Dañsal a ran gant an diaoul ha para ?

Entan ha taras, entan jabadao ha taras
Trid' a ra ar c’hoad ouzh stok' ar fulenn a-bilpaz
He hud dudius a bign betek penn ar qwez bras

Oc'h ober fae deus ar fall loened e tañsan
Me bak an tan en o lagad leun a droukc’hoant
Ha da dreiñ 'n'añ en ur c'han da gan' a-unvan

Dispont 'kreiz an digoadell e tans ar fulenn
Trein ha distreiñ en-dro de'i eneoù dichedenn (bis)

Lalalalalalaleno lalelalo

Dañsal a ran gant an diaoul ha para ?
Ga' 'n diaoul e tañsan
Dañsal a ra gant an diaoul ha para ?

Dispont 'kreiz an digoadenn e tañs ar fulenn

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoTen

What actually happened? This entry deserved top 10...
What I gathered was the weird random looking dancing, and normal French speaking non-French didn't understand the Breton or the act. The running order also didn't help it. It was drowned in a number of low televote songs. I thought it was a decent dance song.

HarryUK

What I gathered was the weird random looking dancing, and normal French speaking non-French didn't understand the Breton or the act. The running order also didn't help it. It was drowned in a number of low televote songs. I thought it was a decent dance song.
The running order at the start did baffle me to be honest, shoving 2 upbeat songs on to open and then boring us all to death with 2 ballads and a rock group that really should know better

Honestly I was expecting high points from public but low from jury. Couldn't see that flop coming!
I guess people expect certain things from countries. Classy ballads, simple staging from :fr: for example, not mid-tempo folkish song. And those camera angles changing every milisecond gave me headaches. Didn't help for sure.

Better luck next year. Maybe french rap with some catchy beats to shake ass? :mrgreen:

Actually, French have great ethnic rap groups, I salute to this idea 😁

John1

Were they better indeed they'd have won instead. Fulenn remains an ethno-electro masterpiece xx ✨
As I said before, I absolutely love Fulenn and wish it did far better than it did last night. However, there were, indeed, much better entries that had way more potential being staged in Italy.

Fulenn didn't work as an entry and was never meant to when the first rehearsals' footage came out. Don't get me wrong, I think that - with more communication and hype building around our entry - it would have fared better. It didn't have that "wow factor" or whatsoever and didn't translate well on stage.

Where were the ethnic elements? What was the story behind the lyrics? I do understand Breton, but I found it really hard to read through the performance, since there was no storytelling at all behind it.

Let's take the reference point of ethnic-sounding & Fulenn-alike entries: Witch Wood. I bet that, if Alvan & Ahez incorporated this kind of visual storytelling into their performance, which indeed had this wow factor, they would easily have made it to the top 10. In this case, they didn't and the juries/televoting paid them dust for a reason. xqueenbitch

cegs5

As much as I like the song, it wasn’t enough to pick up the phone and vote for them. Something was missing, the performance was overall underwhelming and got lost in the first half which was the most competitive. Nevertheless, I salute France for being bold, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn’t.

Last edited:

soulm8

Shame indeed. I was reading comments like “ nothing French there” and “this sounds just like Go_A”… I guess these are some of the reasons this one failed.

popavapeur

I'd love for us to keep sending daring entries but I fear this gonna become an argument "yeah we tried one time that was enough can we send Barbibi Provouvou now with the song "Voici" " nooooooo we're doomed.

I wonder if the melodifestivalen-like is still in the making or not though. They really wanted at some point a bigger show with semi finals each held in a different city, with the big final in Paris. I thought that was a pretty cool idea that may not work in viewing figures at first but then can be a strong format in the coming years. Maybe that's too expensive but come on, it's not like France Television is a poor broadcaster.

Zeus

Big 5 entries don't have a first performance in a semi, they need hype. People talking about it. High in the odds. And a good running order in the GF.

I honestly feel that there can only be like two and a maximum of three outstanding big 5-entries. The others suffer from it. They are the entries people talk about the least.

midnightsun

Veteran
I hope Alvan & Ahez are gonna read how much they are loved by the fan bubble!

Unfortunately there were some things that really went wrong in their performance in the grand final. When it was over I had a bad feeling. As much as I love the band and the song, I instantly knew this would not be doing as well as the die hard fans hoped for. You could simply feel it.

Fulenn was also the song that was most affected by the running order. Not their starting position, I think it wouldn’t have mattered if they were 1st or at 12, but the point is… coming right before Norway was actually a death sentence. It‘s very rare that a song is harmed that much but indeed they were unlucky.

Also, songs that are somehow similar to anything we‘ve heard the years before, tend to fail. People just don’t vote again for stuff they have voted for in the past.
It happend to France because we already had Go_A last year (and you just can’t deny the similarities, even Alvan himself said this). They were not the only ones. Poland had some Arcade-ish chorus and it did worse than expected. Finland did not as well as we all expected because last year, Blind Channel and Maneskin had their moment and rock wasn’t a thing again this year. Latvia copied Belgium 2016 and it didn’t work. Lithuania went all chanson like Pravi which wasn’t that successful in the end.

So, as Sweden would say: You found the right song at the wrong time … ;)

I wish them all the best. Alvan‘s EP is gorgeous, it’s so good! He should go on with his experimental music and never stop! :love:

Deleted member 12761

How many people watched it in :fr:??
According to Eurovoix 3.1 mio. people which is over 2 mio. less than last year and even in comparison to the previous years it's much lower. I'm not french so I don't know what explains this big drop but after this I wouldn't be surprised if they send "traditional" songs and no more experiments.

ory26

It was still the most watched program of the night.
All channels had see their audience drop, mostly because we had a sunny weather and peoples prefer to be outside.
The fact there was nearly no promotion and hype for the song didn't help.

Bobjan FR

According to Eurovoix 3.1 mio. people which is over 2 mio. less than last year and even in comparison to the previous years it's much lower. I'm not french so I don't know what explains this big drop but after this I wouldn't be surprised if they send "traditional" songs and no more experiments.

About the audience, I suspect (and not only me) that having our elections before and after the contest drain a bit the attention medias accord to it, and there is a the war as well.

jeriswani

The song is great but was always going to be risky. I appreciate France for taking the risk. There is a lot of factors that I think lead to this. The performance did feel a bit amateur for me. Things like that can really make or break a song. People tend to vote on something that gives them “star quality”.

Top Bottom