• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Put your middle fingers up
Take a shot, throw it up and don't stop
I'm, I'm, I'm living that life on the dark side

Every psycho in the scene
Hands up and follow me saying (hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo)
Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me

Just another night in my pitch black paradise
Don't wanna cry, so I gotta get paralyzed
My body is my weapon, so I keep it loaded
'Til I'm all over the place like my head exploded
Don't waste your prayers, they can't save us
Lifestyles of the sick and dangerous

Likе the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
I'm, I'm, I'm living that lifе on the dark side
Life on the dark side

Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me

I'm in a cave of man-made misery
Digging a grave for myself and my enemies
Of all the dark things that keep me wasted
You're the sweetest I've ever tasted

Like the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
Life on the dark side

Just another night in my pitch black paradise
Don't wanna cry so I gotta get paralyzed
Don't waste your prayers, they can't save us
Lifestyles of the sick and dangerous

Like the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
Life on the dark side

Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me​

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Lyrics are fundamentally unimportant in music anyway. Just another layer of imaginary sounds to go with the rest. Unless the message is harmful or possesses some personal resonance, best to ignore it entirely.

Blind Channel are the best in this drab NF so far, but I see some problems. First of all, mauve loves them and if I know anything is that mauve never gets what she wants.

Secondly, 'Dark Side' has the combination of rap verses and metal chorus, which... either genre is very hard to pull off live, let alone both at once in front of a live audience? Metal often sounds unimpressive live. This one is already somewhat lacking in studio.

Blind Channel are the entry that I feel has the best chances to make the finale, as long as the vocals are impressive. Fingers crossed they've invested in good backings, because they'll need them.

empo21

Veteran
Finally a song that perks my interest in UMK. 'Dark Side' is easily the most interesting song so far (and I think it'll be the only one).

Finland, don't f@#k it up!

mauve

Veteran
Lyrics are fundamentally unimportant in music anyway. Just another layer of imaginary sounds to go with the rest. Unless the message is harmful or possesses some personal resonance, best to ignore it entirely.

Blind Channel are the best in this drab NF so far, but I see some problems. First of all, mauve loves them and if I know anything is that mauve never gets what she wants.

Secondly, 'Dark Side' has the combination of rap verses and metal chorus, which... either genre is very hard to pull off live, let alone both at once in front of a live audience? Metal often sounds unimpressive live. This one is already somewhat lacking in studio.

Blind Channel are the entry that I feel has the best chances to make the finale, as long as the vocals are impressive. Fingers crossed they've invested in good backings, because they'll need them.

:eek: Same thing shot thru my mind ... but then again I loved Conan from the start and he won - well, and didn't make it to the final ...:cry: If Finland decides against Dark side, MY dark side will pay a visit and that won't be funny at all. xdiablo

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Thank you for the post @Schlagerman1. It was interesting to read your view on the song and what you managed to get from it.

Whilst it's true that club 27 people lived remarkable lives, the music was incredible and they were celebrated for big reasons, what's also true is that we said goodbye to these people at a painfully young age, and we lost a lot when they went. I still remember a quote from Kurt Cobain's daughter Frances to Lana Del Rey. Frances never got to know her father and meanwhile there's Lana more or less telling us that dying young is glamorous. These were deaths that in many cases could have been prevented. In some cases they probably couldn't have been. They were tragedies regardless and not good things. The music was good (my god, it was magnificent in some cases), the artists were great people, but the deaths weren't fine. If this band wanted to say that life is short and to go all in, they could give better advice than they do here. Throwing club 27 into the chorus, immediately followed by a "headshot" lyric (that's how Kurt died and you're putting it in a Eurovision song), combined with the other boozy lyrics.. well, it just doesn't sit right with me. I cringe. There's no question even in my head here. I think it's romanticizing his death, along with the lifestyle that led to it. They can do it though. I'm all for freedom of expression. Just means I'm not going to like it. I think these artists should be better respected. I find their usage in this song a cheap throw in and the "headshot" lyric was the deal sealer that they weren't being used well. Of course this won't probably matter to a single fan but me, I understand that. 99.9999% of people won't know or catch on to what the 27 is referring to.

I don't think you can really compare a rock song that wants you to take it all dark and seriously (although actually, does it?) to a piece of kitsch disco from San Marino. They are two entirely different things. It would be a bit like telling me I can't judge this Resident Evil video game as I was playing Super Mario Brothers the other day. I look for different things in different genres. Rock is my main thing outside of Eurovision so I can at times be especially critical with what we get at the contest, which for me is usually frustratingly diluted. An often plastic kind of pop rock that's not my thing. I like music that doesn't make compromises, especially in particular genres where it becomes more important.

I appreciate you taking the time to tell me how the song makes you feel. I still feel that Dark Side is all the things I said it was, and I don't think I won't ever not really dislike its use here of club 27, but I can understand the song maybe having layers, or at the very least being something people can pull their own story from, like what you've told me here. That's the beauty of music and I can respect that very much. Our taste is after all subjective. Just had to say how this song made me feel, and I'm glad you've told me what it does for you in such great detail.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Are we SERIOUSLY getting holier than thou over a metal band's lyrics now? You're lucky they made it this clean. Usually they use much more graphic lyrics and punctuate them with "fuck".

In a nutshell: Bye, sis.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Are we SERIOUSLY getting holier than thou over a metal band's lyrics now? You're lucky they made it this clean. Usually they use much more graphic lyrics and punctuate them with "fuck".

In a nutshell: Bye, sis.

They can give us as many fucks and whatever else they want. The lyrics of this song I find tacky. This is a forum where we all share our opinions. I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept that's what I've done here, just as I've accepted others like the lyrics. Hi, sis.

heke1988

I can't even listen to it 30 seconds, you have 2 masterpieces with Aksel and Oskr and good songs with Danny and Laura, don't make the wrong choice

Why those are masterpieces and this isn't? Is it just, because you don't like rock/heavier music?

BorisBubbles

Veteran
it's called "having no taste".

Like literally. They only like the most plain, baseborn music and hate anything less. It's Citelis to the third power. Reasoning with them is like trying to make a toddler eat their veggies.

cegs5

Thank you Kai for pointing out the 27 club reference in the lyrics.

To be completely honest, although I know what it is about, I didn’t pay too much attention on it on my first listening, as perhaps I was more focused in the melody, rythm, structure and-or- style of the song.

I think they could sing about picking berries or the deepest poetical essay of the meaning of life and I’d have still paid more attention on the surface rather the substance, if any really. This is probably because of my, some would say, and I’d shamelessly admit, snobbish approach to actual rock genre. As I treated this entry as a plastic pop from the very beginning (it really didn’t take too long to recognise this wasn’t rock, let alone metal, as later it was confirmed by someone quoting the very self-definition from the band as a “violent” ? pop) I overlooked that bit, as I couldn’t care less of their lyrics.

I’m with you 100% when you admit looking different things from different genres, and I this is extensive to different artists in the same genre even, because we finally appreciate or judge a song on its own , individually. This gives us also freedom, and peace of mind when liking a song regardless, as we don’t really care about the so called “guilty pleasures”.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Listening to Dark Side now, and WOW! This is about as awesome as a Eurovision NF entry can possibly get. Reminds me a bit about Hollywood Undead, which is one of my favorite bands, so there's a really big chance that this will be my absolute favorite from this year's NF season. I think Little Big are the only ones that can make something that comes close.

Do this right Finland, send Blind Channel to Rotterdam, or I'll never vote for you again!

Morpheus

They can give us as many fucks and whatever else they want. The lyrics of this song I find tacky. This is a forum where we all share our opinions. I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept that's what I've done here, just as I've accepted others like the lyrics. Hi, sis.

Of course I accept your opinion and not liking the song is valid. I wasn't really directing this toward you specifically. It was more like a cry of general frustration because it's people who already hate the song who tend to get upset by the lyrics.

I'm sorry for being a dick, I hope I didn't offend you permanently. I actually like you.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Of course I accept your opinion and not liking the song is valid. I wasn't really directing this toward you specifically. It was more like a cry of general frustration because it's people who already hate the song who tend to get upset by the lyrics.

I'm sorry for being a dick, I hope I didn't offend you permanently. I actually like you.

And I'm sorry for being a little sassy back to you. I know I can be full on sometimes when sharing opinions. I tell myself not to but I always end up writing a mini novel.

I haven't been looking elsewhere for opinions on the song. I just decided to give it another chance whilst focusing a bit better, paying closer attention to the lyrics. I listen to a shit tonne of dark stuff outside of the contest. I'm unphased. It's just for me the dodgy reference used in Dark Side doesn't nestle in well with its surroundings, and it lessons the positive message I'm being told is there.

But anyway, regardless of my feelings for Dark Side, I think it's probably the most solid song on offer from the six we've heard. Providing it's performed well live, it will have its audience both in and outside the ESC bubble. It could do very (perhaps extremely) well. Out of fairness, I still think that Aksel should win but I'm starting to get a feeling it won't happen, especially with 75% televoting *cough* which I wish you would have had last year.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I consider myself very open to all genres. I liked AWS and Iceland 2019, and Finland 2014 is in my top 3. But this just isn't it - the lyrics are simply not good and rather simple, I hate that woof woof and I just don't like the concept as whole. It's not a bad song, and would I admit probably qualify and is also going to win, BUT imo it's not something I enjoy..

Mattan

Out of fairness, I still think that Aksel should win but I'm starting to get a feeling it won't happen, especially with 75% televoting *cough* which I wish you would have had last year.

If I’m not mistaken, Aksel would have won with 75% televoting as well. 80% would have been too much for him, though.

Now I’m here, might as well say Blind Channel is quite comfortably my favourite song so far. I also like Aksel, Oskr, and shockingly Danny, but good energetic entries at UMK are pretty rare, and this is one.

Looren

Veteran
I actually liked AWS, Manga and Softengine and loved Minus One so I'm not against rock song in ESC

But for me Blind Channel's song is just a big shit, they're not singing they're screaming

Top Bottom