View Full Version : MALTA 2013 - Gianluca – Tomorrow

Pages : [1] 2 3

escYOUnited
27th April 2012, 05:03
http://www.escunited.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Malta.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmJXIR9xtw

Matt
2nd May 2012, 23:39
Since it's only a matter of time someone brings it up I may as well say it first. Is Chiara going to give it another shot???

Terence
20th May 2012, 14:53
Hope not!

I wish for something traditional... folk... something like that. Even though it may be a flop hit, at least it's something traditional to be proud of!

Vanessa
20th May 2012, 15:02
Since it's only a matter of time someone brings it up I may as well say it first. Is Chiara going to give it another shot???

She can't. If I remember correctly, a Maltese representative can't take part in the preselection until 5 years pass after representing their country.

Anyway Kaya please. :)

Matt
20th May 2012, 19:10
She can't. If I remember correctly, a Maltese representative can't take part in the preselection until 5 years pass after representing their country.

Anyway Kaya please. :)

I think it was 3 years. Chiara represented Malta in 2005 and 2009 so I'd think she is eligible.

Andalublue
20th May 2012, 21:31
I think it was 3 years. Chiara represented Malta in 2005 and 2009 so I'd think she is eligible.I hope she doesn't. She was brilliant in 1998, okay in 2005 and dreadful in 2009. I do think there's a reasonable chance of Malta hosting next year as I think they have a very strong entry in Baku.

Vanessa
20th May 2012, 23:41
I think it was 3 years. Chiara represented Malta in 2005 and 2009 so I'd think she is eligible.

It was 3 years before but now it's 5 years according to esctoday and wikipedia.
So Olivia Lewis can return now but no Chiara.

NikkiBoy
26th May 2012, 09:16
When Malta qualifired 2 days ago, they got hope and will participate in the next edition 2013 :D

CPV4931
26th May 2012, 13:48
Even if they would fail to qualify 5 years a row, Malta would countinue participating...
I mean, the ESC is clearly the most-watched TV-show in Malta.

Hegepege
27th May 2012, 21:13
It's not the same without Chiara. Would love to see her back!

Terence
28th May 2012, 01:15
Honestly, missing a year would do us good... as much as people love it, there's probably an equal number of people who can't stand ESC, mainly because of all the participation fees, expenses, promo tours (which I do admit that are a bit unnecessary). I really wish we'd go for an internal selection ONCE, and select something more traditional/Mediterranean.

And no more Chiara, Fabrizio or comeback artists... please!

NikkiBoy
28th May 2012, 10:48
Chiara is the best for ::mt Malta ever ^^'
But something new - please :D

CypriotGirl
31st May 2012, 22:22
Maybe Claudia Faniello will eventually win the NF? :lol:

What about Kevin Borg? He's famous in Sweden, and ESC will be in Sweden, so why not?

Matt
17th September 2012, 22:26
The station is now inviting artists and composers to send their works to them before the end of next month. Songwriters from all over the world are allowed to take part, however singers must be Maltese nationals or hold dual-citizenship to the country. Furthermore, artists who already represented Malta after 2007 are not allowed to enter again.

That means no Chiara, no Kurt...................

Source (http://www.escdaily.com/malta-national-selection-underway-for-next-year)

Jukica
18th September 2012, 01:25
Hmm hoping for Claudia Faniello :D Annalise Ellul was underrated in 2012 :( but you would like to see sth. in this style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovvQ6N2jSg

Jim
18th September 2012, 01:33
Malta, please send Claudia Faniello to Malmo! That poor girl competes every year (around 10) and she comes 2nd or 3rd every year in the Maltese NF. :D

A-lister
18th September 2012, 21:31
Maybe something more genuine and local? Maybe we could finally hear atleast SOME parts in Maltese?

I'm sort of tired of the overly cheesy stuff we get every year, no offense Malta, but ESC is not jESC.

