Morocco MOROCCO 2021 - Not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Charly

Im gonna point this out;

For every claim "Morocco will not take part because of Israel" well :rolleyes:

lowyby

So you think Morocco is more than glad to show Conchita Wurst etc?

If Turkey/Hungary aren't participating I don't think Morocco will either :p

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Morocco has no problems with Gays participants or Israel or others

Then, what do you think it's preventing the country's participation in ESC? They have more right to join than Kazakhstan imo.

Loindici

Veteran
They're just not interested, I guess? Compared to other EBU broadcasters, is 2M TV relatively small?

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
By the way, 2M TV is not the Moroccan broadcaster in EBU, SNRT is.

Charly

@GianlucaTomoe @Loindici

The best way to put it, yes 2M are not EBU members + they are indeed small but theh do have a good satelite network for Moroccans living abroad such as France which is very easy to access.

SNRT is quite the complete opposite they are fairly large but satelite coverage is quite weak. It is rather quite old fashioned in a sense mainly relying on News and Moroccan programming + broadcast of sports and the occasional dubbing of tv series from Spain and Turkey. ESC or any other entertainment just does not fit in the programming for them hence why the low interest. Only live events they would be willing to broadcaat would be Sports or simply Royal Speeches.

If 2M had the capacity and membership then it would be a higher chance of participation especially their programming would fkt the agenda such as the fact they broadcast popular entertainment media such as Masterchef Morocco, studio 2m etc but then the limitation of being a singular channel.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I don't think Morocco will ever return in the near future. I just can't see them broadcasting a gay kiss, when it's ACTUALLY illegal to ba gay there - I mean if Turkey doesn't broadcast it, I doubt Morocco would, no offence to Moroccan people, but facts are facts. In the 80's Morocco was perhaps even more liberal than it is today.

anyway any Moroccan or anyone who actually lives or has lived in Morocco please correct me if I'm wrong.

JohnArg

Grinch

So you think Morocco is more than glad to show Conchita Wurst etc?

If Turkey/Hungary aren't participating I don't think Morocco will either :p

Well, that was one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Turkey hasn't been participating because the country stopped trying hopelessly to be a member of EU for a long time.
Participating since 1975 but in the 2000's, Eurovision was just a tool to have close relationship with European countries (Erdoğan's logic). Famous participants, catchy songs and so much money...
He has no intentions of getting close to Europe anymore, so "the tool" is useless now.

Conchita or any other act has nothing to do with Turkey's participation. It's all about Erdoğan's choices.
The reason of non-participation was told the jury system, but he was fine with it for years :sneaky:
He is a person who would suck up everything as long as it serves his goals.

hijirio

Veteran

A-lister

Veteran
Mdr my little sister is a lesbian and everyone acts normally with her

Maybe your family is more liberal (and that's a great thing so kudos xclap), but with all due respect it is illegal to be gay in Morocco and even punishable with prison in some cases. Now i'm no expert on Morocco per se, but I assume lesbians have it easier than gay males (since most of the countries where being gay is illegal tend to punish gay males much harsher), not that it would make it much different in regards to Eurovision but worth mentioning.

Now Eurovision is obviously a music contest and not some "LGBT-platform" (as some make it out to be), but that doesn't change the fact that it is huge with the gay community that also has a big impact on the show itself, so I do struggle with seeing Morocco being open to taking part and broadcasting it with the risk of some "LGBT promotion" would occur on the show. I am also not sure how open a Moroccan broadcaster would be with broadcasting a show where there's alot of half-naked ladies dancing around every now and then, not that I think it's technically illegal in Morocco, but not promoted either.

Charly

Although its illegal, many of the foreign expats that moved and live especially in Marrakech would be gay, look at YSL and the memorial in the Majorelle, take in account of the amount of tourists we recieve each year, the performers that came invited by organisers linked to the Government/Royal Family e.g Elton John.

The main thing to answer this yes illegal however, the general public and the views of Govenrment is that their Private life is their private life. Any news coverage of arrests links to only source of weddings or those sex parties but as long they keep it to themselves its no problem at all especially Morocco could still be considered as a moral conservative country but with a mear sense of liberalism considering the matters of private life especially with the consumption of alcohol which is techniaclly forbidden for muslims however it is widely consumed.

The acts such as Conchita Wurst is not the main issue it is just a pure lack of interest. If it was the case of participating, lgbt acts would not hinder the Moroccan participation (look at Russian altitude) but strategically such participation would be ideal for the need of investments ideally in tourism. Probably the biggest thing we have with the normalisation with Israel would be a boost in tourism :lol:

Top Bottom