Contact us

JESC 2022

Bobjan FR

I am on my ass 🀣🀣🀣

I don't understand. Really πŸ₯². How ? Even Mariam 2016 was more understandable πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I Saw the live , i was thinkinh " he's not even singing... And thΓ© staging looks basic. It's Dead, we will end UP in bottom 5 "

🀣🀣🀣🀣

Since i watch eurovision, it's the FIRST Time we finish higher than expected. And not just a bit higher πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ezio

Veteran
I can't. They really introduced the terrible Melfest public voting system there, which are horribly skewed.

Ewigkeit

Veteran
How did :kz: do so poorly? I thought it was a great song xthink And :mt:, like wtf? It was the real deal bop of the night. :mk: :rs: :al: are also all robbed.

Random.org results seriously, especially the French winning

12Pointsgoto.....

This is the biggest shock in esc history that I have ever witnessed. All other winners ever in both contests have had at least some merit to them, even Azerbaijan 2011. Lissandro was practically screaming the song and the staging was extremely basic. There are about 2 notes sung in key throughout the entire song, and at one point I had to turn the sound off because it was giving me a headache. I predicted this to come last, even Pravi's songwriting wasn't great on this one. I guess we're going back to france, will Armenia win in france to continue this pattern. Georgia was also robbed, by both juries and televoters. Basically any song that got fewer points than france was robbed of at least on position. Georgia should have come first or second in the televotes, not 12th. Serbia was robbed too, they should have come top 10 at least. I guess at least it will be hosted in france, who are very good hosts.

macmillanandwife

Well, didn't see France's win coming. This is Adult ESC 2015 all over again where the jury trumped the televote. Although in this case, this is the closest online vote result since its inception! Here are the results of the online vote.

1) :uk: - 80
2) :es: - 78
3) :fr: - 71
=4) :am: - 70
=4) :pt: - 70
=4) :nl: - 70
7) :ua: - 64
8) :ie: - 62
=9) :it: - 53
=9) :pl: - 53
11) :rs: - 51
12) :ge: - 47
13) :al: - 43
=14) :kz: - 42
=14) :mk: - 42
16) :mt: - 33

There's only a 47 point difference between the first and last places, whereas the jury results were much more skewed. It's the complete opposite to the televote results in the adult contest this year. I am very interested in the online vote count when it's released. Honestly, I'm blown away by how strong these performances were for all the entries this year, just like the past couple of years. I expected France to do well (top 8), but not win. Although, personally I had no idea who was going to win this year.

Honestly, :am: did a great job hosting and producing this year's show! Congrats in the :uk: for winning the online vote, and :ie: :pt: reaching their highest placings in the contest! All well deserved. The EBU will seriously have to reconsider the online voting system as using percentages for the public vs absolute numbers to the jury does skew the results to the jury's favor.

I missed the online voting, but I would have chosen :pt: :rs: & :ge:, but would have also chosen :uk: & :ie: as well. It would have been a pretty difficult choice.

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
To be honest I can't deny Stefania is THAT ethnic hop song that a lot of televoters would gravitate towards. However, the publicity about the war did add to how exaggerated its points had become. Like, getting 12s from almost every country? People seemed to think that sending televotes sounded like showing support to Ukraine, too.

I feel the UA delegation still have that war-based motive when sending Nezlamna. However, aside of the song being alright, people didn't talk about the war the way it was before. Adding to how JESC targets demographics that weren't expected to care about the war anyways, nothing can be harvested from selling the war in a children's contest.
EXACTLY.

Of course it's natural for them to have a war-based motive when sending an entry, it's the reality in the country at the moment. But unlike Kalush, they did not make it "in your face".
You could barely tell the song is about the war, apart from 2 unintelligible lines in broken English.
And most JESC target audience is the younger Gen-Z fans (12-20 yo age group) and the older die-hard fans who follow it just because it's an offshoot of the main contest. This audience does not really take politics into consideration when they send their votes.

Writing this off just for future reference:
If Ukraine doesn't win again next year in May, people will be like "Seeeeeee, Kalush would have won anyway regardless of the war" smh xd

Just as you said, as time goes by, the attention is drawn away. Everybody was talking about covid around this time last year, now it's totally off agenda.

hijirio

Veteran
Now my thoughts about the show

I did expect France to do well with the juries, but 3rd place with the televotes really caught me offguard. J'imagine winning was also unexpected to me, considering how Jamais Sans Toi and Bim Bam Toi were robbed.
Still it's a cute little child singing a lively song, a formula that works well in this contest. I came to realize tall and mature looking contestants are at disadvantage, am I wrong?

I'm still heartbroken about Kazakhstan, I had goosebumps throughout the 3 minutes.

