But everybody knows
Everybody knows
We’re born to the fight

Hey child
Why ya hiding from the light?​

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
I read these posts taking issue with the religious undertones in the song, but I really do not get it why you are upset about it. I mean, what is wrong with being religious???

And @EscGeek, you know I love you man, but why do you say it was cringeworthy her mentioning of Jesus Christ last year? Yes, gurl is religious, but I am not religious and I really did not bother with that. At the same time, please correct me, but if I am not mistaken, I think she had a very turbulent and unhappy youth and she found her "salvation" and way out of her troubles with the help of religion. I remember I saw her interview long time ago, where she was discussing her past problems. So, what's wrong with that? She publicly aknowledges what helped her to pull through during her dark days. I mean, good for her, right?
Yeah, but don't forget that like 50% of people here are gay. And Christianity is not exactly friendly to those people.

ESC94

Yeah, but don't forget that like 50% of people here are gay. And Christianity is not exactly friendly to those people.

Well, at least the Evangelical Lutheran Church here in :de: is quite gay friendly, in some of their regional churches ("Landeskirchen" as they´re called in German) you can even marry in a church.

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
Updated to :4:

While Ana is able to showcase her incredible vocals, I still feel like she is wasted on a song like this. I wouldn't be surprised if we later get leaked demos and this turns out to be a Malta reject or something.

The religious theme of the song I don't see as issue and personally am not bothered by it either.

The song is just not for me, which is a pity since I was a big Voda defender last year and I really wanted to root for Ana this time as well..

EscGeek

Veteran
I read these posts taking issue with the religious undertones in the song, but I really do not get it why you are upset about it. I mean, what is wrong with being religious???

And @EscGeek, you know I love you man, but why do you say it was cringeworthy her mentioning of Jesus Christ last year? Yes, gurl is religious, but I am not religious and I really did not bother with that. At the same time, please correct me, but if I am not mistaken, I think she had a very turbulent and unhappy youth and she found her "salvation" and way out of her troubles with the help of religion. I remember I saw her interview long time ago, where she was discussing her past problems. So, what's wrong with that? She publicly aknowledges what helped her to pull through during her dark days. I mean, good for her, right?

I don't know anything about her past struggles, but yes, good for her if she's doing okay now.

The whole concept of a winning speech is flawed because it's really hard to come up with something good to say on the spot, but if one must do it, i think it's best to just thank your voters and promise you'll do your best and not preach your opinions to the audience. If you stand out too much from the rest of the pack, you'll be forever be known as "that person with this and that winning speech".

rasmuslights

Veteran
In Serbian we colloquially call Slovenes 'Austrijski konjušari' (Austrian grooms/horsemen).

I don't like that term though and find it derogatory. It stems from (in my opinion) misconception that Slovenes always had 'westernmost' mentality, attitude and behaviour compared to other nations in ex-Yugoslavia or Balkan whatsoever, even claiming they are somewhat arrogant in that regard. I do know they have derogatory term for us also, I forgot it but I ask some fellow Slovenes here to remind of it haha.

I think it's not their fault they are more hard-working and less tempered than us. They have always been most developed and educated part of Yugoslavia.

EDIT: Oh right, it's 'čepurci'

it's also "Jugič" or "Čefur" and we also have derogatory expression for Albanians "Šiptarji" - which means just Albanians in Albanian but it's mostly used in non-friendly way. So we are not that innocent, it's true that some Albanians struggle to integrate in Slovenia and have even "ghettos", but a lot of them are also hard-working. Most people have a positive opinion about Yugoslavs tho and are quite nostalgic when thinking about the 80s hahah. Though most people even here in Slovenia would say that in many ways closer to Czech and Slovak people.

rasmuslights

Veteran
about Ana's religion. Slovenia though many people go to church for Christmas and Easter is quite atheist. So many people really judged her last year for it. I find no problem with it, though it's true that it's very rare in Slovenia to mention God and religion during an entertainment show.

Pål Nordahl

I've given this another chance after my initial reaction yesterday. I can't help but feel like I'm being preached to and I'm absolutely not here for it! Granted, I wasn't raised religiously and don't want anything to do with it, but these lyrics are particularly nauseating in my opinion;

Hey child
The fear will never go away
Might as well accept it now.

Learn to persevere.
Learn to count your blessings down
Greet the future with Amen

I'm interested to know how others are interpreting this but for me it screams "only Jesus can ease your everlasting suffering". Her own religious experiences are known, so this isn't surprising, and a lot of people won't mind it in the slightest. I'm not one of those people, however.

I really love her vocals!! Melodically, the song has some substance and will have an impact live, I'm sure. But don't preach to me, especially during Eurovision :1:

rasmuslights

Veteran
I'd also like to add that Ana is not homophobic despite her religion, she has stated in an interview that she sees every person as an individual and that someone's sexuality has no impact on her perceiving of a person:)

Yazy

Heard the song twice now. I honestly don´t know how to feel about this man. :(

It may grow on me, but I was hoping for something different.
I didn´t really want her to come back with an aggressive diva power ballad.

I was genuinely hoping that she would bring something inspirational but with more relaxed, positive, optimistic and carefree energy.

Something.............something like her song "Hello" that was published in 2013.

I discovered Ana through this song and I was really hoping that she would have this type of material at ESC.

rasmuslights

Veteran
also something juicy: Maja Keuc said during the show: "When watching my performance I get a feeling of nostalgia, and I say to myself hm.. maybe I should try again". So I'm sure we will get Maja in the couple of years xheart

tuorem

Because some people who feel uneasy with religion jump to conclusions. Having religious beliefs neither is a defect nor does it intrinsically mean being intolerant anyway. Ana has faith, good for her, I am not sure why she could not express it.

