Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

goncalovieira

Yes, probably we are coming after Moldova because our staging will be just six chairs and good lighthing.

hpp0

Honestly I thought they did a very good job with the running order, especially in the first semi. When I watched the videos it just made sense to me and I think that when we see the performances some choices that might not make sense now, will be better understood then. Remember the second half of the second semi last year, which on paper made zero sense but when you watched it, it was actually enjoyable and the transitions made sense?

However I've got to say that I still would rather see a shitty running order, that randomly done and is fairer for all competitors rather than seeing acts with less fans being dead on the arrival and the fan/betting odds favourites getting all the good spots. The results are just more exciting that way and you give a chance to all songs to prove themselves.

I don't think I can made many predictions yet, but there are some comments I have:

Semi Final 1

- Albania is an excellent opener for S1, I'm very happy that they got that place, it is very hard to imagine them NQing when the song stands out that much.

- When I saw Albania as an opener I expected Latvia to follow tbh. Both are uptempto but Latvia isn't so bombastic and doesn't have the ethnic flavour of Albania. Also 2nd in the semi isn't immediate death if you are good enough.

- Though far from my favourite, I'm glad Bulgaria wasn't murdered just because the fans don't like it.

- Moldova is getting top 15 in the final, that place is just sweet.

- When it got to the second half, I just felt it that Austria would be 13th. I don't have a good feeling for this tbh. It is after Denmark which will most likely keep the DMGP performance and it is a pretty energetic performance. It feels a bit like Romania last year who, if I'm not wrong, also performed 13th in S1.

- Armenia closing means that the probably have a fun performance. It is a bit like Denmark last year closing S2. It might not seem like a good idea now but I think it will make sense during the show.

For now, only based on the studio versions and fans preferences, I see either Greece or Ukraine winning S1. Norway got a very good RO, so I can see them second in televoting behind Ukraine. Portugal should do well with the juries but I fear that televoting won't help a lot. Should be enough to let the Q tho.

Semi Final 2

- Again great and a bit predictable choice for opener. They opened the show at UMK too, so they shouldn't have a problem.

- I know that #3 might be not ideal for Serbia but Russia performed at #4 last year and didn't hurt them. Serbia is very strong in televoting so I don't think it will affect it too much.

- 7/8 transition was one of my favourites for some reason, the difference between them w=in the video was huge and imo it helps both songs.

- Cyprus has probably a good staging, I just hope it isn't the usual staging they have since 2018, cause I really like the song. It is most likely easily qualifying.

- Ireland was kinda murdered? I don't know that's how I felt when I saw the video, that it doesn't stand a chance.

- 14/15 was a bit strange to me. I know that they aren't very similar but they are both from the more dynamic, closer to mid tempo, ballads and I thought that putting them next to each other was weird. Poland will probably benefit the most from this.

- Czechia closing reminds me of Latvia 2017 closing. Their live wasn't exactly good so I'm a bit afraid about this one's fate.

Right now, it is almost impossible for me to imagine someone else winning this semi other than Sweden. They were done a huge (unexpected if you ask me) favour and they are one of the few real fan favourites imo. The others need to pull something extraordinarily good to beat them and yet even if Sweden doesn't win televoting and/or jury voting I still see it winning the semi, the position is just that good for a song like this.

goncalovieira

Amanda's song is great and part of my top 10, but I am really fearing the worst. Especially in the final. It is a feeling.

crashworld

Veteran
First 9 of the 20 plus artists confirmed for Israel Calling have been announced:
  • Albania – Ronela Hajaiti – Sekret
  • Austria – LUM!X feat. Pia Maria
  • Estonia – Stefan – Hope
  • Germany – Malik Harris – Rockstars
  • Israel – Michael Ben David
  • Montenegro – Vladana – Breathe
  • Malta – Emma Muscat – I Am What I Am
  • Poland – Ochman – River
  • Romania – WRS – Llamame
Source:

Croatia's The Adriatic Pre-Party will remains as a virtual show this year. 15 artists of class 2022 are set to appear in the show.

Source:

FilipFromSweden

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Nobody watching or voting in a semi actually cares about running order. People here really acting like any of it has significance regarding winning the final. Also mostly ESC fans vote in the semis anyways lol

SarahM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Nobody watching or voting in a semi actually cares about running order. People here really acting like any of it has significance regarding winning the final. Also mostly ESC fans vote in the semis anyways lol
It's not that many viewers would care about it, it's that the running order can highlight stronger songs if they get a favourable position. For example, if a song was placed after a commercial break a viewer at home may miss that performance if they went to get snacks or something. I have plenty of friends who vote and they only tune into the final, they don't listen to the songs prior to the competition.
That being said, very strong entries should qualify regardless of the running order, but I think it makes a difference to the more middle of the road acts.

