Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Ezio

Veteran
I think UK was a bit overrated this year. First time in ages they send a professional act with a very good song and the juries sucked. it. up. But it was a radio-friendly brit pop performed by a competent singer. In terms of charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent, I would have given the jury win to Chanel. It's way more original, captivating and iconic. No eurofan will forget SloMo for the rest of their lives.

NDR will say, look UK won with a radio song, we don't have to change anything.

I also think the Ukraine was way underrated in the jury voting. I know juries are there to counter biases, but Ukraine would have deserved 100 points more from the juries because their song is really fresh, exciting, captivating, emotional, creative and a bop.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I think UK was a bit overrated this year. First time in ages they send a professional act with a very good song and the juries sucked. it. up. But it was a radio-friendly brit pop performed
I keep seeing this claim about Space Man being "brit pop" in what world is it brit pop? The only Brit Pop song to ever be played at Eurovision was Georgia 2016

esc87fan

Did you notice a couple of interesting parallels between last year and this year?

1. The countries that eventually finished in 2nd and 3rd place overall each got 8 sets of 12 points from the juries in the final (France and Switzerland in 2021, UK and Spain in 2022)
2. The country in 4th place with the juries in the final won the televote, as well as the contest itself (Italy last year, Ukraine this year)
3. A country won a Marcel Bezençon Award for the first time ever (Switzerland's first win was the Composer Award last year, UK's first win was the Press Award this year). Coincidentally, both these countries won the jury vote and placed in the top 3 overall

musicfan

I think UK was a bit overrated this year. First time in ages they send a professional act with a very good song and the juries sucked. it. up. But it was a radio-friendly brit pop performed by a competent singer. In terms of charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent, I would have given the jury win to Chanel. It's way more original, captivating and iconic. No eurofan will forget SloMo for the rest of their lives.

NDR will say, look UK won with a radio song, we don't have to change anything.

I also think the Ukraine was way underrated in the jury voting. I know juries are there to counter biases, but Ukraine would have deserved 100 points more from the juries because their song is really fresh, exciting, captivating, emotional, creative and a bop.

I don't think Chanel was original at all. Subwoolfer was fresher.

The BBC entry was somewhat overrated but up makes it for being underrated some years I suppose. The song contest aspect ended a long time ago, it's more about charisma on stage, and having a vocal that people think is cool.

12Pointsgoto.....

Sara James slayed AGT. So happy she got the golden buzzer. I love how they were like: It must be so exciting and scary to perform in front of this big audience, as if she didn't just get 2nd in a competition with millions of viewers.

Bobjan FR

It's official, Ukraine won't host ESC 2023 ! Wise decision imo, the organisation of 2017 was already chaotic, now with the actual context i can't imagine.

Logically UK should host, but it's not confirmed.

12Pointsgoto.....

Well, the Ukrainian minister for culture and these kind of things released a statement saying that this decision was not made with the approval of the Ukrainian broadcaster, and that they demand that the contest will be held in Ukraine, or at least a decision not be made yet. I understand that it is sad that it cannot be hosted in Ukraine, but realistically, it was never possible. The lack of infrastructure and transportation, as well as hotels for all the fans and delegations is the first problem. The EBU cannot guarantee the safety of all the delegations, with all that is happening right now. And while there is a big chance that the war will be over in May, there is no way to be certain. Staging such a huge competition takes the full 12 months to do, and a full month has already passed and only now the bid for host cities are starting. In 2017, Ukraine barely managed to get the show together, there is no way to do it now. And with bombs dropping everywhere while we speak, do we really want to risk an even larger war, just to host in Ukraine.

12Pointsgoto.....

It's official, Ukraine won't host ESC 2023 ! Wise decision imo, the organisation of 2017 was already chaotic, now with the actual context i can't imagine.

Logically UK should host, but it's not confirmed.
I am pretty sure it is confirmed now, though there are still protests from the Ukrainian broadcaster.

hpp0

After this year's LoT, where almost all were just a discount version of their ESC/NF performance, do you think there is any point for EBU to keep releasing them ?

musicfan

After this year's LoT, where almost all were just a discount version of their ESC/NF performance, do you think there is any point for EBU to keep releasing them ?
They've now finished releasing them for this year's songs I believe. I see no harm at all, particularly with the bad camerawork and loud audience in Turin. Very happy to see the Montenegrin one for example.

If you don't like something don't watch it, let others do that.

Last edited:

DanielLuis

Hopefully next year there won't be any need for the recording of LoT's at all in the first place anyway.

hpp0

They've now finished releasing them for this year's songs I believe. I see no harm at all, particularly with the bad camerawork and loud audience in Turin. Very happy to see the Montenegrin one for example.

If you don't like something don't watch it, let others do that.

There is no harm of course, but for me there isn't any point either since they are the same performances and many are quite effortless. I just don't think that they add anything, but if people want them then sure, that's why I asked in first place.

Hopefully next year there won't be any need for the recording of LoT's at all in the first place anyway.

Well except from the virus, LoTs could be used and for other cases that something unexpected happens. For example, if Mikolas Josef, who got injured during the rehearsals, hadn't recovered in time for the show, they could have used a LoT for his performance.

12Pointsgoto.....

Just realized Polina Gagarina sang Cookoo in a pro-putin rally recently. I am suprised that I didn't hear about it until today, since she is quite famous in china.

Top Bottom