Contact us

TONIGHT: EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2018 - LIVE DISCUSSION THREAD

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
And once again, the audio of the YouTube-videos of the live performances is incredibly low. When will EBU realize this?

crashworld

Veteran
Noticed also that Azerbaijan just missed out on qualification (11th), would have had them in the Final.

While I would have loved them to be in the finals, but it seems like the song fails to connect with the majority. It did no. 12 in both the televoters and juries.
It's a pity.

Simon87

I liked Sweden this year and it didnt deserve to be that low in televoting and that high in jury so its like a justice served :mrgreen:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
And once again, the audio of the YouTube-videos of the live performances is incredibly low. When will EBU realize this?

My ESC 2018 YouTube videos have no volume at all :(

Deleted member 15618

Just finally got Internet back at home! While Israel was not my personal winner this year, I congratulate them on their achievement of winning on the anniversary of Dana International.

Rusch

It was a great show again. Better than last year. I liked the hosts and I liked the fading of block voting. Still some Jury and Televoting is questionable, but overall it seemed in order.

Ichbinjari

I think Sweden was victim of several factors:

- People are maybe tired of the Swedish succes or they think Sweden will do well, so that they don't have to vote for it.
And/or (which I truly believe:
- Mikolas of the Czech Republic snatched away the young female fans. I had the feeling that Mikolas had the upperhand in this audience.

NemesisNick

I've just watched my video recording of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final from start to finish. Unlike when I watched it live Saturday night, I was able to pay more attention to the songs tonight as I wasn't composing comments on my laptop to post in multiple locations online, or ranking them with My Eurovision Scoreboard app on my smartphone. Likewise, I was able to pay more attention to the interval acts as I wasn't posting my finished My Eurovision Scoreboard top ten on my Facebook timeline and various ESC groups, and I wasn't dialling the mobile phone voting numbers of the countries I wanted to vote for. My thoughts on the songs are still unchanged; I personally would have preferred to have seen Armenia and Greece in place of Czech Republic and Israel in the final, and Poland and Montenegro in place of Hungary and Slovenia in the final. Nonetheless I appreciate different people have different musical tastes to me, and accept that millions of viewers evidently liked the entries from Czech Republic, Israel, Hungary and Slovenia. I cannot possibly expect to have all the songs I personally like the most qualify for the final, and have all the ones I dislike eliminated in the semi-finals. As for Israel winning with the song "Toy", although I personally didn't like it, Netta did well to score Israel's fourth win to-date in a field of 26 finalists, and 43 countries overall. Congratulations to Israel for winning the Eurovision Song Contest 2018.

MonkeyJaw

Lithuania was 9 in first semifinal and still beat Norway in both Jury and Televoting in final. That show how much stronger semifinal 1 was than semifinal 2.

Actually, it shows the strong diaspora from Lithuania. Since 2014, Norway has given 12 or 10 points to Lithuania. Every. Year.
Other countries that consecutively give high marks are GB and Ireland.

Last edited:

NemesisNick

Guess what! It's now five weeks since the Jury Rehearsal for the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final. How time flies! At last, my in-depth review of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final, which took place on Saturday 12 May 2018, is now available for you to enjoy. Click the link below for my review:

Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final

Preuss

Guess what! It's now five weeks since the Jury Rehearsal for the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final. How time flies! At last, my in-depth review of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final, which took place on Saturday 12 May 2018, is now available for you to enjoy. Click the link below for my review:

Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final

I so agree with Australia ;)) Was robbed! I get the fact that eveyrone couldn't/wouldn't like Australia, but last place... really... like fricking last place...?

mauve

Veteran
I so agree with Australia ;)) Was robbed! I get the fact that eveyrone couldn't/wouldn't like Australia, but last place... really... like fricking last place...?

I am not sure if she deserved the last place, but she just didn't hit the notes at all. To me personally, she sung terrible :? - and it seems others felt so as well.