FilipFromSweden

harey

Why does anyone on this forum pretend that they're not going to watch it live, we are all eurovision obsessed hence why we are here no chance we dont watch it live despite how awful the running order is
Sorry but I have to wake up at 5.30 in the morning so for me the semis are "trying to stay awake" because it starts at the time I usually go to bed. Am I still allowed to be a fan? 😭

burrito

Nobody watching or voting in a semi actually cares about running order

and we as esc fans wouldn't probably care either, but it's all down to subconcious perception of the songs - a third ballad in the row for the first-time listener might come off as more boring no matter how good it is, simply because that would be an overload, but any higher tempo song coming right after will benefit from the order, because it will be a "finally something else" moment

I bims

Veteran
Sorry but I have to wake up at 5.30 in the morning so for me the semis are "trying to stay awake" because it starts at the time I usually go to bed. Am I still allowed to be a fan? 😭
BARELY
3tdr5mnaxgc21.jpg

midnightsun

Veteran
I think I‘m repeating myself but it doesn’t matter at what spot the songs have to perform, what matters is which songs come before and after. But, I haven’t checked the running order yet, will do soon.

hungo

I think I‘m repeating myself but it doesn’t matter at what spot the songs have to perform, what matters is which songs come before and after. But, I haven’t checked the running order yet, will do soon.
ok we will wait until you checked everything

midnightsun

Veteran
I have checked the running order now and yes, it’s a bit strange. Not so much where they‘ve positioned the favourites (a good song wins from any position!) but rather the mix of music genres. I know it’s not easy in a year with so many slow songs but it leaves room for improvement. But other than that I don’t see many surprises. The favourites are placed in the allegedly favourable spots so everything's as always.

midnightsun

Veteran
So I‘ve watched the official recap of the semis. I have only once checked the running order briefly before and didn’t have in mind anymore which country was in which Semi. After the recaps I tried to remember which countries I've had listened to. Surprisingly not a lot of them lingered in my memory, which isn’t a good sign.

In Semi 1 the only ones I could say for sure were in: :al: :ch: :md: and the last three: :gr: :no: :am:.
Faster songs are definitely more remarkable.
Surprisingly Switzerland makes an impression at their spot and as I already assumed days ago this could be a possible surprise qualifier.
I noticed that unfortunately Latvia and Slovenia that soon after each other cancel themselves out.
My biggest fear are the Netherlands. They are my #3 right now and I love the song so much yet I couldn’t remember after the recap they were in this Semi!
Even now while I‘m writing this I can’t remember the other songs of Semi 1.

Semi 2 was even worse. The only ones I remembered were :az:, :pl: and :se:. The latter only because I read a discussion about their starting position before not because it’s especially memorable. Some moments later it struck me that also :fi::au: and :ee: are in. I was thinking 'Where the heck have they left Portugal' when I realized they are in Semi 1. (That says it all.)

Aze, Pol & Aus I remembered because of their voices, Finland because it’s rock and Estonia because we didn’t have that kind of song before. Just like in Semi 1, while writing this text, I have already forgotten what other countries are in Semi 2. Just this second I remember :be: too being in Semi 2.

Last edited:

Hook2Hook

I expect :pl: and :se: both running at 12~18, so I'm pretty satisfied with this...
Anywho (unless the big favorite) right behind :rs: kinda like the kiss of death, some first time viewers may curious about Serbia's song and try to research for it immediately and lose focus on the next one, Azerbaijan a slow burn song lacking chorus and took longgggg build up for final 30 secs sparkle.....xthink
I used to think :au: and :az: might likely splitting votes, for now I think Australia is definitely safer.

midnightsun

Veteran
I agree that placing AZE between two very 'strange' songs could potentially be not of advantage for them. But it could as well turn out to be the opposite. I thought Serbia would definitely stand out while in reality the only song of the Serbia - Azerbaijan - Georgia combo I remembered was in fact Fade to black. Of course I like the song but I do like Serbia and Georgia a lot too; I‘m a big fan of both yet they didn’t leave the impression I hoped for. Serbia loses its momentum in this running order, it would have been better to end the semi with them, now they and Georgia will only be remembered as "the weird ones at the beginning of the Semi".

Lindon

Most-streamed Eurovision 2022 songs on Spotify yesterday (Mar 29):
1. Brividi (413,028 streams) 🇮🇹
2. Hold Me Closer (245,156) 🇸🇪
3. De diepte (212,014) 🇳🇱
4. Halo (90,340) 🇦🇹
5. SloMo (79,513) 🇪🇸
6. Give That Wolf a Banana (77,295) 🇳🇴
7. Stefania (76,724) 🇺🇦

Last edited:
Top Bottom