Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Jonkonfui

Most-streamed Eurovision 2022 songs on Spotify yesterday (Mar 29):
1. Brividi (413,028 streams) 🇮🇹
2. Hold Me Closer (245,156) 🇸🇪
3. De diepte (212,014) 🇳🇱
4. Halo (90,340) 🇦🇹
5. SloMo (79,513) 🇪🇸
6. Give That Wolf a Banana (77,295) 🇳🇴
7. Stefania (76,724) 🇺🇦
It makes sense... 1 Brividi they get depressed 2 Hold me closer they carry on being depressed 3 De diepte on the verge of suicide 4 Lumix fighting depression 4 Slomo overcoming depression...

MopManMoss

Veteran
Does anyone know what country the sixth highest contributor is to Eurovision? I can't find anything concrete online

midnightsun

Veteran
Does anyone know what country the sixth highest contributor is to Eurovision? I can't find anything concrete online
The fees the countries have to pay are calculated based on the population of the country. The bigger the population the higher the contribution.

So I guess the country with the most inhabitants will pay the most.

/edit: out of curiosity I looked it up and it seems that other factors play a role too. So every country is apparently part of a system where points are assigned to every country, based on how much they use the offered footage of Eurovision. This influences the contribution. Countries are not obliged to publish the fees they are paying. Many of them keep it a secret.
However I found some numbers…

LandTeilnahmegebühren an die EBU
Germany (2015)363.500 Euro
Germany (2017)380.000 Euro
Germany (2018)400.800 Euro
Germany (2019)405.100 Euro
Germany (2021)396.452 Euro
Netherlands (2016)250.000 Euro
Spain (2015)356.000 Euro
Romania (2014)130.000 Euro
Ireland (2013)70.000 Euro
Greece (2012)120.000 Euro
Montenegro (2012)23.000 Euro
Malta (2010)80.000 Euro

Last edited:

Jonkonfui

Montenegro 2015 (or so) Adio song is the best Eurovision song of the last 10 years.
What is Montenegro language called? Montenegrian?

Last edited:

Lance Esgard

The sixth highest contributor to Eurovision for a given year where a Big Five nation does not win appears to technically be one of the Big Five countries.

On the official Eurovision FAQ page under 'How is the Eurovision Song Contest financed?' it states that the Participation Fees for all nations amount to a total of €6.2 million, with the amount per nation varying, and the 'strongest shoulders carry the most weight'. That refers to what we already know, that the Big 5 pay the highest in Participation Fees. In a few dates cases we even know what this amount was: a Freedom of Information request officially answered how much the BBC (as a the Big 5 member) paid in 2009 and 2010. By the way, the BBC also stated that "the licence fee is calculated by reference to broadcasters’ total turnover and other contributions to the EBU," so the amount of the participation fee is not based on population size, but rather how much money they have available/other factors.

It also states the funding sources for the ESC include 'a contribution from the Host Broadcaster, which is generally between €10 and €20 million, depending on local circumstances and available resources' plus further contributions by the Host City.

So in turns of direct financial contributions to the EBU (NOT the same as the production budget), the single biggest contributor is the Host Country/Broadcaster and then the Big Five follow.

So that's an answer for many years of Eurovision...but not this year.

Last edited:

Lindon

The fees the countries have to pay are calculated based on the population of the country. The bigger the population the higher the contribution.

/edit: out of curiosity I looked it up and it seems that other factors play a role too. So every country is apparently part of a system where points are assigned to every country, based on how much they use the offered footage of Eurovision. This influences the contribution. Countries are not obliged to publish the fees they are paying. Many of them keep it a secret.

Spain (2015)356.000 Euro
Malta (2010)80.000 Euro

I don't believe that. Compare inhabitants f.i. Netherlands vs Romania.

This has more to do with the turnover of the TV stations.
I only know ORF: app. 1 billion Euro.

Last edited:

Jonkonfui

Spain (2015)356.000 Euro
Malta (2010)80.000 Euro

Look at this people... We Spaniards and Germans spend a lot of money on you, guys/gals... You should start showing some gratitude. Thanks.

popavapeur

I don't quite remember when or where so I don't have sources but it was something like The Netherlands/Belgium. Basically a west country with a big population but it was far less than the big 5, they literally are carrying the contest no joke.

Lindon

I don't quite remember when or where so I don't have sources but it was something like The Netherlands/Belgium. Basically a west country with a big population but it was far less than the big 5, they literally are carrying the contest no joke.
Measured by the amount of the participation fees, the Big Five countries are the largest donors, but they are not automatically the main financiers of the competition. With total costs for the ESC in Vienna, for example, of around 15 million euros, the Spanish share was just 2.4 percent, because the countries only contribute to the total costs through their fee allocation. Being a purser is somehow different. The balance for the rest of the Big Five countries is similar, but voices deploring the waste of fees tend to be heard in countries that are performing poorly.

