Contact us

EUROVISION 2022 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

harey

You considered only a part of my message.
I listed some objective facts and amongst them also the fact that Brividi is a hit.
Until now it has more streamings, this is objective ( with all the variables you mentioned). It has been trending in more countries than any other song, this is objective. It ranked top ten in some countries more than any actual songs, this is objective.
All these facts are objective, based on numbers not on tastes.
Just to precise. Benidorm has been a huge success this year and with all the drama happened the echo has been enormous. Chanel has got a lot of visibility. Plus Spanish is spoken widely and has a bigger potential market than Italian. So these variables are valid also for SloMo which has more streamings after Brividi.
I never thought or said that Brividi wasn't a success. 🤓 I was just pointing out that comparing streaming numbers doesn't make sense to me because of all these various factors. 😁

My thought is: if someone huge with a big music label get 1 billion streams, it is just a normal thing. If I record a song out of nowhere and get 1 billion streams, it would be a huge success. Because we are not on the same level even if we get the same streams numbers.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
1. Spain
2. Netherlands
3. Greece
4. Italy
5. Austria
6. Albania
7. Poland
8. France
9. Cyprus
10. Ukraine

Trying to predict the actual results (top 10 only).

1. :es: Due to the lack of other bangers: top 10 for sure (#1 is a bit too high and include the usual Spanish fans)

2. :nl: Dark Horse. Top 5 realistic. (My guess is #2 or 3).

3. :gr: Top 10 probably but rather lower top 10. Greece fans are almost like Spain fans, voting like crazy for them even if they can’t vote for their own country in the final.

4. :it: Definitely. Maybe even higher.

5. :at: Doubtful but around 8-10 posdible

6. :al: lol, the usual hype, it’s not even a sure qualifier

7. :pl: accurate, probably even higher (I‘d say #3-5)

8. :fr: Could be fan flop of the year, same fate like Mercy. Yes, I love it too but the staging is VERY messy and since we had a similar entry with Ukraine last year I‘m not sure if people vote again for folktronic, especially since it's a Western country. I‘d say France could be happy if they manage a top 10 result.

9. :cy:. Could be. I personally expect a similar result like El Diablo.

10. :ua: Probably higher. Not only pity votes but this kind is usually well received in Eastern countries anyway. I‘d say from #1-5 everything is possible.

Zeus

I love Poland and Switzerland so much this year, but I fear they get lost in the ballad-heavy mould. Same as last year with all the female fuego bops, there of which we have none this year.
Nah, Poland will still qualify, only need a upgrade in staging and performance to also become top 10.

Switzerland can only be saved with the juries or with the best staging from the entire contest I feel. I think they will stay in the semis.

Ezio

Veteran
Of course they will qualify but probably not win in the end

Ezio

Veteran
Ratings from eurovisionworld

:nl: 4.6
:gr: 4.5
:cy: 4.5
:at: 4.5
:se: 4.4
:pl: 4.4
:fr: 4.3
:rs: 4.3
:ua: 4.1
:es: 4.1
:be: 4.1
:uk: 4.0
:it: 3.9
:no: 3.9
:au: 3.9
:ee: 3.9
:ro: 3.9
:cz: 3.8
:me: 3.8
:al: 3.7
:lt: 3.7
:fi: 3.5
:de: 3.4
:hr: 3.3
:sm: 3.1
:bg: 3.1
:mt: 3.0
:il: 2.9
:mk: 2.9
:sl: 2.9
:ch: 2.8

