Contact us

The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - We have a winner!

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Hello everybody!

We will once again be doing the infamous "Expert" Panel on the main website this year, with our editors and writing staff picking apart the 43 songs for Lisbon. But of course, the website would be nothing without #YOU - so this is your chance to make your opinion heard on a much wider platform!

After we have been able to take apart the songs, we will turn it over to #YOU! The public 'televote' will be added to our scores to give an overall ESC United rating of the songs this year, but if you fancy praising or criticizing the songs yourself you can do so in this very thread! The best short reviews from both social media and this forum will be featured on the main website for thousands of Eurovision fans to see, so make sure to be as creatively opinionated on the songs as possible!

We begin tomorrow with a fan favourite - Spain - before continuing on through the 43 songs in random order. Which song will come out on top between the staff and the public? Stay tuned to find out!

ESC UNITED "EXPERT" PANEL REVIEWS
01. :es: SPAIN - Alfred & Amaia - Tu canción (19/03 - LINK)
02. :az: AZERBAIJAN - Aisel - X My Heart (20/03 - LINK)
03. :cy: CYPRUS - Eleni Foureira - Fuego (21/03 - LINK)
04. :mk: (FYR) MACEDONIA - Eye Cue - Lost and Found (22/03 - LINK)
05. :al: ALBANIA - Eugent Bushpepa - Mall (23/03 - LINK)
06. :cz: CZECH REPUBLIC - Mikolas Josef - Lie to Me (24/03 - LINK)
07. :mt: MALTA - Christabelle - Taboo (25/03 - LINK)
08. :hr: CROATIA - Franka - Crazy (26/03)
09. :uk: UNITED KINGDOM - SuRie - Storm (27/03)
10. :fi: FINLAND - Saara Aalto - Monsters (28/03)
11. :ch: SWITZERLAND - Zibbz - Stones (29/03)
12. :fr: FRANCE - Madame Monsieur - Mercy (30/03)
13. :pt: PORTUGAL - Cláudia Pascoal - O jardim (31/03)
14. :md: MOLDOVA - DoReDos - My Lucky Day (01/04)
15. :ro: ROMANIA - The Humans - Goodbye (02/04)
16. :bg: BULGARIA - Equinox - Bones (03/04)
17. :il: ISRAEL - Netta - Toy (04/04)
18. :de: GERMANY - Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone (05/04)
19. :lt: LITHUANIA - Ieva Zasimauskaitė - When We're Old (06/04)
20. :rs: SERBIA - Sanja Ilić & Balkanika - Nova deca (07/04)
21. :nl: NETHERLANDS - Waylon - Outlaw in 'Em (08/04)
22. :hu: HUNGARY - AWS - Viszlát nyár (09/04)
23. :sm: SAN MARINO - Jessika ft. Jenifer Brening - Who We Are (10/04)
24. :no: NORWAY - Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write a Song (11/04)
25. (12/04)
26. (13/04)
27. (14/04)
28. (15/04)
29. (16/04)
30. (17/04)
31. (18/04)
32. (19/04)
33. (20/04)
34. (21/04)
35. (22/04)
36. (23/04)
37. (24/04)
38. (25/04)
39. (26/04)
40. (27/04)
41. (28/04)
42. (29/04)
43. (30/04)

revallsay

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - Starting Monday 19th!

[MENTION=4371]Sean[/MENTION] do we have to tell our opinion about every songs, I mean, take part everyday?

Sean

Admin
Staff member

[MENTION=4371]Sean[/MENTION] do we have to tell our opinion about every songs, I mean, take part everyday?

No, it requires no full commitment from anybody other than us at ESC United, but if you have a song you want to submit a short review for to try and get featured on the website it is highly encouraged!

Ringdalen

Can we post our reviews for the song's we want to review whenever or do we have to wait till it's next in line? :D

Sean

Admin
Staff member

Can we post our reviews for the song's we want to review whenever or do we have to wait till it's next in line? :D

You can post whenever if you wish but I'd rather you did it on the day of posting to make it easier :mrgreen:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Also, some of your comments will be featured in our upcoming video series as well so make sure to participate when possible.