Source Eurovision.de

Big 5 show me the money!

Last edited:

MartinF

Hey gang! Hope you don't mind me posting this in here (and obviously please do delete it if it's too close to spam for your liking), but over at escgo! we're doing our usual search to find the most brutally robbed national final song of the season. We've whittled it down to 15 songs in our grand final, and I'm trying to make sure we get as wide a range of fan opinions as possible in our public poll, hence I'm posting the link on a forum or two.

So if you're not all voted out, do check out our list & give us your votes - they would be very welcome in helping us to find that one song that really should have been in Turin. Thanks in advance!

Jonkonfui

Hey gang! Hope you don't mind me posting this in here (and obviously please do delete it if it's too close to spam for your liking), but over at escgo! we're doing our usual search to find the most brutally robbed national final song of the season. We've whittled it down to 15 songs in our grand final, and I'm trying to make sure we get as wide a range of fan opinions as possible in our public poll, hence I'm posting the link on a forum or two.

So if you're not all voted out, do check out our list & give us your votes - they would be very welcome in helping us to find that one song that really should have been in Turin. Thanks in advance!

Man i am here... Spam is allowed

ChiversLookDivine

Here's how I voted:

Cyan Kicks - Hurricane (Finland). I actually wanted to vote for Bess - Ram Pam Pam, but honestly both of these were robbed. The Rasmus have casual appeal but Jezebel is a hot mess.

Medina - In i dimman (Sweden). By no means do I think this song was robbed by Cornelia, but this song was great. I'd have also voted for Cazzi Opeia but it wasn't an option. Cornelia is a potential jury winner, but Medina were a potential televote winner.

Rigoberta Bandini - Ay Mama (Spain). Again, I don't think this was truly robbed as Chanel was the best choice, but it's hard not to like this song.

I was surprised there weren't any Sanremo or other NF's included - I might have been persuaded to vote for Turn This Around (Iceland), Ciao Ciao (Italy) or maybe even I'm Letting You Go/Rich Itch (Latvia) as a left-field pick.

Lindon

Austria's official video has 1.6 million views, effortlessly overtaking UK.

midnightsun

Veteran
I don't believe that. Compare inhabitants f.i. Netherlands vs Romania.

This has more to do with the turnover of the TV stations.
I only know ORF: app. 1 billion Euro.

Maybe I misunderstood but that wasn’t the question?
I thought MopMan was asking which country (big 5 not included) spend the most, of course after the host country (their fee is split, by the way, in the contributions of the TV host/broadcaster AND the host city).

As you can read in the article I linked (it’s even in German) the system which country has to pay which amount is different:

Dass die Teilnahmegebühren so unterschiedlich hoch sind, hat etwas mit dem Umlagesystem der EBU zu tun: Jedes Vollmitglied der Rundfunkunion erhält aufgrund seiner Reichweite und dem Nutzungsgrad von Eurovisionsangeboten (also auch von Nachrichtenbildern und Sportübertragungen) einen Punktewert zugeordnet. Auf der Basis dieser Punktewerte werden die Gesamtkosten für Gemeinschaftsproduktionen auf die einzelnen Teilnehmerstaaten umgelegt. Bei der Finanzierung des ESC stellt die EBU dem austragenden Land einen Sockelbetrag von rund fünf Millionen Euro. Diese Summe finanzieren die den ESC übertragenden Länder dann als Teilnahmegebühr anteilig per Umlage.

Lindon

Maybe I misunderstood but that wasn’t the question?
I thought MopMan was asking which country (big 5 not included) spend the most, of course after the host country (their fee is split, by the way, in the contributions of the TV host/broadcaster AND the host city).

As you can read in the article I linked (it’s even in German) the system which country has to pay which amount is different:
Sorry, I misunderstood your post when I answered. I quoted the same article as you did.

Last edited:

Lindon

Austria effortlessly rose up to 23rd in the odds today too, it's going well.
And the full promotion hasn't even started yet. On April 14th, LUM!X will be featured on a music show on Italian TV and a day later, Italian radio will add Halo to its playlist..

Last edited:

Chiarina

I remember reading (but I don't where) that if all broadcasters paid the same it is estimated that the participation fees for the smallest country would at least double

Bobjan FR

I made this this afternoon. Maybe it has been already done before .... ? This is a graph showing the percentage of points get from Public and from juries to the songs, according to their ranking. It's only on the last 5 editions of the ESC.
I was just curious...

vpo1.png

crashworld

Veteran
Top Bottom