept is set in stone.

FilipFromSweden

Some of you are so strict with these scores haha... like if you like the singer, her vibe, and the visual but find the song rather mid give it at least 5 then.
I feel the opposite way! People on this website will be like ''yeah this was pretty boring and it's not really working for me :8: ''. Too generous! There is so much music and artistry in the world, how I see it is that you have to make an impact and be either really good or really bad to stand out, if you're in the middle then you get a middle score :3:

goncalovieira

It is incredible how some eurovision fans are so biased against Portugal.
We all know that RTP does not play for the masses, but still.

FilipeGolias

I jumped on "Grito"'s train the first time I heard the songs in January. In a rather weak FdC year, imo, this song was an immediate standout. Her first live presentation in the first semifinal exceeded any expectations that I could've had and took this whole act to another level. The best well-thought package of song/singer/act in FdC that I can remember. From then on, there was no one coming close to beat Iolanda. Regardless of future results, this is yet another entry that extends the run of quality participations from Portugal in ESC in recent years and of which I'm proud to support.

Since there are no "perfect" entries, I do feel that Iolanda may come across a bit on the emontionless side when performing (nerves? she seemed very reactionless in a nervous kind of way when receiving those jury 12s). Also, the dancers and their choreography concept is actually very fitting to the song's lyrics, but I understand it may not translate clearly to the audience and they may wonder why these dancers with lace-covered faces and weird moves around her. I wouldn't change anything here, but it could be a thing to look at from their side if they feel this could be improved. I think most of the potential changes are more related to the stage (lights and screen effects) which will have to be adjusted to the Malmö stage. Camera angles are key to work on, especially the "grito" (scream) moment, with something more dramatic and visually stunning that a simple close-up shot.

I'm very excited to see how this is presented in Malmö and, unlike what the production team from Liverpool did to Mimicat, I'm sure that Iolanda and RTP will get what they'll submit to SVT this Wednsday, and maybe even better.

Hoping that the public will be pleased to witness a more soothing entry amongst so many hectic performances on May 7th and may allow us to break our record of consecutive qualifications to the final :giggle:(y)

lasse braun

i can not see here a finalist for sure - it is a solid more arty song but the field will be tough in the semi - i like this song more than the ballads from serbia & france.
i give a solid :6:.

my favorite 2-3 songs without that crazy musical number all ended up at the bottom in the final.:cry:

FilipFromSweden

How are :3: points out of :12: "a middle score", though?
As someone who grew up watching Eurovision, my mindset is that 15-16 acts don't get any points at all when a country votes, and even getting points at all is good, so I do feel generous to not hand out a :0: when I have a lukewarm reaction to a song

Fluke

IMO, another typical Portugese entry picked with no concern or understanding for what any other countries like. I just can't connect with the weird guttural, slurring vocal style, i don't even find it ugly or off-putting but it's just feeks so pretentious, unnecessary and outdated to me, like, don't they have anyone who can sing with a normal voice in that country? Is it some kind of national pride thing?

The song is yet another pretentious mess that seems to be meant just to make you think you're not sophisticated enough to understand it. I see this as a pretty sure non-qualifier, but with so few entries this year, nothing's sure. The dancers are hilariously out of place though, i hope they keep them.

lacrymea

IMO, another typical Portugese entry picked with no concern or understanding for what any other countries like. I just can't connect with the weird guttural, slurring vocal style, i don't even find it ugly or off-putting but it's just feeks so pretentious, unnecessary and outdated to me, like, don't they have anyone who can sing with a normal voice in that country? Is it some kind of national pride thing?

The song is yet another pretentious mess that seems to be meant just to make you think you're not sophisticated enough to understand it. I see this as a pretty sure non-qualifier, but with so few entries this year, nothing's sure. The dancers are hilariously out of place though, i hope they keep them.
I have no idea what you're on about the voice. But I'm portuguese, probably my problem.

Laepo1

Why should Portugal care about what other countries like? It been quietly doing it's own thing since they started participating, almost never caring about trends, stagings or other crap. But looking back to this almost 60 years of entries, they will find something that represent them.

If you don't like the song, that's fine: skip it, take a toilet break or mute it and check your phone when its playing. But don't come here with xenophobic comments, "that" country has a name.

Top Bottom