Bibha

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 1 (SPAIN)

I feel that while their chemistry may be real, it is so 'in your face' that it seems forced to me. Also the song is very slow and the build-up amounts to nothing.The male singer's voice is too nasal for a romantic song and doesn't help build up the mood.This will do better than last year's Spanish entry but the Spanish fans overhyping their entry is not helping.The revamp made the song a little more appreciable though. A 5/10 for me.

Antho

I didn’t like the song at all when it first came out. I found it way too cheesy, way too slow and didn't like that much both of Alfred's and Amaia's voice. Surprisingly, I started to appreciate it after the revamp, it gives the song some punch and makes it less boring. I got used to their voices, and now I think they're cute. Well, it's still the song that I hated at the beginning so I'm obviously not the biggest fan of it, but honestly I think it's a nice little love song. 7/10

ayzelto

As a Spaniard, I find their love story so real and unique, but obviously that is something only people who have watched the show can ‘understand’.
Regarding the song, I loved it since the first time I listened to it, so 10/10

hawadharma

Hi there from your Asian brother!

'Tu Cancion' - As a first impression, I don't like the song. I find the music arrangement too generic and the vocals too amateur to secure any points from me.
However, after 2-3 times of listening, I began to appreciate the heart and soul being put in making this song one of (if not) the most quietly romantic song of this season.

I give this song 2 points for the originality and the soulfulness, but not something I would vote as my Top 10 in real ESC.

Note: Spain seems determined to maintain their reputation to stay at the bottom of the final scoreboard, (almost) every year, since 2005. :lol:

Nicfedy

1pt. Expect Spain to do a dogs dinner of a presentation.

AliceEsc

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 2 (AZERBAIJAN)

Although i like the melody.. the lyrics and the way they express their feelings on stage is too in your face. I feel like they force me to believe they 're in love.. 5 points because they are cute and the song is not that bad..!

Bibha

While X my heart is definitely not revolutionary, it's a good pop tune and the revamp made it even groovier. I think most people are underrating the song and the vocal abilities of Aisel. Also we know her team will be bringing great staging. A 8/10 for me. Also Aisel's name means moon so Aisel, moon me up.

Himan

It's just a normal song, but thats not.enough in Eurovision. You need to have someething special or you will not get enough televotes. It will probably just qualify for the final. 6/10

BernadetteCydonia

:az:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a poor man's "Monsters", considerably because Swedish songwriters worked on both of these. Same key, similar bpm, both solo female vocalists... except that "Monsters" has a better feel to be a gay club anthem for quite a bit if it wants to while "X My Heart" is pretty much the musical equivalent of that girl in its music video who would be a typical garden party attendee and that is way too young for nightclubs. "X My Heart" is innocent (and kids like saying nonsense at their small age xD that might as well explain why is it a lyrical mess?) while "Monsters" is fierce. For an Azeri attempt, it's way weaker than usual and by all the makings of it, it should seem like a nonqualifier but what wouldn't Azerbaijan do to keep seeing themselves in the scoreboard year after year...

6/10 or 7/10... that is the question... I'm assuming I'll be generous enough to give it a halfway score. 6.5/10

BernadetteCydonia

Re: The ESC United "Expert Panel" 2018 - DAY 3 (CYPRUS)

:cy:

It has quite everything to certify this as a summer hit. Infectious beats? Check. Memorable chorus? Check. Delivering drop? Check, perhaps. Something on the road you could be singing all summer long. Aye aye aye, fue-go! However, I gotta worry about all the rumours that Eleni is a flop vocalist live... but eh, it's Eleni, and the Eurovision fandom who get around all those online music contests will instantly recognize her name and expect something upbeat enough they can dance their asses off to - and since they will get it, they will upvote her massively as well, abiding the live impossibilities... if that didn't ruin Demy's qualification, jury won't either. Also my fave part of the video is when she said "Fuego" in the first chorus when the camera was slowly panning to the right and she felt like a human statue that forgot to stay quiet. As well as the random Perfectil product placement. Never thought it's still a popular product nowadays.

7/10

Top Bottom