Contact us

The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - We have a winner!

r3gg13

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 4 (FYR MACEDONIA)

:mk: this year sounds like a demo disc for all the possible versions of the song. Although well polished and nicely finished, it feels like a cop out when you try multiple genres in the same song. It's like they couldn't think of which version to send, so they mashed them all together. (because why not, it's Eurovision). In my opinion, mixing multiple genres rarely adds value to songs- this song is no exception.

4/10 (4 for how well finished the song is, it would have 8+, had they stuck to just 1 genre).

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 4 (FYR MACEDONIA)

Feels odd to not see any reviews for :cy: but just mine. Where were all the fellow summer pop enthusiasts?? :( (well there's MatiMati but not in this thread... plus mine got featured but trimmed yaaay xheya)

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 1 (SPAIN)

05. ALBANIA - Eugent Bushpepa - Mall

05-ALBANIA-850x491.png

Read the "Expert" Panel reviews and vote in the poll here!

Do #YOU agree with our views on Albania? What's your opinion? Share your review of the Albanian entry below and we'll feature the best across the main site!​

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 5 (ALBANIA)

:al:

It takes time to buildup but once the power strikes, it's impactful and fills you up with joy and happiness. Though this type of 'folk' rock barely ever qualified that much and I fear the same will happen this time for Albania, no matter the semi difficulty, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Albania to succeed anyway.

10/10

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 6 (CZECH REPUBLIC)

:cz:

Blonde nerdy schoolboy tries to get girls for himself that won't cheat with another by writing a "Talk Dirty" ripoff and shaming one girl he met, he liked and that indeed went for another man. And those lyrics, too. Camels, spaghetti and wood all night long. Compressing all this it comes out as a decent product to be played on the radio these days.

6.7/10

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 6 (CZECH REPUBLIC)

Czech Republic -

Very catchy, but also very slimy. Mikolas comes across as arrogant and creepy, and even in the new family friendly version, the lyrics are borderline offensive and sexist. The tune is a little too simple, but does have somewhat of an earworm quality about it.

2/10

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 7 (MALTA)

tfw I'm only one writing reviews in here (this thread) and they're not getting picked up anyway...

:mt:

For once an entry this year that's just there. It attracts some people because Christabelle's vocals or the lyrics (that are incredibly by-the-numbers imo, at least in the chorus), but for me the whole song is just there and nothing more, nothing less. Not even dubstep saves it anyhow. Though I indeed like her vocal decency and the key of the chorus, it separates itself from the bland verses.

Nicfedy

For some reason I can't vote on the page there is no option. Maybe I was too late. Anyway I would have given Czech 4 and Malta 9.

Kevan1994

It's a difficult challenge to try to craft an intelligent pop song centred around mental health that. I definitely applaud the effort and some of the lyrics in the verses are actually quite powerful in telling a story (e.g. I know that I am not alone; Let all our thoughts and ghosts unfold; In the darkness I’ve found home; But what is next is still unknown). Unfortunately, the styling of the song doesn't allow the listener to fully focus on the message in a meaningful way. Also, the clichéd use of "sticks and stones" and the repeating of words in the chorus (i.e. "animals, animals", "criminals, criminals", "miracles, miracles") makes the song feel instantly cheapened. Overall, I'd give Taboo a 6/10 and have it ranked #28 in my top 43.

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 8 (CROATIA)

:hr:

"Zemer ku je" meets "Fly with Me" meets Lady Gaga meets Alicia Keys meets The Great Gatsby..? Eh? The video is well-directed I guess, and the song... soundtracks the late night passion with a remarkably strong third chorus and the pronouncing alterations between "krej-ze-ah" and "krej-zy". Decent but just perhaps not enough.

(even if most of them won't make it I hope to post a review for (almost) every day)

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 9 (UNITED KINGDOM)

A solid, anthemic pop song with a likeable, charismatic and powerful performer. I would say it's the best UK entry since 2014, but Molly was poor on the night. I think many fans will be surprised at how well this does...as long as they don't mess up the staging.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 10 (FINLAND)

The kind of song I don't like to hear at Eurovision. A typical, tuneless radio song. It's all sizzle and no steak. I really hate the current trend of having almost non-existent choruses, and this song continues that. This feels more like a JESC song, and the staging will likely be completely over the top. Beyond the fan bubble, I don't see much support for this.

Himan

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 10 (FINLAND)

I am trying to like the song, but I just can't. Especially live at the big notes I really dislike it. Her voice doesn't fit with this kind of song. Though she probably likes this the best. The good news is that this contest hasn't have much songs like this one, so it can still qualify.

Top Bottom