escYOUnited

Administrator
Czech-Card.png

LYRICS (Click Spoiler)

Videos:
Reaction Video

DanielLuis

Re: CZECH REPUBLIC 2018

Jan Bors has said that the Czech broadcaster, inspired by Portugal's victory, is planning on working only with Czech composers for the selection of the 2018 entry, unlike what happened in recent years. He says that 5 composers will be contacted to write a song and select a singer to perform it, and a professional jury selected by CT will choose which one of the resulting 5 entries will represent the Czech Republic in Lisbon.
He also said that, depending on the next few results of the country, CT might plan a NF in the future.

tuorem

Jan Bors has said that the Czech broadcaster, inspired by Portugal's victory, is planning on working only with Czech composers for the selection of the 2018 entry, unlike what happened in recent years. He says that 5 composers will be contacted to write a song and select a singer to perform it, and a professional jury selected by CT will choose which one of the resulting 5 entries will represent the Czech Republic in Lisbon.
He also said that, depending on the next few results of the country, CT might plan a NF in the future.

Amen! I was thinking about how "Hope Never Dies" was still their biggest success with televoters a few days ago and wished they would get back to their local scene. Sending imports is cute for a time, then it gets boring as it doesn't have anything to do with Czech music.

May I even dare to hope they'll consider sending the chosen song in their language? Please xpray I remember a member of their delegation saying it was too harsh or whatever, the same bs all countries seem to adhere to justify the use of English. Why be afraid of your culture? Show it!

randajad

Veteran

Those are fantastic news. It is so nice to hear that everybody is focusing on composers now. Hope Czech Republic chooses wisely and give me a reason to visit Prague again. xheat Btw, I live for the Czech voting and that Hradčany view behind. xheat

tuorem

Those are fantastic news. It is so nice to hear that everybody is focusing on composers now. Hope Czech Republic chooses wisely and give me a reason to visit Prague again. xheat Btw, I live for the Czech voting and that Hradčany view behind. xheat

Praha is life. xheart Hradčany is currently my desktop wallpaper btw, I miss the city so much.
Easily the best place I ever visited. If the contest is held there one day, I'd seriously consider attending it.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

I just realized I received an email from the Head of Press a couple of weeks ago. he won't be back in 2018 and doesn't know if the Czech Republic is going to take part next year. Not sure if that's a bad sign, hopefully not.

nofuxCZ

You can send songs to [email protected] till 17th of November. Foreign producers/songwriters are welcome as well - the only condition for the entry eligibility is that one of the vocalists has to be Czech.

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/...-na-eurovizi-hleda-se-pisen-pro-lisabon-2018/

Artists who already confirmed they will send songs: Dasha, Thom Artway, Mikolas Josef, Markéta Konvičková, Pavel Callta, Elis Mráz, Yanna, Mariana Prachařová, Annabelle, Doctor Victor, Eddie Stoilow.
Václav Noid Bárta says he would be interested in returning as well.

ČT mentions this year they want to focus the most on stage presentation. They also plan to participate in promo tours (they mention visiting at least 6 countries for promo activities)

Charly

My best bet from all the confirmed artists so far would be Mikolas Josef

Well something like this, could great a good stage if they could plan it good

tuorem

No bland mess please.

I'd welcome Václav with open arms if he shows his usual style. I loved "Hope Never Dies", but since his participation with Marta, I'm convinced a melancholic pop/rock hybrid song in Czech would do wonders (something melodic and powerful along the lines of Poušť, for instance). Honestly, he's the total package to me, he's a good composer, his voice is gold and he can perform like no other. I hope we'll see him compete alone one day.

But I cross my fingers for a great song first and foremost. Whoever sings it, I'd like Czechs to stay away from formulaic songs. "My Turn" was cute, but it wasn't really ambitious musically-speaking imo. They can do better.

And hopefully national composers won't be disregarded. The last two Eurovision winning songs were "homemade" ones, just a reminder :p Please show us what you're capable of, don't just blend in!

DanielLuis

Jan Bors revealed that more than 130 songs have been submitted to CT already! Considering we're still 15 days away from the deadline, this is a very good number for the Czech Republic. He said that so far the variety of genres is big and that a lot of Czech composers and singers have entered a song. He also says that many Czech singers partnered up with foreign composers.

Charly

Hearing that many Czech artists are interested (130) entries this can reflect CZ in the future especially with the way they are going getting more engaged etc.

Hopefully viewers interest may increase depending on results but I do hope to see something good this year

DanielLuis

So, more than 300 entries were received. There are songs in English, French and Czech and there are various music styles, including rock, country, pop, ballads and many others.
CT revealed some of the artists that are competing - they invited a French singer named Annabelle. Other revealed names include Czech singers YANNA, with a piano-based slow tempo entry and with another more pop entry, Mikolas Josef with the song "Lie to me", that has already been published and is playing on the radios and Jakub Ondra.

tuorem

At first listening, I don't know what to think of "Lie To Me". The instrumental isn't bad, however the vocal part is rather bland, the whole thing would sound better in Czech. Besides, there is always the problem of rap (or what sounds like spoken singing) in Eurovision, juries have yet to get out of their pop bubble.

Putting the product aside (in its studio version), I wonder if it would work live. What does the job on the radio isn't necessarily going to work in a tv show, and those musical breaks would require a proper staging not to come across as boring.

Anyway, I hope Czechs have received better submissions, as I can't see that much potential in this song for Eurovision (even though urban-sounding songs are non-existent in the contest). They need to stand out if they want to go somewhere.

Top Bottom