Contact us

American Song Contest

AlekS

Veteran
Wait a sec, are New York & Virginia lip-syncing? :unsure:

Kentucky and Oregon (still a lil' bit weird for me seeing more than 6 people on stage) are my faves. Not amazed by the overall level, but I can forgive a lot, cuz it's just the pilot 1st edition.

midnightsun

Veteran
Excited for this week‘s show. The overall quality of the songs is better this week but unfortunately there is no outstanding performance like last week‘s Oklahoma, Iowa or the new boot goofin' guys.
My favourites right now are Sam Ryder lookalike from Maine and Kentucky, I do enjoy this type of ballad.

Romeo

What time does this start uk time? I woke up at 2:30am (coincidentally) thought it would have just started but they’ve just sai it’s the last song.

Also… MESC has fewer adverts than this!

midnightsun

Veteran
In Germany it started at 2 a.m. so in the UK it would have been 1 a.m.
The show lasts two hours so it was finished around 3 a.m. your time.

midnightsun

Veteran

Thank you so much! I wanted to watch the first songs but since we had daylight savings the past weekend it started an hour later than last week so it was too late for me. I did wake up though around the second song (the guy with the denim shirt and the cowboy hat) and the link worked. Thanks again so much! I watched the song and went to sleep again. Will go now and try to figure out if I can watch the performances online now.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
I’ve just read who the qualifier from last week (heat 1) are.

The three who were chosen by the public are

Really?!?! :oops:

hawadharma

I thought ASC would be superficial, but I really love the concept.
It is heartwarming how each performing artiste explains their state, and reveal a bit of their personal life.

I hope ASC will continue ahead in many years to come.

midnightsun

Veteran
Heat 2 roundup (personal opinion)

The overall quality of this heat was slightly better than last week but didn’t have as many outstanding songs or bangers.

This time you‘d hear many artists singing live indeed which didn’t do them a favour since some sounded… weak and off. Nonetheless I enjoyed some of these more than those sterile lipsynchs.

The song of the evening was definitely Kentucky. I love everything about it and obviously it wasn’t only me…

New York would have done well at Eurovision and I see why. It’s also my #3.

In ASC the performances play an even more major role and it’s definitely for the better. With more than 6 people on stage allowed the performances are high standard and more professional than at Eurovision. For the sake of it the overall quality of the songs is still weaker than in Eurovision.

Maine is some raw country "rock" and I liked it. My #2 of the show but I don’t think this Sam Ryder lookalike will make it.

Nebraska‘s Jocelyn definitely had to fight voice problems, she was off most of the time and she seemed nervous. Despite the problems her songs was definitely one of the better songs but doesn’t stand a chance I guess.

Montana got me with a simple Thomas Rhett-ish pop song, probably not going anywhere, but I do like it. (Guilty pleasure)

I don’t like any of the other song much but the biggest disappointment of the evening and by far the worst song was imo Ohio with Macy Gray. Like Bolton and other former popular ESC celebs (Humperdinck, B. Taylor…) they are performing lukewarm "comeback“ songs, uninspired middle of the road pop songs (at least I liked Bonnie Tyler and Engelbert) with no harm and no excitement. Given the excitement about Bolton there’s a chance Gray will make it to the final. Opposed to ESC the target audience of the ASC are older people, obviously, who probably vote for what they recognize.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
American Lip Sync Contest. Half the artists may as well have their microphones just turned off as the deafeningly loud studio recorded backing tracks are doing all the work. AleXa certainly had some rivals on week 2.

This heat wasn't great. King Kyote was the only one I cared for. Perhaps not the best piece of Americana I've ever heard but it was serviceable and authentic. I liked it and I certainly wouldn't turn it off. Almira Zaky was probably my runner up but I didn't find her song to be anything special despite me being into the genre.

I found the jury winner unbearable. Like that was bottom 3 on one of my Eurovision rankings levels of bad. Of course he's a The Voice winner. Cursed show. Also, Macy Gray was a hot mess and big letdown (song was cute though, perhaps even my 2nd fave). She also confused the hell outta me as at one point there were two Macy Grays singing... but no.. surely she wasn't lip syncing to backing vocals that off? Don't mess with my head like that. Dancing smoothies were also of note. The song they're attached to though isn't.