tie break according to odds ranking
:dk: 2.8
:ge: 2.7
:lv: 2.6
:ie: 2.6
:md: 2.2

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
I can officially declare that I am very far removed from the ESC community once again. All the hyped up entries for the year (ie. Italy, Sweden, UK, France, Greece, Serbia), none of them is in my top 10 (with the exception of Poland, which is my no. 1 and the Netherlands, which is my no. 2). I am really starting to doubt myself if I even belong to the ESC community. Or maybe deep down I am an anti-ESC avid follower.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
I can officially declare that I am very far removed from the ESC community once again. All the hyped up entries for the year (ie. Italy, Sweden, UK, France, Greece, Serbia), none of them is in my top 10 (with the exception of Poland, which is my no. 1). I am really starting to doubt myself if I even belong to the ESC community. Or maybe deep down I am an anti-ESC avid follower.
Don‘t worry! Most of the times my taste in Eurovision is exactly the opposite of the common taste. But that‘s why I love Eurovision. The variety of music genres and songs, something for everybody. Only one song can win so the victory isn’t important after all. The one thing that matters is that YOU are happy with your choice and enjoy your favourite songs.

Greetings from someone who loves :hr: :mk: :ge: :lv: :bg: and :sl: this year

hijirio

Veteran
Basically the most difficult job in the world right now is to make a draw in this year’s ESC. Basically 30 songs sound the same 🤣🤣 It will be like 3 ballads 1 bop and 3 ballads again

popavapeur

Did we have in the past a year with a LOT of uptempo or ballads/slow stuff ? I'm not a ballad cutie but i'm living for it, it's like funny at this point. Hope Armenia and Azerbaijan delivers a ballad at this point too.

crashworld

Veteran
Did we have in the past a year with a LOT of uptempo or ballads/slow stuff ? I'm not a ballad cutie but i'm living for it, it's like funny at this point. Hope Armenia and Azerbaijan delivers a ballad at this point too.

Armenia isn't. It's American mid-tempo pop.
Azerbaijan is based on description.

Jonkonfui

It is the first time I read something making sense from you. 🤓

To me streams are not an "objective fact": there are so many factors (for example we know that San Remo songs easily get a lot of streams because it is a huge event in Italy, but there are also things like: is the singer already known, the size of the country, if the song is more beloved by young or old people (because different group ages don't use the same platforms or on the same scale, if the country has any interest in esc, how much advertising it gets, etc.). So yes, we can say "song x is a streaming success" but we can't compare one song with another and say it is "objective fact", it is just an indicator among others.
I have read only your first quote and I like your style..

Ezio

Veteran
It seems female soloists this year ditched Eleni Foueira and found inspiration in Salvador Sobral.

Betwixt Tales

Is there a deadline for when the songs have to be presented? I'm just sitting over here, drumming my fingers for Azerbaijan and Armenia to get their act together and present their songs already. :rolleyes:

Mainshow

Veteran
Has anyone already come up with a list of entries ranked by their beats of minute?
I´ve read quite a few comments that this year is "crowded" with ballads and slow songs but honestly, I think it´s quite balanced.

I don´t even consider :se: "Hold Me Closer" to be a ballad since it got 97 beats per minute and that´s more than the average of a human heart (ballads are usually around 50 to 90 bpm).

I agree with the comment if "mid-tempo" songs are counted/perceived as "slow songs" but personally, I don´t classify them as such.

empo21

Veteran
Is there a deadline for when the songs have to be presented? I'm just sitting over here, drumming my fingers for Azerbaijan and Armenia to get their act together and present their songs already. :rolleyes:

Deadline for presentation - no. Only a submission deadline.

A country can reveal their entry whenever they want. If they don't at all, it will be officially released with the album in April.

Ps I'm sure :az: will drop their entry next week.

Mainshow

Veteran

No, such deadline doesn´t exist. The delegations are not even obliged to release their entries before the official release of the compilation - so technically, 22nd April is the "deadline" (or a week earlier if there´s a digital release of the compilation).

However, there´s a deadline when broadcasters have to submit their songs to the European Broadcasting Union:
Shortly after this date is the Eurovision Song Contest Heads of Delegation meeting in Turin – this is the deadline for broadcasters to submit their entries.
source: eurovision.tv

An official date for that meeting hasn´t been announced yet but it´s probably next week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom