Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

ESCConor

Not saying it is them, but these announcements tend to be pre-planned once all the legalities are out of the way. It's likely it's all done and dusted contractually way earlier. Practically, I would have thought they'd have announced signing to TaP and doing Eurovision as one comms package but it's possible I guess.

London Grammar do kick off a tour of Europe and Australia the week after Eurovision so what better way to do it than as winners of 2022 (I mean I'm 99.9% sure it's never going to happen but I'm going to dream for a short while!)

London Grammar's tour doesnt start until the 31st May, so its techincally possible.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
People on .net are saying BBC radio 1 and 2 played a 3 minute version of Spaceman by Sam Ryder earlier today.

theditz83

Veteran
People on .net are saying BBC radio 1 and 2 played a 3 minute version of Spaceman by Sam Ryder earlier today.
But why would they play the song before the big hullabaloo official announcement? Seems like an odd order to do things judging by the Beeb's previous form. Love that the hype machine is gathering speed again though! I reckon we're just a week away peeps.....

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
But why would they play the song before the big hullabaloo official announcement? Seems like an odd order to do things judging by the Beeb's previous form. Love that the hype machine is gathering speed again though! I reckon we're just a week away peeps.....

Yeah it doesn't seem very in tune with the BBC minds, especially picking an already released song so i'm inclined to think it's another. However, it's not the BBC doing all the work, it's Tap. So who knows. I just wish they'd hurry up and announce it. :lol:

theditz83

Veteran
Yeah it doesn't seem very in tune with the BBC minds, especially picking an already released song so i'm inclined to think it's another. However, it's not the BBC doing all the work, it's Tap. So who knows. I just wish they'd hurry up and announce it. :lol:
Yeah, they just love to sit on their pedastal at this time of the year, watching all the mental rumours get out of hand before getting to the stage where they're like "ummmm, we might have waited too long to announce this and it's probably an anti-climax but..... here's the entry! wooooooooooooo" :lol:

ChiversLookDivine

I listened to Space Man earlier on Spotify as a new release - apart from being too long I just can't see them releasing a song ahead of the announcement.

I still think Sam Ryder is who we're sending though, especially with a tour of Europe next month.

Mainshow

Veteran
To me, it wouldn´t be strange at all.
Poland did so in the past (picking a song which had already been released).

We only have 12 days left before that EBU meeting takes place - It´s strange that we will have heard all songs by the end of 2 weeks.... BBC could give us the artist at this point, at least.

MopManMoss

Veteran
To me, it wouldn´t be strange at all.
Poland did so in the past (picking a song which had already been released).

We only have 12 days left before that EBU meeting takes place - It´s strange that we will have heard all songs by the end of 2 weeks.... BBC could give us the artist at this point, at least.
Embers came out on the 11th of March

theditz83

Veteran
The way it was the Sara Cox show on Radio 2 that played the sub 3-minute edit of Space Man (and Sara Cox being one of the regular co-commentators on the Semi Final coverage for the BBC) - just the way she introduced it, it seemed kinda "nudge nudge, wink wink, if you know you know" kinda thing.... but maybe I'm getting all caught-up in the hype here haha.

But also, who has announced it as Radio 1 Song of the Week? Scott Mills - aka, the other Semi Final commentator for the BBC.... coincidences all over the joint!

The song is okay, and I strongly believe that Sam Ryder would sing the crap out of it at Eurovision, but I'm a little dubious that it's really something that would translate across Europe. It sounds very UK-centric to me...

ChiversLookDivine

Scott Mills is also over Eurovision and was part of TaP's selection process - and that Sam Ryder Instagram post about Tune of the Week specifically mentions Scott Mills and thanks him for reaching out... good catch.

Synergise

So, I've just listened to Space Man. It's alright, but I'm not a massive fan of this to be honest, at least for the contest. Unfortunately, I can also see this being the exact sort of thing they'd probably pick...

At least it seems like his live singing is pretty great, so I still wouldn't mind if it was him, just maybe not THIS song.

Mainshow

Veteran
UK keeps on rising in the odds. It´s currently #9 now - I know that British people seem to be the most interesting fans/people to bet on events like Eurovision but this is such a surprise.

Do they just bet on the UK based on the rumor that Sam Ryder´s song is the British entry? :D

Chrisiam

There is a handful of different acts rumoured to be doing it at the moment. If the UK is going up on the betting odds then it could be due to any number of people thinking they have insider info and are putting a bet on whilst the odds are still offering a decent enough payout in the vain hope the UK wins.

I'm still tempering my expectations for now. And I highly doubt that the act that is doing Eurovision's song is already out and I don't think the BBC would be hinting at anyone just yet. And as Chivers says, if it was Sam Ryder they'd save any 'Record of the Week' stuff till the week he is announced or shortly there after. Doing it now feels rather premature.

cripesdude

Interesting Sam Ryder rumour… but he’s Warner Music and not TAP?

Nicfedy

Spaceman would be a great choice. Unlikely to win but gives back some credibility. So fingers crossed.

ArmpitOfEurope

There is a handful of different acts rumoured to be doing it at the moment. If the UK is going up on the betting odds then it could be due to any number of people thinking they have insider info and are putting a bet on whilst the odds are still offering a decent enough payout in the vain hope the UK wins.

I'm still tempering my expectations for now. And I highly doubt that the act that is doing Eurovision's song is already out and I don't think the BBC would be hinting at anyone just yet. And as Chivers says, if it was Sam Ryder they'd save any 'Record of the Week' stuff till the week he is announced or shortly there after. Doing it now feels rather premature.

Buffles me that you expect from a team that wanted to dress James like this
c558c22a-470b-44a0-ac84-c6e0706a18f2.jpg

to have a well organised plan about the release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom