Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mimmon

Veteran
I'm confused, I didn't follow the story closely but what's up with the whole "Braids-gate"?

"SJW fighters" will find racism in everything these days and this whole "cancel culture" is really just one big cancer... and the idea of "cultural appropriation" is exaggerated to the point of absurdity (mostly driven by WHITE, self-entitled and self-proclaimed "leftist liberal" tools and internet trolls who have little to no actual education on political ideologies, history or racism as a concept, but are just useful idiots and used as pawns by certain political and financial interest groups to spread division, polarization and hatred among groups in society).

Braids aren't even exclusively "African" to begin with, so I'm not sure what all the drama is about? Braids are just as incorporated into Slavic culture and folklore, long before the vast majority of your average slav even knew anything about Africa... but then again I don't know the details here, can someone be so kind to clarify and quickly summarize what the drama is all about?
I usually abstain from talking about politics and race talk but I agree with you....

DenizESC

Banned
I am a Greek living in Germany, so don't tell me about minorities...
Well sis calm down there and hold up. Being an ethnic minority does not pardon you of ignorance first of all. I'm Turkish living in the Netherlands so also an actual non-western minority and one known for being 'disliked' particularly. I guess our experiences are completely different but that should not have to matter in a world where empathy exists.

Ur posts were the peak of hypocrisy, like ridiculing and claiming posts of a black girl voicing her opinion is fake and then 2 posts further it's all ''it's only white people''. Look at the people that disagree here, mostly non-white people also...

@A-lister I think any modern team can know what the confederate flag stands for especially one even planning to go international. We can all claim this is about political correctness but there is people here saying it's not my culture so I won't care. Isn't that basically how racism or discrimination starts lmao.

Also to the people that are all omg Anxhela HAD to apoligize, unlike you guys she didn't seem to mind getting rid of ignorance at all so speak for ur own truths pls.

A-lister

Veteran
I usually abstain from talking about politics and race talk but I agree with you....

I don't really want to talk about that either, I just want to comprehend what the drama is all about. Since I didn't really dig into it (generally the whole Belarusian national selection is "cancelled" by me but for complete other reasons... read: the Lukashenko regime and current events in the country), I just got a general idea about it but I don't really know the details so maybe if someone could be so kind to easily summarize it (I guess I'm too lazy to read the full discussion), I would maybe "get" what the drama is all about (or maybe not).

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Yeah stay civil please.

Mainshow

Veteran
I can't speak for everyone in here but I think that our posts were meant to say that there is nothing wrong with wanting to wear braids. full stop.

"Cultural appropriation" can't be separated from processes like migration and globalisation, anyway. I even read some Tweets that people were angry about white people dancing K-Pop style to songs because that's "cultural appropriation" as well.

The whole debate in the online community is going way too far.

Thinking that the concept of "cultural appropriation" (like in terms of fashion, personal liking, style etc) is bullshit doesn't equal being in favor of racism. Personally, I think it's the other way round, one can actually accept, respect and appreciate another culture and shift more into a transcultural and more accepting global society instead.

Anxhela's "Blackfacing" issue is a different case, though, I agree.

But wearing braids, dancing to K-Pop, smoking Shisha or hell, going dressed up as a "typical German" to Oktoberfest is neither racist nor bad in the sense of "cultural appropriation"

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister I think any modern team can know what the confederate flag stands for especially one even planning to go international. We can all claim this is about political correctness but there is people here saying it's not my culture so I won't care. Isn't that basically how racism or discrimination starts lmao.

I have no idea what the confederate flag has to do with this, please enlighten me. I just read that people say she can't sing about braids or whatever and that's what I got from this whole story.

DenizESC

Banned
@Mainshow Why are you copying my words? I'm the one talking about people silencing other opinions and ridiculing them, I didn't even speak about the general issue btw coming to the braids thing. But this girl made it known she doesn't mind being ignorant towards black people laughing off the confederate flag thing, like I said any modern team going international should know it's meaning and probably DOES know it's meaning. Attacking people that feel disappointed now ain't it either.

Morty and A-lister if u like his post about silencing people you should like mine first as you know, I said it first.

Read first, try to understand my point then respond. It is a general rule on the web, not doing so is quite rude.

escYOUnited

Administrator
Feel free to have this conversation in the proper forum section. In this thread, please stick to the topic at hand which is Belarus at the Eurovision Song Contest 2021.

Use the link below to access the proper section if you want to continue the discussion about the current situation in Belarus:

We understand that it isn't always easy to seperate these topics when it's related to a specific act. So we don't mind the topic the discussion on cultural appropriation as long as it's directly related to the issue at hand.