Preuss

I am not sure if she deserved the last place, but she just didn't hit the notes at all. To me personally, she sung terrible :? - and it seems others felt so as well.

To me she sounded fine - but I'm not really picky of how people sing as long as it sounds good to my ears. I watched the grand final with some friends, and no one commented on the vocals of Jess, we really enjoyed the performance!

But ESC fans tend to pick on every error they find in entries they don't like so... I mean I really enjoyed this edition of the ESC, but if I'm gonna be picky like everyone else I could say that Netta sung poor parts of the song, Eleni used playback somewhere and song poor, Mikolas didn't sound as nearly as good as in the music video, Germany messed up the first note in the song etc.... But at the end of the day I don't bother to comment on these flaws because it's so unneccessary to do so. Like you can't expect anyone to sound just as good as in the studio versions of the songs

mauve

Veteran
To me she sounded fine - but I'm not really picky of how people sing as long as it sounds good to my ears. I watched the grand final with some friends, and no one commented on the vocals of Jess, we really enjoyed the performance!

But ESC fans tend to pick on every error they find in entries they don't like so... I mean I really enjoyed this edition of the ESC, but if I'm gonna be picky like everyone else I could say that Netta sung poor parts of the song, Eleni used playback somewhere and song poor, Mikolas didn't sound as nearly as good as in the music video, Germany messed up the first note in the song etc.... But at the end of the day I don't bother to comment on these flaws because it's so unneccessary to do so. Like you can't expect anyone to sound just as good as in the studio versions of the songs

Maybe you are right and everyone enjoys ESC his/her own way. And as you said correctly you cannot expect to sing as fantastic as in an original video. But still there is a difference of missing one or two notes or too many. But that's what ESC is about: some love a song and some don't. ;)

NemesisNick

My second report about the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final is now available here. This one covers an in-depth analysis of the voting.

Also included is an outline of how the results would have appeared if the 43 spokespersons had announced the televoting results first, and the hosts had announced the jury totals at the end. A direct link to this part is available here.

Pawhlen

My second report about the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 Grand Final is now available here. This one covers an in-depth analysis of the voting.

Also included is an outline of how the results would have appeared if the 43 spokespersons had announced the televoting results first, and the hosts had announced the jury totals at the end. A direct link to this part is available here.

https://scorewiz.eu/scoreboard/view/221917/eurovision-song-contest-2018-opposite - simulation of the opposite voting (televote individually first and jury votes last)

NemesisNick

https://scorewiz.eu/scoreboard/view/221917/eurovision-song-contest-2018-opposite - simulation of the opposite voting (televote individually first and jury votes last)
Thank you for posting your simulation, I watched that yesterday morning. Just one point, when it got to the jury totals section, it said "Televoting" at the top when it should have said "Jury voting".

Anyway, in the aftermath of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018, a collection of statistics covering 1956 to 2018 are available here:
Eurovision Song Contest Statistics 2018

Pawhlen

Thank you for posting your simulation, I watched that yesterday morning. Just one point, when it got to the jury totals section, it said "Televoting" at the top when it should have said "Jury voting".

Anyway, in the aftermath of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018, a collection of statistics covering 1956 to 2018 are available here:
Eurovision Song Contest Statistics 2018

I know, I´m using ScoreWiz a scoreboard simulator made by a person from :nl:, they upgraded that last December so you could use the 2016-current voting system

That´s why I wrote "opposite" in the actual name of the scoreboard

NemesisNick

Doesn't ScoreWiz have a facility to change "Televoting" to "Jury Voting" for those who want to do what you did, that is do each country's televoting scores first (country by country), and jury totals at the end?

Pawhlen

Doesn't ScoreWiz have a facility to change "Televoting" to "Jury Voting" for those who want to do what you did, that is do each country's televoting scores first (country by country), and jury totals at the end?

Nope, not yet, but hopefully, they will make that option avaliable in the next update

Yo ucan always email them and ask: [email protected]

Top Bottom