Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

Ezio

Veteran
I mean sometimes it's more an artwork than a logo but I definitely wouldn't say that last years artwork lacked effort. Yes, I've been quite reserved about it at the beginning too but looking back at it, it's actually quite nice.

The thing that triggers me the most from this years logo are the colours. They are very "in your face" on the one side, on the other side the yellow-pink combinations feels quite overused tbh. Also the German liberal party FDP are using similar colours so they remind of them in a very unpleasant way.

If I had to chose the best logo/ artwork of the past editions, I would probably choose :nl: 2021 because I very much liked the logo and also how they transformed it into a very nice screen design. Their postcards have also been something completely new, with a nice combination of artist insights and pictures of local places.
The Dutch logo was also very papercut, monochromatic and flashy. It seems like the logos are stuck in Helsinki 2007 era, which was only cool back then. I want more texture, and not bland monochromatic shapes. The last really nice logo was Portugal's. Before that, I'd say the Malmö butterfly and the Serbia confluence were really great, also the Greece 2006 and Ukraine 2005 logo gave me life. Other older logos I must have forgotten at this point. Of course I liked the Building Bridges logo, but I still don't get the reference between bridges and orbs.

Mainshow

Veteran
I don´t think it´s one of the best ones but I really appreciate the logo for Düsseldorf 2011 - The hearts looked better than this year, imo and I loved the fact that they were beating in the colours of the participating countries. They also matched the slogan.

I feel pretty indifferent to this year´s logo. On paper, it looks tragic but it´s really convincing when it moves (based on the footage which can be found online). The logo is simple but fits the current situation in Europe and it´s well-chosen, imo - but I don´t really see the reference to this year´s logo, either.

It could have been better.. but it could have been worse, imo.

Mainshow

Veteran
Btw, I think it´s utterly ridiculous that a few fans are already calling the 2nd half of the 2nd semi final "weak".

We basically just know 1 entry and that´s Albania - there will be a hell of a revamp and comments like "Albania is already out".. I don´t get them because I think there´s some televoting potential... :pl: was Top 10 in the televoting last year (and 2x Top 5 in the GF in the last decade), :au: qualified every time apart from one exception (and 2x Top 5 placings and 2 more Top 10 placings in the last decade), "So Low" really got potential in :lt: and I can totally see them qualify. :sm: gave us one of the hottest fan favourites of recent years ("Adrenalina") and Serhat (who also surprisingly qualified) and the recent winner of Italy X-Factor(or was it The Voice?) also applied for representing the country; granted, :ge: somehow sucked in recent years but they used to be a powerhouse and they still have the means to surpise us, imo (like 2016) - :sl: "Carpe Diem"´s snippet sounds promising, they are a well-established act and will probably have not many rock-ish acts in the same semi....I don´t want to comment on :at: and "Poe" because it could be a genius guilty pleasure or one of the worst entries of this year but calling semi 2 - 2nd half weak.. I seriously don´t get it - especially since we don´t know the acts/songs.

aef

Unintelligible accent has been a staple for Eurovision hosts.

I wouldn't mind AJ and Ryland hosting. They were very fun together.
I mean I even understood the :ua: hosts from 2017 better than AJ

Grinch

The logo reminds me of cartoon characters hearts beating out of chests

heart-beating-out-of-chest.gif

aef

Don’t get me wrong, I love the clear classic british pronunciation but some of their local accents are pretty difficult to understand. Well at least you have to be more concentrated when listening to them.

Last edited:

NemesisNick

I've made a video about the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Semi-Final Allocation Draw, which happened on 31 January 2023. This includes an outline of which countries have been allocated to each semi-final, and an analysis of how certain pairs / groups of countries are in the same or separate semi-finals.
Nemesis Nick Talks Eurovision: ESC 2023 Semi-Final Allocation Draw

Ezio

Veteran
The logo reminds me of cartoon characters hearts beating out of chests

heart-beating-out-of-chest.gif
This cartoonish hearbeat reminds me of how Spain was the fan favourite robbed by a fake vote in place, so they couldn't host Eurovision this year.

Ezio

Veteran
Don’t get me wrong, I love the clear classic british pronunciation but some of their local accents are pretty difficult to understand. Well at least you have to be more concentrated when listening to them.
The show was intelligible enough, but AJ had a slang, still cute, but heavy. Many non-native speakers have a better English command than the Brits. When I was in Scotland and London, I was in despair, because I didn't get what people were saying. I was like "Can somebody please kill me now"

A-lister

Veteran
Imagine if Belarus had a reasonable government and it would still be in the contest, how great it would be to have this song in the contest, I don't know anything about the lyrics, but I'm simply looooove that song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zyqvaFocM&list=WL&index=14

Indeed! Unfortunately the country is closer to become fully integrated into ruZZia than ever having a reasonable government, so might not even exist as an "independent" country in the near future :(

Anyways, yeah Naviband would be great, they're still the best thing Belarus ever sent to Eurovision so... now they have to live in exile because of yeah... no need to mention it

esc87fan

Rylan has taken himself out of the presenter pool. He recently told the official ESC podcast that he would rather continue his commentary duties with Scott Mills during the semifinals

empo21

Veteran
What is the stage coming from the left side of the Green Room intended for? Looks odd.
Probably the spot for the hosts.

I like this stage, but anything would've been better than last year's anyway.

The pros outweigh the cons. I love that the audience will surround the stage and I like the futuristic look and the arches on the side.

My only complaint is the main stage looking like a LED box, the way the arches cover the sides makes it look like a studio set. Also, not a fan of the egg-shaped B stage.

ALL HAIL THE KINETIC CLOUDS!!!

Ps another thing is that there doesn't seem to have a quick way to enter and leave the stage, which probably means less cameramen and more drone cams, which were a bit awkward last year.

Mainshow

Veteran
I really like the stage design.
There´s nothing ground-breaking like a "kinetic sun" or some "waterfalls" and a "real green room with plants" (I absolutely adored the concept of last year´s edition!) but overall it looks very impressive and futuristic... The B-stage doesn´t seem to be "that far away" like back in 2011 (in which only very few contestants performed and some of them didn´t even qualify like Israel or Cyprus) and the stage is not unnecessarily enormously big. If you can only perform with 6 people max., you don´t need the biggest stage. Moscow looked impressive but some performances - especially the ones without props simply don´t need it - and there´s a tendency towards "not taking any props with you because of financial reasons" anyway... thus, many LED´s perfectly make sense.

aef

This looks really good actually! It fells very fresh!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Oooo i like that actually. Its kinda futuristic looking, interesting enough to not look boring and not over the top to be too gimmicky or end up breaking 🤐. It seems the concept was a wide hug to Ukraine, idk how well that comes across but i like it. My only issue is that given the size of the arena I'd have personally put the greenroom outside the main hall. I know it breaks the theme of the past few years but size for audience is limited enough already.

nudiecrudi

It's a good stage. And seems functional because does not have any complexity.
Lasts year staging with a bit of attention during the conceptual and construction phase would have been great but it was too much pretentious for the continuos changes that the show needs. During Diodato and Volo performances we had an idea how the stage would have been used in a correct way.
Anyway better make the stage simple and easy to manipulate for any necessity

Top Bottom