Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

SarahM

Could the stage designers hang an LED screen for the acts that primarily use LEDs for their performance (like what Israel have done) - It would resolve the issue of the black sun, or is it simply too late to get a new element of the stage sourced, approved, delivered?

ItsJaden

So Belgium's another country that has to rely on stage pressence and lighting.
What a difference from yesterday. We all know what Cornelia's gonna bring, so she won't be bothered. She will stand out so much after 7 lights only performances lol

I'm calling it.. Winner staging is... Cyprus and low key Azerbaijan :)

nudiecrudi

Could the stage designers hang an LED screen for the acts that primarily use LEDs for their performance (like what Israel have done) - It would resolve the issue of the black sun, or is it simply too late to get a new element of the stage sourced, approved, delivered?
I don't think it would be difficult to hire LED walls, there are so many companies here in Italy that can provide, or in France and Switzerland not that far from Torino.
I don't understand why it's not possible.
In some stagings, eg Romania, the first small half of the sun is on, the Led is visible. At least using that part which making some proportion shuoldbe somehow 3 Mt high

Yoozek

It would be tragic-comic if Italy would win again 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Now imagine Graham Norton (and the others) NOT mentioning that 70% of your screen is basically black with some lights because Italians couldn't make it work in time. Will they win in the nearest future? No way.

lacrymea

To my Italian friends on this platform:

Don't be discouraged. I'm sure you'll give the world a great show. I'm sure you'll continue to grace us with top3 songs for a long time.

This entire drama about kinetic suns and what not comes with the territory. They feed the ultra fans with backstage stuff and preparation and well... People have to talk about something.

Apart from us looney people, no one will know there was supposed to be a moving sun that doesn't move or LED that were only on paper or whatever.

We'll see a great show on a great stage and the world will keep on moving. The sun won't, but that's our little secret xD

Last edited:

SarahM

I don't think it would be difficult to hire LED walls, there are so many companies here in Italy that can provide, or in France and Switzerland not that far from Torino.
I don't understand why it's not possible.
In some stagings, eg Romania, the first small half of the sun is on, the Led is visible. At least using that part which making some proportion shuoldbe somehow 3 Mt high
Hopefully the EBU will figure something out. It's a pity the sun isn't working as it should, but I do admire them for coming up with an ambitious design. It's vey sad reading nasty comments online. I'm sure there will be a solution, we just don't know what it is yet. There will be technicians working around the clock to try and come up with a compromise, there is a reason why there are so many rehearsals.

Heading to Turin next week and can't wait, I love visiting Italy and it will be even more special with the Eurovision buzz! Italy is also my favourite to win this year. To any Italian Eurovision fans - try to ignore the mean comments and enjoy the build-up, I think it will be a great year. xheart

nudiecrudi

To my Italian friends on this platform:

Don't be discouraged. I'm sure you'll give the world a great show. I'm sure you'll continue to grace us with top3 songs for a long time.

This entire drama about kinetic suns and what not comes with the territory. They feed the ultra fans with backstage stuff and preparation and well... People have to talk about something.

Apart from us looney people, no one will know there was supposed to be a moving sun that doesn't move or LED that were only on paper or whatever.

We'll see a great show in a great stage and the world will keep on moving. The sun won't, but that's our little secret xD
Or maybe moving it only for opening and intetval acts or voting time would be like thought only for that purpose. A little bit expensive, but hey we are italians 🤣🤣🤣

MopManMoss

Veteran
Now imagine Graham Norton (and the others) NOT mentioning that 70% of your screen is basically black with some lights because Italians couldn't make it work in time. Will they win in the nearest future? No way.
I doubt that'll do anything, the UK rarely gives Italy points for some reason

nofuxCZ

The Czech gallery is here.

Visually it looks amazing :eek: I knew our stage designer wouldn't disappoint. I am glad the non working sun is not affecting the performance. Now I am even more excited to see this live in the arena next week

lacrymea

Or maybe moving it only for opening and intetval acts or voting time would be like thought only for that purpose. A little bit expensive, but hey we are italians 🤣🤣🤣
Mark my words. Regular people won't even notice that there's a moving sun here and there.

