Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

hijirio

Veteran
EBU will take action only if fans and the public opinion take a strong stand against Russia. Even with the Belarusian case, they were very reluctant in the beginning, then they took action only because of our reaction. That's why, we should be very determined.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
EBU will take action only if fans and the public opinion take a strong stand against Russia. Even with the Belarusian case, they were very reluctant in the beginning, then they took action only because of our reaction. That's why, we should be very determined.

It shouldn't even require that sort of blacklash and outcty for it to happen, it's crazy. They should just do it lmao. If Russia is there in may the atmosphere when they appear on screen is going to be horrendous. They will have to 2015 the audience.

GermanBango

That`s why I started the damn petition that still hasn`t even gotten 100 signatures yet.

hijirio

Veteran
Also I would like to say to all Russian fans on board, I know it might feel terrible seeing your country's name associated with banning, hate, aggression and war. Please remember that we have nothing against Russian people who are against war, and the dignified talented Russian artists who deserve to be recognized on Europe's biggest music event.

Sometimes our words might seem like demonizing Russia altogether while glorifying Ukraine to the skies, but this is only a shout out to ban the Russian state's propagandist broadcaster from ESC. I have a heavy heart wishing a country to withdraw from ESC, it's always 'the more the merrier' and all of us would like to have 43 competing countries in May. But this is an exceptional case and :ru: has to go. Sorry....

A-lister

Veteran
Also I would like to say to all Russian fans on board, I know it might feel terrible seeing your country's name associated with banning, hate, aggression and war. Please remember that we have nothing against Russian people who are against war, and the dignified talented Russian artists who deserve to be recognized on Europe's biggest music event.

Sometimes our words might seem like demonizing Russia altogether while glorifying Ukraine to the skies, but this is only a shout out to ban the Russian state's propagandist broadcaster from ESC. I have a heavy heart wishing a country to withdraw from ESC, it's always 'the more the merrier' and all of us would like to have 43 competing countries in May. But this is an exceptional case and :ru: has to go. Sorry....

xclap

Well said, and I can only concur.

The ask for a ban is for the Russian broadcaster and "official" Russia, of course there are many Russians who are completely innocent and not supporting of this, so it is important to understand the difference between people and state.

With said, many Russians also support Putin, but I assume most of these aren't Eurovision fans anyways.

jatojo

Does Putin and his regime even care whether they perform in Eurovision or not though?…

No, but it inevitably raises the question inside Russia why there is no Eurovision this year. And if many such questions are raised - about many events -, the public opinion will be influenced, in a way it will not be by the state-controlled media.

Last edited:

WhoKnows

Sergey's statement, bless his soul:
274583501_1656827041319055_2343678070652488472_n.jpg
I appreciate the sentiment and any support is good support. But really, Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, occupied its territories, and has been killing Ukrainians for the last 8 years. Lazarev represented Russia at ESC twice during that time, opting to ignore the war and the devastation his country was causing Ukraine. Maybe some of this could have been avoided if Russians expressed disapproval for Putin's actions from the get go. Instead, they played this nonsense games - denying involvement, justifying action, shifting blame, etc.

GermanBango

You think people scared of WWIII will pay attention to some random event scheduled for May?
Dude, I obviously know that there are more important things than Eurovision atm. Just trying to send a signal to the damn EBU to show them that we don`t want to give the Russian thug government a platform.

ArmpitOfEurope

I appreciate the sentiment and any support is good support. But really, Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, occupied its territories, and has been killing Ukrainians for the last 8 years. Lazarev represented Russia at ESC twice during that time, opting to ignore the war and the devastation his country was causing Ukraine. Maybe some of this could have been avoided if Russians expressed disapproval for Putin's actions from the get go. Instead, they played this nonsense games - denying involvement, justifying action, shifting blame, etc.

He could easily face imprisoment. Making statements like this is already brave enough for a russian artist with a big following.
But kinda agree, if for example he's the russian represantative this year, it will be hypocritical.

EscGeek

Veteran
After today's events i'm not as willing to defend Russia as much as i defended Belarus last year tbh...:(

But lots of things can change in the coming days and weeks. I still have hope that things will settle down soon. I'm not a fan of doing anything drastic. Basically what i mean is that russian withdrawal should be the last resort and not the first thing on the menu.

I hope Ukraine takes part as well.

Next russian representative (regardless if it's this year or next year) doesn't deseve to booed.!!! They are as innocent in this shit as much as you and me.

Basketball club Barcelona refused to travel to St. Petersburg for an upcoming match with Zenit. As a result, all matches with Russian clubs have been canceled as other clubs gave support to Barcelona team.

Ksander_ZP

I wonder what will Russian representative sing about. Love? Peace?
They will have to try really hard to present their lyrics as not some kind of satire or evil joke.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Just wanted to post something real quick.

We all agree that this situation is upsetting, scary and words can't even describe what our Ukrainian friends are going through. But it's also upsetting to the rest of us and I understand putting a "OMG, no politics in here please" is a bit silly knowing how intertwined this thing has become. It's no like we're running a forum to discuss cooking shows and recipes.

You are allowed to be angry, heck it's basically what I would expect you to be. You have every right to feel whatever it is you are feeling right now. Just when you post stuff, please be mindful that there are real people behind these usernames so hurling insults will get us nowhere.

It is okay to discuss the situation that is unfolding in front of us but keep it please related to the contest and how it could affect Eurovision, participating countries, fans, press etc. Once you go into the weeds, you want to take that to the political forum.

So we will monitor everything of course and rely on you to report posts that you deem inappropriate. Contact me via IM if you need to talk. Of course I am moving this weekend to my new home but I'll try to make time.

GermanBango

Ridiculous, transliteration: they will wait for a member of press to get killed so they can cancel their participation by invoking "media freedom". As if media freedom exists in Russia. 🤣 How many pittyful a***s there are in EBU.
Translation: It`s ok as long as we get those sweet dollars.

Top Bottom