When we drift into "Let's talk about the presdient, the politics or call other members names", that's when we have to step in and moderate the conversation. So don't feel discouraged to openly address the issues, but without going at each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
It's not about blaming them for speaking out. But it's the way they go about speaking out which is the issue.
It seems like they have the idea of going on a witch-hunt and thinking that naming and shaming these people is alright, which comes across borderline aggressive. If the artist/person gives an "unsatisfactory" answer, then these "minorities" will drag them. They can't demand change resorting such methods.
I used to have a similar opinion regarding this. Is it more efficient when people are more didactic? Sure. But after having to deal with many years of oppression, not being treated well, being called "toxic and dramatic", I... kinda understand not wanting to be didactic? I am kind of zero intolerance when it comes to xenophobia against my region as well.

And since you mentioned it... I personally think the defenders are being more aggressive? At least when I searched about it on Twitter (when I was looking for the tweets) I remember people calling the ones calling her out as "crazy" (in the most insulting way possible). At least on the "kazna braids" result.

Silencing us because we are "white" and have no rights to have an opinion on an issue isn't ignorant and racist?
sis i love you but please don't.........

A-lister

Veteran
Did I miss something?? Why do we have such a toxic mood here??:confused:

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well but didn't really get a straight answer on xshrug

Apparently a song from a Belarusian national selection can't be about "braids" because it's racism? xshrug I'm just as puzzled as you are but if I'd get more details about it I might at least understand what the "issue" here is.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
And since you mentioned it... I personally think the defenders are being more aggressive? At least when I searched about it on Twitter (when I was looking for the tweets) I remember people calling the ones calling her out as "crazy" (in the most insulting way possible). At least on the "kazna braids" result.
From what I can see, this was all started by someone copy/pasting the same message on Twitter/YouTube about how Kazna is doing cultural appropriation by wearing braids. That kinda set the bar high from the start. And it's been snowballing since.

My take on all of this is that Kazna can and should wear braids if she wants to. It's not illegal to like a hairstyle. The confederate flag thing could definitely have been handled better tho. The apology was kinda weak, but I think it's because Kazna doesn't seem to have very good English skills, and I also don't think she realizes just how bad that flag is. A lot of people in the Western world doesn't realize either, they think it's a symbol of USA, and not a symbol of racism.

escYOUnited

Administrator
We had to much some posts as our friendly reminder was ignored so please make sure that use the appropriate forum section to have this discussion. We encourage your to sometimes have touch conversations (as long as you're being respectful), but let's keep this section dedicated to the contest. Thanks much!

A-lister

Veteran
From what I can see, this was all started by someone copy/pasting the same message on Twitter/YouTube about how Kazna is doing cultural appropriation by wearing braids. That kinda set the bar high from the start. And it's been snowballing since.

My take on all of this is that Kazna can and should wear braids if she wants to. It's not illegal to like a hairstyle. The confederate flag thing could definitely have been handled better tho. The apology was kinda weak, but I think it's because Kazna doesn't seem to have very good English skills, and I also don't think she realizes just how bad that flag is. A lot of people in the Western world doesn't realize either, they think it's a symbol of USA, and not a symbol of racism.

What's the thing with the flag here? What actually happened? Did they use the flag in a promotion or performance? I'm confused xshrug

On a side-note, even in Sweden, probably the most PC country on the planet, we have a not-too-well-educated subculture consisting of mostly young rural males (teens to 20s) who drive around in their small towns or rural areas in trimmed cars and Americana models, every now and then with confederate flags. I doubt they know much of American history, they just think the flag looks "cool" and yeah, thinking it's one of many symbols of America. I'm not a supporter of the flag due to the fact that I know what it symbolizes in an American context, but I guess ignorance goes both ways, both not understanding what the flag in a sense stood for and the history but also thinking American history and context and understanding of it can be applied on the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Brandt

I hope Belarus manages to send something cool like they've done in the past years like "Help you fly", "Time", "Story of my life", or even further back "Work Your Magic".

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I guess there are posts being deleted here now because the discussion has diverged way off topic. Which is fair game, probably not aimed at anyone in particular.

Yeah, that.

We put out a friendly reminder to use the appropriate section of the forum for such dialoge. Nobody is being silenced, you can still have this conversation, just not in this particular thread. This is not aimed at anyone in particular so nobody is targeted here...just everday Mod responsibilities. Anything off-topic after our initial response has been moved. Hope this clears it up.

Top Bottom