I find all of this very amusing xD But I understand the Italian fans worries. We got a pre-show sh**storm coming our way not so long ago lol

But relax and don't pay too much attention to it 😘

0scar

The problem isn't that it will eventually be fine and the casual viewer won't notice anything wrong because they don't know better, the problem is how this could have happened.

Teams are months in preparing a staging that will fit their performance as good as possible with all the possibilities the stage has, and by the looks of it, now just three days before rehearsals start, some delegations are denied that opportunity because the production realized they don't have enough time to rotate the kinetic sun for every performance(??????). That doesn't mean that eventually those countries cannot have a good staging anymore but it is just unfair and messy to say the least.
It is even worse than water sipping into the engine of the kinetic sun and it being stuck on this side.

That hasn't to do anything with Italy as a country or Italians but in all honesty, there actually is someone(s) from the production to blame for this, and either way that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of fans and probably even more of delegations.

It doesn't help that there is no official statement from EBU/RAI, it has a hint of secrecy that isn't a good look tbh.
Italian fans shouldn't be so hard on themselves though.

crashworld

Veteran
Here are my thoughts of the second half of SF2:
  • Interestingly, this half is relying heavily on the LED screens. I believe all acts except Sweden used the LED screen backdrop, so all are getting impacted by the black sun.
  • If I am being completely honest, the first 4 acts' stagings (Ireland, North Macedonia, Estonia and Romania) look either underwhelming or just alright. Think they really need to depend on the camera shots now.
  • As for Poland, seems like the only country that decides to use a headshot of the artist on the LED screen (ala ESC 2017). I don't mind it coz Ochman is gorgeous, so he needs to be seen. I like the idea of the dancers being the symbols of inner demons/struggles, similar to Australia 2019's dementors. Ochman is emoting a lot of better. Feel this performance is also going to be relying on close-up shots and camera work.
  • As for Montenegro, it's unfortunate that coming after Poland with a similar colour palette. But it seems like we have an element that we have yet seen in the rehearsal clip/gallery (even though Vladana did hint in the TikTok clip). The ESC live blog did talk about it (ie. a huge light-up circular disc on her back) but it got removed. So it could be something interesting to look out for.
  • Again, Belgium giving us nothing for staging, so the camera work and dance choreography need to be tight. If not, it's screaming NQ for now.
  • Sweden, well, as usual, Melfast staging as expected. But I was surprised that they didn't use the b-stage and small prop is right in front of the sun. So it's going to be close-up shots all over. A pan-out shot to expose the black sun will ruin the performance in entirety.
  • Czech Republic, good light show (not so good for those with epilepsy). The staging looks pretty good. Vocally, Domenika seems to have it. Let's see if she can continue to hit her notes right on the jury and live shows.
  • All in all, the first half of SF2 has a better variation in terms of staging concepts. So it is kinda disappointing knowing 2nd half seems a little samey-samey.
And also, with regards to the black sun/hole (whatever you want to call it) saga:
  • If I am being honest, while the overreactions/meltdown/insults are not welcomed, but the criticisms are valid. This is impacting at least more than half of the delegations, so it is really disappointing on a professional level. Instead of being open about it, they chose to skirt around the issue. Till now, we have yet to properly receive an official statement about it.
  • And to the Italian fans, while I get it's tiresome and disparaging to read those awful comments, but I hope you can differentiate the trolls and the ones who are sounding out their true and valid disappointments.
  • And also, by saying you (ie. Italians fans) want Italy to withdraw from the subsequent contests, firstly you are just feeding the trolls what they want. And secondly, it will look like Italy cannot take a slightest (and yet valid) criticism and appear borderline a sore loser when in actual fact, this is a screw up from the Italian broadcaster and the staging design team.
  • While people may say this is could be a small element and people may not notice with good camera work/edits/angles, but imagine what we could have gotten if the kinetic sun is meant to do what it is supposed to. We could have one of the best shows in history.

Last edited:
Top Bottom