Narrow-mindedness takes many forms, there is no need to believe in something to display it.

"Voda" had such undertones already, so it's not like she made a u-turn in terms of lyrical content this time around. xshrug

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
also something juicy: Maja Keuc said during the show: "When watching my performance I get a feeling of nostalgia, and I say to myself hm.. maybe I should try again". So I'm sure we will get Maja in the couple of years xheart
WE DEMAND ugh

Sammy

Veteran
Well, at least the Evangelical Lutheran Church here in :de: is quite gay friendly, in some of their regional churches ("Landeskirchen" as they´re called in German) you can even mary in a church.
I have a little correction: what you mean is protestant-lutheranian. Evangelical is a branch of free churches with very conservative views. For the rest - I fully agree.

Carian

I am just over this attitude here that we should despise and hate everything and everyone who ever wronged gays. I am gay too, not religious, not supporting Vatican Church, but I still appreciate the good teachings of Jesus and the benefits of religion.

Gay community sounds to me lately more intolerant to others than they are right now towards us.

@tuorem - agree, but even if she had made a 180-degrees turn, so what? Religion in its essence is a powerful thing and it helps a lot of people in times of their need and distress. So, because someone subscribes to the Jesus' teachings, we must hate him, cuz Church manipulates these teachings to their advantage? And even not all Church people are bad.

@ESC94 - funny, where I live in Slovenia we have the biggest community of Lutheran Evangelical Church of Eastern Rite. 90% of members are left-leaning and usually vote progressively. I am not religious (as I said), but almost my whole backgroud is Protestant. I like Lutherans, as we called them here.

@Iker - even if 100% people here are gay and everyone has bad experience with Church and certain religious individuals, I simply do not believe in vindictiveness and reciprocal hatred towards all religious people. One has to rise above it, be better, and show them that their God made us in His image and who are they to question the works of God to whom they swear and bow?!?

I like Ana, I like her song fine, and I totally support her message which she is sending to people. Finally, we shall see what the audience will say and think of her "preaching", but please, guys, don't be nasty. We are better than this.

Ezio

Veteran
In Serbian we colloquially call Slovenes 'Austrijski konjušari' (Austrian grooms/horsemen).

I don't like that term though and find it derogatory. It stems from (in my opinion) misconception that Slovenes always had 'westernmost' mentality, attitude and behaviour compared to other nations in ex-Yugoslavia or Balkan whatsoever, even claiming they are somewhat arrogant in that regard. I do know they have derogatory term for us also, I forgot it but I ask some fellow Slovenes here to remind of it haha.

I think it's not their fault they are more hard-working and less tempered than us. They have always been most developed and educated part of Yugoslavia.

EDIT: Oh right, it's 'čepurci'

Wow, that is indeed very interesting. Slovenia actually flies under the radar of our neighbours, but Austria has so many neighbours and Germany and Switzerland overshadow almost all of them. But I think Slovenia is the most similar country to us, and not the other German-speaking countries. The culture and traditions are alike. I mean, the things typical about Slovenia in the Geography Now presentation are basically the things typical about us.

The only thing that I dont like about Slovenia is nuclear power plants. The landscape is sublime, the people are really cool. I think Slovenia doesnt consider itself Balkan and doesnt like the Balkan drama within the big Yugoslav family. In the youtube comment section there is always such a war of words for any video that is about any Balkan country. lol.

Austria is a German speaking but also a total melting pot of cultures at the Crossroads of Europe. The Slavic heritage and influence is as significant as the Bavarian, Hungarian or Napolean. My bloodtype is B, my eyes are blue while I have dark hair, that are typical slavic genetic features, although there are no Slavic names in my ancestry.

I think Slovenia is my favourite neighbour. I also like Slovakia and Czechia a lot. Switzerland is very beautiful, but expensive as well, and Swiss and Germans always look down on us, as if we didnt deserve to be independent or if we were a peasant country. And yet, we always focus on them. Many Austrians say that Italy is their favourite neighbour, but I would only sign up for South Tyrol. What differs us from Switzerland and Germany the most, is the mindset but also food. Going to the supermarket at home is always fun, while in CH or DE quite depressing.

Hungary at the moment is a scary place.

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Wow, that is indeed very interesting. Slovenia actually flies under the radar of our neighbours, but Austria has so many neighbours and Germany and Switzerland overshadow almost all of them. But I think Slovenia is the most similar country to us, and not the other German-speaking countries. The culture and traditions is really alike. I mean, the things typical about Slovenia in the Geography Now presentation are basically the things typical about us.

The only thing that I dont like about Slovenia is nuclear power plants. The landscape is sublime, the people are really cool. I think Slovenia doesnt consider itself Balkan and doesnt like the Balkan drama within the big Yugoslav family. In the youtube comment section there is always such a war of words for any video that is about any Balkan country. lol.

I think Slovenia is my favourite neighbour. I also like Slovakia and Czechia a lot. Switzerland is very beautiful, but expensive as well, and Swiss and Germans always look down on us, as if we didnt deserve to be independent or if we were a peasant country. And yet, we always focus on them. Many Austrians say that Italy is their favourite neighbour, but I would only sign up for South Tyrol.

Hungary at the moment is a scary place.

yes Slovenians adore and worship Austria in every way. Literally and yes we are very alike, we also got many words not just from the german language, but from Austrian dialect specifically like Paradajz (other Paradeiser und nicht Tomate), and štenge (Steige and not Treppe), Marelica (so Marillen and not Aprikose).. and some others:)

Top Bottom