Georgia was too good for JESC, send her to the adult contest now. That televote result was a brutal robbery.

I'm happy for Ireland getting its best result to date, however, Realta na Mara and Banshee were wayyyyyyyyy better imho.

Armenia was toooooooooooo good, I was rooting for them to get that double win. And they did a great job with hosting! Iveta marry me xheat

Mainshow

Veteran
The public/televoters at the adult version of the contest donΒ΄t take politics into account, either.

In 2016, Sergey Lazarav was #1 and Jamala #2.
Russia already invaded Georgia and Ukraine at that time and annexed the peninsula of Crimea and introduced anti-LGTBQ+ rules - still, they won the televoting. Does it mean that European viewers support imperialism?

Again, "Stefania" clearly got some votes due to the war - it would have never got all these 12Β΄s - yet, it could be the case that it still would have won without the war (the televoting, at least).

Many fans already complained about UkraineΒ΄s participation at JESC - That they would be winning again.. that they shouldnΒ΄t take part at all (and just be an interval act). FB groups, Wiwi comments and even on this forum.
They didnΒ΄t even finish Top 6 out of 16 participants in the "online voting".

-------

ArmeniaΒ΄s stage was freaking amazing (and it somehow looked better than what we got in Turin - due to the broken, dead sun).
IΒ΄d love Armenia to host the event soon (if it didnΒ΄t result into Azerbaijan withdrawing from the contest :( )

AlekS

Veteran
He also got some angry emojis on FB - I mean, seriously, guys... itΒ΄s a kid... thatΒ΄s unacceptable and rude.
Let him enjoy his victory and if you donΒ΄t like it - donΒ΄t go to social media and dislike his pics or videos.
He deleted his Instagram and then restored it again. Or maybe sickos reported him (I wouldn't be surprised).
People twice, thrice or even 4 times his age bullying a kid just because their fave didn't win is another low by eurohaters.
I followed last year's JESC very closely and all kids had direct access to their Insta accounts from their phones, meaning he saw all the toxic bs.
On his place I would be happy to see these butthurt-fireworks tho :sneaky:

EDC0708

Really enjoyed the contest this year, great to see UK back taking part again (although with the ratings only being around 700k, I imagine the BBC might not try again next year, although their work on the entry this year was fantastic, and I imagine Freya might have won if she hadn't been ill.)

An excellent selection of songs this year too!

shameless

I also liked mostly the show but there were some off moments: the winners reunion felt very rushed and it was sad, that there were so many of them missing. As expected, the russian and belurasian winners were not approached. What a shame to punish innocent young people for something, they have nothing to do with. It also is weird that none of the absent winners was posting anything about it on their social media. It would be interesting to know how some of them feel now about it.
Also the dead-silence in the studio after Lissandros win was awkward. Obviously the audience was rooting for the runner-up. Luckily it didn't take away the joy of his moment of glory. I still think the announcement of the public vote is very cruel and even moreso for children. Was hoping that they wouldn't zoom into the face of each of them when their score was announced as they started to do on ESC. These are the things that I don't need to see on a competition like that.
Very curious where it will be next year. Nice would be nice. :D
It's crazy how far JESC has become. Some years ago it looked like it might be cancelled and now the show got so big in comparison to the early editions where the audience was much smaller. It's also interesting to see how most of the children now speak perfect english, something that also differs to the "old age" where the winners could only say "thank you". I just hope that all of its growing is not on the expense of the children and their joy to participate

ESCConor

Really enjoyed the contest this year, great to see UK back taking part again (although with the ratings only being around 700k, I imagine the BBC might not try again next year, although their work on the entry this year was fantastic, and I imagine Freya might have won if she hadn't been ill.)

An excellent selection of songs this year too!

The UK Delegation have said that their participation in JESC is not a one off.

"The value is also shared within the wider BBC too as Lee stated that the BBC’s involvement with the contest is not short term and is long term. Also he stated that there are plans for a ”televised final and audition shows” presumably on CBBC".

Last edited:

Rmetr0

Sorry for the long message, but I guess I wanted to express all my impressions on being to the live JESC shows, so... here it is and I even made the headings, so it's maybe little easier to read πŸ˜…

Scoreboard in the arena
I don't know if you know about this or not, but it was interesting how there were no scoreboard on screens in the arena, so the participants actually didn't know their position even after announcing their points.

My impressions
And yeah, I was there twice and the final show was the whole different level by emotions, energy and impressions than the jury show! 🀩
It was especially cool to see all the participants together on one stage while and after the winning song was performed, they all stayed there for a while and those who stayed in the arena had the opportunity to come closer to them, wave and even say some nice words to them and have the reaction back (having eye contact with Freya was something else to me personally, omg, she looked so happy and I am sooooooooo happy she actually won the online voting πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§).
Idk if Gaia knew her result, but she looked so happy too 😊
And also people in the final show seemed to be more willing to talk to each other, so I managed to make new friends with people from different countries, and I even went with some of them to the cafe after the show, and it was something unforgettable to me πŸ€©πŸ€©πŸ€—
Oh, and also had the chance to see Niko Kajaia really-really close to me after leaving the arena 😍😍

About the results
Speaking about results, I am shocked to see Malta last and Kazakhstan last with juries. But on the other hand, I am happy that North Macedonia is not last πŸ‘‰πŸ»πŸ‘ˆπŸ»
I am also happy for Portugal, so great to see their first top-10 and best result so far, I kinda underestimated Nicolas...
And I am also soooooo happy for Ireland, I also underestimated Sophie, I thought the staging was kinda empty, looking at it from the arena (and it was hard to hear how good the vocals were), but I guess, it was much better on screen πŸ€”
Also I kinda saw Georgian online flop coming.

About the winner
And I didn't see France winning as well as many of people, but I liked him more than the community from the very beginning, I should say!
The song was pretty catchy and memorable, the staging looked both viewers and jury friendly (but I agree that his vocals were questionable), and also some of my friends and mom, who don't really follow Eurovision, said that they like him after I showed them rehearsal clips πŸ™‚
And I also wanna mention my favourite part of him – it's how he made his starting pose while the stage were getting ready (while the postcard), people in the arena seemed to like that part too by screaming (which wasn't heard on the live broadcast).

Other interesting notes
- People's in the arena reactions to Nare, Malena and Rosa Linn >>>>>> reactions to all the other parts of the show (πŸ”ŠβŒπŸ‘‚πŸ»).
- Some girls in the fanzone cried after it was clear Nare did not win.
- On the jury show Spain and (surprisingly) Malta were greeted the most loudly.
- As you may now, Freya did not perform on jury show, they showed her perfomance that day but earlier. However, Freya was present in the opening.
- As you also know, Katarina did not perform on final show, and she wasn't present at all.
- But on the jury show Katarina performed twice due to technical problems.
- They also did not manage to get the stage ready by the time postcard ended for Netherlands on the jury show, just like in the live show too. However, they also did not manage to get the stage ready for Armenia in the jury show. But they managed to do so in the live show because... they started to hang this huge disco ball during the empty stage while Katarina's recorded performance πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
- It was fun to dance to Italy's "winning" performance on the jury show, even tho it wasn't her, but the hosts and some people from delegation I guess dancing on the stage instead πŸ˜‚
- On the jury show they also had a part when Garik and Iveta competed to be the first one to announce the points, and they did it on some slow cars, Iveta won, and if I remember correctly, then Robin opened the envelope and said he won πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (not sure about the last part, but the race was there 100%). So, for some reason they did not include that in the live show.
- Also jury show started straight with participants singing common song, so that first part with Malena, hanging drummers and dancing cameras was the surprise πŸ˜€

Last edited:

Rmetr0

And now, here's what I originally wanted to post πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Here's a little experiment I did after seeing some comments on online voting points being too flat.

Firstly, I raised them online points to such power, so the highest online score have 132 points, just like jury's winner.
Note: the last place has now 8 points.

And secondly, I did the same, but so the lower score has 5 points, just like jury's.
Note: the winner has now 152 points.

And after that I manually found such power, so the winner and the last place have the average score between the above calculations ((132 + 152) / 2 = 142 for the winner; and (5 + 8) / 2 = 6.5 for the last place – it can't be 6.5, so should be 6 or 7, I chose variant with 7 because it gave 929 points, just like in real results).

And then I added those points to the jury's scores and here's what happened to the results

Would be cooler to do such thing on the raw votes tho, but EBU never releases them... 🐡

macmillanandwife

I am so happy @Rmetr0 you had an amazing time and you were able to meet with the contestants! They all deserved a huge round of applause for how amazing they all performed. As I said before, I am surprised France won, but he doesn't deserve all that hate and vitriol he received. His performance and winning kind of reminds me of France Gall's win in 1965. Her performance was lackluster, but she still won. Hell, her boyfriend at the time told her that her performance sucked right after she sang that night, but she still won.

After watching the Macedonian entry, it made me realize this contest has gotten way too serious for a kid's show. Their performance was on point and they sang their hearts out, but they were placed 14th. It felt like the only reason they did so poorly was due to their song being the most "kid friendly" of the entries this year. I am also glad they're not last.

Just like last year, this year was so strong that none of the contestants deserved to be last. However, I would like to see the results if people were not allowed to vote for their own countries. As in, all of those votes were cancelled. I would do some deep internet dumpster diving for that. Would the results be this close as like in the official result?

Top Bottom