Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Loindici

Veteran
EBU WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR TO BAN RUSSIA ?

ARE YOU BLIND ?

I feel it looks simple on the surface but there might be other things that I feel they're currently thinking about:
  1. Russian diaspora votes -- The risk losing these a second time after 2017, I think it might be one of the biggest contributors to the voting pool.
  2. Would 'banning' participation of Russian channels be temporary or should the membership be revoked completely?
  3. Will suspending Russia from Eurovision cause Russia to withdraw and never return, just like how Turkey did it before?

revallsay

Honetly, if Russia is allowed to perform and Euroviosn takes place, the audience in the arena should turn around during Russia's performance.

Kaz

So just to be clear, as of today February 25:

Countries whose participants and/or broadcasters have officially called for Russia’s withdrawal:
:dk: :lv: :lt: :nl::no: :se: :ua:

Countries who intend to withdraw from other international competitions as a result of Russian participation:
:cz: :pl::es:

Last edited:

Sammy

Veteran
The hacker-collective „Anonymous“ has declared a cyber war on Russia and in Austria there are the first voices who want Russia to be excluded from the Council of Europe. (A membership of which is mandatory to be a member of the EBU…) If the EBU will not act, maybe this will force them to act according to their own rules…

jeriswani

I want Sweden to withdraw, and others to follow.

Sweden might be a small country, but in terms of viewership and contribution to Eurovision we are one of the major ones. We have more viewers than much bigger countries have.

I think if broadcasters threaten to simply boycott this then EBU might "get the memo".

I don’t mean to offend Sweden at all but the contest can very much survive without Sweden participating for years. When it comes to the big 5 if at least 2 of them speak it or will have much more of a bigger impact. This is no way attacking or belittling other countries it’s just the way the EBU is run. The problem is the big 5 most likely aren’t going to do anything. The EBU can survive is one goes out but if 2 or more and then also a few non big 5 counties there will literally be no contest.

GermanBango

I`m about to pee myself ... Both the corrupt FiS and UEFA had the guts to stand up to Putin but the EBU doesn`t ... Time to seriously doubt me being part of the Eurovision fandom for much longer.

Last edited:

I bims

Veteran
I don’t mean to offend Sweden at all but the contest can very much survive without Sweden participating for years. When it comes to the big 5 if at least 2 of them speak it or will have much more of a bigger impact. This is no way attacking or belittling other countries it’s just the way the EBU is run. The problem is the big 5 most likely aren’t going to do anything. The EBU can survive is one goes out but if 2 or more and then also a few non big 5 counties there will literally be no contest.
I'm causiously optimistic that the german broadcaster will say something. Keep in mind: Everything in germany is slow and inefficient. Such a statement will have to go through a lot of checks and authorizations before being published and actions being taken. And I think the EBU is quite similar, because there are so many member states and all that.

GermanBango

I'm causiously optimistic that the german broadcaster will say something. Keep in mind: Everything in germany is slow and inefficient. Such a statement will have to go through a lot of checks and authorizations before being published and actions being taken. And I think the EBU is quite similar, because there are so many member states and all that.
I texted the NDR Eurovision site on Insta as well. Let`s see if anything happens.

The hacker-collective „Anonymous“ has declared a cyber war on Russia and in Austria there are the first voices who want Russia to be excluded from the Council of Europe. (A membership of which is mandatory to be a member of the EBU…) If the EBU will not act, maybe this will force them to act according to their own rules…

Russia will not be excluded from CoE as that would mean that people like Navalny could not seek protection from the European Court of Human Rights. Instead, they would rather keep Russia so they can saction the state for gross violation of human rights in Ukraine and elsewhere.

jeriswani

Actually why hasn’t Rai spoke up about this. Why don’t they just threaten to not allow the Russian delegation into the country if they try to participate in Turin. Surely that would be the best option.

Femmina

So just to be clear, as of today February 25:

Countries whose participants and/or broadcasters have officially called for Russia’s withdrawal:
:dk: :lv: :lt: :nl::no: :se: :ua:

Countries who intend to withdraw from other international competitions as a result of Russian participation:
:cz: :pl::es:

You can add Finland here. In fact not just asking for Russia to withdraw, YLE said they said they will withdraw if Russia is participating.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Actually why hasn’t Rai spoke up about this. Why don’t they just threaten to not allow the Russian delegation into the country if they try to participate in Turin. Surely that would be the best option.
Because they cant undermine whatever the Italian governments foreign policy is and Mario Draghi really is hesitant to pull out the big guns on Russia because hes a technocrat with a background in economics

GermanBango

At this point I would be very very surprised if the EBU does not give in at some point. I mean, they are dense but not stupid enough to let a third of their participants withdraw. Russia ain`t that important to Eurovision.

Sammy

Veteran
Russia will not be excluded from CoE as that would mean that people like Navalny could not seek protection from the European Court of Human Rights. Instead, they would rather keep Russia so they can saction the state for gross violation of human rights in Ukraine and elsewhere.
As far as I know, there has only been one time a country was excluded (Greece during the military junta n the 70es)
I doubt the decision will be taken in respect to Navalny who is already de facto silenced. Atm the pressure on the CoE is not very strong yet, but an exclusion would definitely be a severe measure. Violation of human rights can be stated in other organisms as well and as Putin obviously doesn‘t care about it, that is not an argument of keeping them in.

Franzilein

There definitely will be a response of the EBU. There are already too many broadcasters threatening to withdraw.

Ajeje Brazorf

Because they can't, that's why. Only EBU decides who is allowed to compete. Threatens wouldn't do anything. It's EBU that should take a decision by any means, not RAI. And RAI and EBU are in contact everyday, so making it public won't change anything, 'til a decision is taken. In my opinion Russia should not participate. If Russia participates and others withdrew, who'll lose something are Italy and the EBU, certainly not Russia: imagine preparing a contest for 41 countries and then half of them didn't join.

Last edited:

Sammy

Veteran
EBU has to understand, that allowing Russia to the stage is a political statement in itself to the same extent as banning them. In the present situation there is no „non-political“ choice or standpoint. The only choice you have is the one of the side you want to take.

Top Bottom