I don't feel hate
I just feel sorry
You feel so very clever whenever you find another way to wear me down
But I don't feel hate
I just feel sorry
So you can wiggle with that middle finger, it'll never wiggle back to you
'Cause I don't feel

Sorry

I really don't care (ah, ah-ah) that you want to bash me (ah-ah, ah-ah)
Do it with flair and I'll let you be (I'll let you be common Eileen)
But don't you dare (don't you dare), mmm, to get angry (to get angry)
When you realize those words just don't hit me
What?

'Cause I don't feel hate
I just feel sorry
You feel so very clever whenever you find anothеr way to wear me down
But I don't feel hate
I just feel sorry
So you can wigglе with that middle finger, it'll never wiggle back to you
'Cause I don't feel hate

Sorry

I really don't mind (ah, ah-ah) to be your rival (ah-ah, ah-ah)
'Cause for your kind it's essential for survival (say what? He did not just say that)
Yes, I did (yes, I did), and I feel sorry (so sorry)
I don't feel hate, that's the whole point of this song (that's the song)
I guess you need patronization as some kind of validation
You won't cope with the frustration that your random me-fixation
Is another affirmation that you're just a hateful person
Who's not really better than me

Tap break, uh

I don't feel hate (don't feel hate)
I just feel sorry (I just feel sorry)
You feel so very clever whenever you find another way to wear me down (wear me down)
Meine Damen und Herren
But I don't feel hate (no, no, no)
Das war's mit "I Don't Feel Hate"
I just feel sorry (just feel sorry)
Ich hoffe, Sie haben noch ein derbe nices Leben, und bis bald
So you can wiggle with that middle finger, it'll never wiggle back to you (wiggle, wiggle, wiggle you)
'Cause I don't feel hate (no, no, no, no)
You feel so very clever whenever you find another way to wear me down (don't wear me down)
But I don't feel hate (I don't feel hate)
So you can wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle you (wiggle, wiggle, wiggle you)
'Cause I don't feel​

Last edited by a moderator:

Vondenburg

Well let`s be real here: the song will bomb with the juries. Zero points seem not too far fetched.
Same can`t be said about the televoting though - He will grab a considerable amount of points simply because the entire thing is a least something you don`t forget. A lot of it`s "success" will depend on the performance, I suppose. We shall see.
I think I disagree. I think for every 2 Televotingpoints that we get, we will get 1 Jurypoint.
If that wil be 10 to 5 or 300 to 150 I have no idea.

crashworld

Veteran
I agree, there is no way the juries are going to award points to this trainwreck of a song if they want to remain credible. That will be a disservice to the other songs.

The only best bet is with the public votes. But there are already a few quirky songs/artists in the contest, so he will have to share that pot of votes.

Therefore, I really can't see this escaping the bottom 5 fate. Unless he does a San Marino 2019. But "Say Na Na Na" is less gimmicky and more listenable than "I Don't Feel Hate".

HayashiM

Veteran
I agree, there is no way the juries are going to award points to this trainwreck of a song if they want to remain credible. That will be a disservice to the other songs.

The only best bet is with the public votes. But there are already a few quirky songs/artists in the contest, so he will have to share that pot of votes.

Therefore, I really can't see this escaping the bottom 5 fate. Unless he does a San Marino 2019. But "Say Na Na Na" is less gimmicky and more listenable than "I Don't Feel Hate".

My my, I had similar thoughts in 2018... And than that trainwrack won, with the juries placing it 3rd.
People should stop putting their faith into juries as a means towards stopping joke entries, because it simply isn't happening.

Realest

Short Reminder that 'Im a Joker' was a Juryqualifier, but 'Blackbird', the possible Jurywinner (according to the ESC-Fandom) wasnt.

crashworld

Veteran
My my, I had similar thoughts in 2018... And than that trainwrack won, with the juries placing it 3rd.
People should stop putting their faith into juries as a means towards stopping joke entries, because it simply isn't happening.

Are you seriously putting "Toy" as a joke entry category? Even though it wasn't my favourite winner, but at least that song was well-received overall and wasn't polarising like "I Don't Feel Hate".

Franzilein

JamieBrown summed it up perfectly:
Completely agree with this statement, but it totally misses the point. The point is; stop being a hypocritical elitist dipshit of an armchair music connaisseur who never published a piece of music himself and can’t tell the difference between a tonic and dominant – and sorry, not sorry if you actually can, I’m an entilted dipshit of an armchair psychologist, I know you and your intentions better than you know them yourself.

But seriously, if anybody ever questions again why the reputation of the ESC is this badly with most musicians when reading comments like these on a (I suppose) daily basis – step out of the bubble for once or start producing music yourself and see what it feels like to be judged by Fat Uncle Fritz – pardon, to be slayed by a Queen, because here musicians are just cooks who serve dishes to Her Majesty, and if it’s not to her liking, you get thrown out of her castle full of glitter, sugar and blingbling.

And yes, I took some of these comments personally, because Jendrik is one of "us": people on SoundCloud or YouTube, uploading own produced shit with a cute little following of kind subscribers. But according to some self-proclaimed EuroQueens, we don't belong to the ESC, we're fake tryhards with hidden agendas and don't do "real" music.

Yikes.

HayashiM

Veteran
Are you seriously putting "Toy" as a joke entry category? Even though it wasn't my favourite winner, but at least that song was well-received overall and wasn't polarising like "I Don't Feel Hate".
Absolutely, from my perspective, Toy is a (terrible, terrible) joke entry. Or to paraphrase Jan Bors' words: "even though there is some quality to Toy, it really is not something I wanna show as an example of a eurovision winner when I try to attract new quality acts to take part in our national final".
As far as polarisation goes, I dare say it is by far the most polarising from (at least) the last 5 winners - of course, the only proof besides my impression from comments here and elsewhere I can provide are the polls here - where Toy stands at 20% of zeroes (largest % from these 5 winners) and 40% of twelves (joint lowest, together with Heroes). You can even dig 5 years further and still the only winner entry with similar numbers (and the same extremely high % of zeroes) is Conchita.
And yes, I think that Toy and I Don't Feel Hate are actually quite comparable (even though the latter probably won't be as successful). Both are serving sounds that some part of the fandom finds very questionable, both are quirky standouts that will be remembered and both are trying to sell a message that some cheer for and others just go "meh?".
Hence why I wouldn't exclude some moderate - from certain perspectives, sky rocketing - jury support for IDFH.

mauve

Veteran
Completely agree with this statement, but it totally misses the point. The point is; stop being a hypocritical elitist dipshit of an armchair music connaisseur who never published a piece of music himself and can’t tell the difference between a tonic and dominant – and sorry, not sorry if you actually can, I’m an entilted dipshit of an armchair psychologist, I know you and your intentions better than you know them yourself.

But seriously, if anybody ever questions again why the reputation of the ESC is this badly with most musicians when reading comments like these on a (I suppose) daily basis – step out of the bubble for once or start producing music yourself and see what it feels like to be judged by Fat Uncle Fritz – pardon, to be slayed by a Queen, because here musicians are just cooks who serve dishes to Her Majesty, and if it’s not to her liking, you get thrown out of her castle full of glitter, sugar and blingbling.

And yes, I took some of these comments personally, because Jendrik is one of "us": people on SoundCloud or YouTube, uploading own produced shit with a cute little following of kind subscribers. But according to some self-proclaimed EuroQueens, we don't belong to the ESC, we're fake tryhards with hidden agendas and don't do "real" music.

Yikes.
I do understand your point of view about some users here acting like musical hypocrites and believing they can decide between good and bad music. I would have been pissed (sorry, or not sorry) reading those statements years before, but by now I now that there are always users believing they are divine creatures that know better. I just take it rather the easy way because we CAN'T change them. So my credo is to ignore these people. xshrugI feel sorry for many artists who get bashed by such people, but Jendrik should know what can happen. It was his choice to be a part of ESC and I truly hope that his lovely soul (that is what he is) will take it lightly and that there are enough people around him that encourage him to continue.

Sammy

Veteran
I find this critizism of different sounds/styles in one song highly interesting. Let‘s compare a bit (and I‘m generalizing)

Armenia: Love wave: about 5 different songs in 3 min. sirenes, unidentifiable sounds, lyrics that are so mumbeled you can hardly understand it. Fandom: Slaaaaaay queeeen!

Northern Macedonia: Lost and found: again 3 completely differnt songs/rhythms in one song that don‘t fit together at all. Fandom: Slaaaaaaaay queeeeeen

Azerbaijan: Cleopatra: mix of oriental and egypt sounds, modern elements and buddhist(!!!!) mantra chanting. Fandom: Slaaaaaay queeeen

German guy combines elements like tapdance and brass (quite common combination in the past) with ukulele. Fandom: THIS.IS.ATROCIOUS!!!

I‘m not saying any of these artist was wrong to make these combinations. But the different reaction to these examples makes me wonder if combining „questionable sounds“ is really the cause for the negative feelings the song provokes with some (and I‘m sure these feelings are very authentic).

Last edited:
@Franzilein Oh dear... More people really should take notes from your posts because this is a harsh reality check about how Eurovision fans are perceived outside this bubble.

I agree, many in this community really are lolcow-worthy because they literally lack the self-awareness of their subjective agenda. The same pattern can be seen in the video game industry there "certain" customers are obnoxiously vocal, narrowminded, ignorant, and outright toxic when thoughtlessly "criticizing" a video game because it doesn't fit the checkboxes of the fans' comfort zones. That's why developers and big-budget publishers have to be safe now with either brand recognition (endless sequels/remakes) or microtransactions to gain a big following. Niche or small developers relies on very small budgets which require low-cost measures to even break even.

If there is a reason why I post complaints about why most recent Eurovision entries are safe and bland which will never survive in the long term, your statement in this thread is a good summary of this and that head of delegations are pretty greedy.

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
I find this critizism of different sounds/styles in one song highly interesting. Let‘s compare a bit (and I‘m generalizing)

Armenia: Love wave: about 5 different songs in 3 min. sirenes, unidentifiable sounds, lyrics that are so mumbeled you can hardly understand it. Fandom: Slaaaaaay queeeen!

Northern Macedonia: Lost and found: again 3 completely differnt songs/rhythms in one song that don‘t fit together at all. Fandom: Slaaaaaaaay queeeeeen

Azerbaijan: Cleopatra: mix of oriental and egypt sounds, modern elements and buddhist(!!!!) mantra chanting. Fandom: Slaaaaaay queeeen

German guy combines elements like tapdance and brass (quite common combination in the past) with ukulele. Fandom: THIS.IS.ATROCIOUS!!!

I‘m not saying any of these artist was wrong to make these combinations. But the different reaction to these examples makes me wonder if combining „questionable sounds“ is really the cause for the negative feelings the song provokes with some (and I‘m sure these feelings are very authentic).

it combines the wrong and cringy sounds though:(

Sammy

Veteran
it combines the wrong and cringy sounds though:(
I find a combination of tap dance, whistling and brass less strange than a buddhist mantra in a song about an egyptian queen, but that's really a question of personal taste I guess.
On the other hand - whistling in Freddies song for Hungary was considered cool - here it's considered cringey.

I'm not sure but I think this criticism is an effort to rationalize a far deeper and broader feeling of dislike against the whole package of the song. I found that also with songs I deeply hated. It was hard to explain why so I looked for simple reasons and details about it. But I always knew that I wasn't really going to the bottom of understanding my dislike. Maybe I'm overanalyzing here but I find the parallels between my personal experience and what I read in some comments here fascinating.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Might be, I don't know. But this is the fandom of the ESC, once created to unite a war-torn continent through music. Which "officially" prides itself in welcoming everyone.
the esc community welcomes everyone - as long as you are white, western, pretty and with a serious commercial pop song ;)

Mainshow

Veteran
It's funny you mention Armenia'd LoveWave.i heavily disliked and hated that entry as well (it was my last place that year)... I didn't like the mixture of all the different genres in one song either. It was a lot of noise and slurring to me (same applies to Germany's entry this year).

I do love North Macedonia and Azerbaijan, though, since they mixed genres and styles I'm more interested in and to me, the changes don't sound that unpolished and messy like in "I Don't Feel Hate".

I don't think that such criticism is strange by any means. I don't know how other users rank the songs but I listen to each song and come up with an individual entry. I can heavily dislike songs of genres I like and the other way round.

harey

I have showed all selected entries so far to two friends of mine today and Jendrik was their favourite. ❤️

And about his background, yeah I get that it isn't as obvious as Bilal why and what's the song is about but, I mean... a lot of people are bullied at school, rejected because of a lot of stupid reasons (not thin, homosexual, etc.) Why would you think that this song is made of air and he has no reasons to sing that? He is a singer-songwriter, there are a lot of esc songs written by songwriters about love or pain or idk what and your problem is that THIS PARTICULAR SONG get a fake message? I really don't get why you think that far.

Also, thank you @mauve for the talk-show video!

Sammy

Veteran
I don't think that such criticism is strange by any means. I don't know how other users rank the songs but I listen to each song and come up with an individual entry. I can heavily dislike songs of genres I like and the other way round.
I don‘t think the criticism is strange either. I said I found it interesting. The question why we like / dislike songs is really fascinating. The fact that we make the experience that we love/hate music across and through genres, styles, rhythms etc. makes it so intriguing for me.

midnightsun

Veteran
I am pretty sure this will do better with the juries than you all assume. If not, jurors are hypocrites. When did a song with such a strong message NOT get any points?

Top Bottom