And justice for New Boot Goofin'. Outrageous robbery. I think my interest in the show is sadly starting to wane already. I feel like the contest is not going to last long. All I'm getting at the moment is shoestring Melo without the incredible pacing or excitement of having the results on the same night.

I bims

Veteran
I'm sorry but Heat 2 was just the nail in the coffin. Are there any interesting songs in this whole contest? This is weaker than our german selection this year.

Was the lip-sync assassin AleXa the best act we gonna get? That would be really really sad. I hope her backing track fucks up in the GF and her delusional stans see that she's just another Milli Vanilli.

Last edited:

yulara

What I think of American Song Contest:

I like the diversity in song styles.
I don't like the back-track and lip-sync, it's not fair and I don't want to see a video clip but a live show.
It's well produced (most of the time) but I don't like when there is too many people on stage. And by the way who decides the staging ? Do they have the same budget and rehearsal time ?
I like the postcards.
I like the hosts.
I don't like to not have a recap before the jury's choice announcement. During a recap, this is where I can identify a wining song, so I definitely miss it.
I don't like to know only the jury's choice at the end of the event, and I don't like that Jurys have the first choice. I expect from a jury of that kind to save a song not selected by televote and choose the best voice/fav.
I don't understand why there is a green room, we barely see it during the show and the announce of jury's result is so fast.
I don't like to have to wait a whole week to have the televote result. Give me back the endless points ceremony, Give me more suspens! I want to be stressed !!! xangry
I don't want to wait 8 weeks to know the winner IOTAP
I want the winner to be qualified for ESC final xpray

and most important thing: I don't like to have to change my April planning for next year, I will need to start to listen to ESC songs before April to have time to follow ASC, and I don't like it, when will I have time to listen to JAJA DING DONG during this period xangry

note: as you may have noticed, most of these points where about disliking, well, all I can say is that I'm french so by definition I'm never happy xcrazy

A-lister

Veteran
I want the winner to be qualified for ESC final xpray

Blasphemy, I just can't at Eurovision fans even suggesting this... like do we want Eurovision to be over as a concept? USA already dominating the whole market isn't enough? Can't we at least have one format to give some space and opportunity to local European acts who normally have no chance to compete against US big label $$$ corpo business?

Anyways, it's looking as if this will be a flop format..

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
2"The Live Qualifiers Part 2"March 28, 20221021.88[55]0.3[55]

WHAT FLOP american song contest lost viewers.

Yeah, down with more than 1mln viewers from an already weak start... if this continues, I guess chances for a second season are slim at best.

shameless

Blasphemy, I just can't at Eurovision fans even suggesting this... like do we want Eurovision to be over as a concept? USA already dominating the whole market isn't enough? Can't we at least have one format to give some space and opportunity to local European acts who normally have no chance to compete against US big label $$$ corpo business?

Anyways, it's looking as if this will be a flop format..
I think your fear isn't really justified. If this will ever take over ESC in relevancy, I don't how old we will all be - maybe earth will have melted by that time.
This looks more likely to be axed soon that becoming a relevant cultural event in the US which in general seems to be difficult these days. All the awards shows (Oscars, Grammys etc.) are on all-time rating lows and basically just will never be axed because of their legacy and relevance.

I think the major problem here is that indeed it feels more like a Melodifestivalen selection. I don't see as much diversity as many of you do (throwing a few country songs in doesn't count as that).
it could be different if every state indeed could organise the NF on themselves and local stations would be somehow involved but I understand that this is nearly impossible on the US market to do (at least the radio stations could have a play in it?). It would help local patriots to get invested into actually doing well? but for that it needs a bit of a different concept and some team that is actually able to try out things on a longer scale and not being forced to succeed asap as it is in capitalism these days.

Not a Robot

It is very underwhelming and borderline amateur so far. Snoop and Kelly are thankfully very charismatic, but seem like they barely understand whats going on themselves sometimes... o_O

I'll keep watching out of patriotism I guess... But serious improvements are needed across the board. Songwriting, production, communicating the format to the audience... It all needs work.

Top Bottom