Milos-BC
19th September 2012, 20:04
Malta, please send Claudia Faniello to Malmo! That poor girl competes every year (around 10) and she comes 2nd or 3rd every year in the Maltese NF. :D

Well she just needs to be patient. According to Murphy's law as well as the law of the big numbers........she will win once.....once :lol:

A-lister
21st September 2012, 00:58
Well she just needs to be patient. According to Murphy's law as well as the law of the big numbers........she will win once.....once :lol:

Claudia Faniello was my favorite in the Maltese selections 2007-2009, especially in 2007 she was REALLY robbed! I love that entry (and at last we got a tiny sentence in Maltese for a change):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtiDha0lgA0

dizzydjc
22nd September 2012, 18:39
O/T but I dreamt last night Malta won next year and they sent some novelty act ala PSY/Russian Grannies.

They won by a landslide and then I somehow became part of organising committee for next year (I'm in no way connected to Malta btw) and I shouted at somebody saying they don't have a venue!! haha.

Thought i'd share for your entertainment.

Milos-BC
22nd September 2012, 23:59
Claudia Faniello was my favorite in the Maltese selections 2007-2009, especially in 2007 she was REALLY robbed! I love that entry (and at last we got a tiny sentence in Maltese for a change):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtiDha0lgA0

I totally agree.

And especially about this entry. This was, for me, much better than Olivia Lewis' entry that, in the end, made it to ESC.

Terence
25th October 2012, 23:59
Judging by the past few years, it could be a relative newcomer who will represent Malta in ESC (Kurt, Morena, Thea Garrett were all quite unknown here)... Miss Faniello better have a killer song then!

No dates announced yet for the NF, but it should be in January, as most probably the upcoming General election will take place in March - and that's the one thing people here care about more than Eurovision :lol: so we'd better get the NF over & done with as soon as possible!

Matt
29th October 2012, 03:13
Fabrizio Faniello was interviewed by the OGAE Italy president and advised that he will indeed submit a song for the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2013. Fabrizio continues to explain during the interview that his next submission will be more different that what we usually hear in this festival. This decision came about when many people were commenting that his Eurovision entries which are usually submitted are very similar to each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6s75EWT3ncE

dragvision
29th October 2012, 11:13
his voice his changed very much.

Kryptonite
29th October 2012, 15:41
Fabrizio Faniello was interviewed by the OGAE Italy president and advised that he will indeed submit a song for the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2013.

I can't say that I'm surprised. :lol:

It doesn't bother me though, because I quite liked his last few entries. "I Will Fight For You" and "No Surrender" were both melodically very good, but the lyrics of "I Will Fight For You" were just too cheesy. Even for my taste. I also liked "I Do", but we all know how it ended ...

That's why I can't (and don't want to) see him winning. Another reason for this - His voice and live performance are just too unsteady for Eurovision.

I hope that Claudia applies as well! "Pure" was my absolute favourite of Maltese NF 2012.

Matt
30th October 2012, 19:28
Kelly Cassar is a rising star in Malta and she will submit a song for 2013 Malta Eurovision selection. She is hoping to make it as a finalist and dreams of representing her country at the Eurovision Song Contest. Kelly has already had considerable success already at home and abroad.

http://www.eurovisionary.com/files/images/292891_10151079329111776_857911370_n.thumbnail.jpg

READ MORE HERE (http://www.eurovisionary.com/eurovision-news/kelly-cassar-try-eurovision-malta)

A-lister
31st October 2012, 03:03
I guess another year with cheesy songs in English or will Malta ever grow some backbones in this contest? :lol:

I'm not out to sound like a hater, but Malta just need to drop the cheese once and for all imo, try something new for a change? Why not embrace the fact that they have a unique language for instance?

Matt
31st October 2012, 20:23
PBS, the Maltese national broadcaster has announced that a total of 182 songs have been received in order to compete at the 2013 Maltese Eurovision national selection. The broadcaster will now have to pick the lucky 24 songs to compete in the 2013 Maltese Eurovision national selection.

http://www.esctoday.com/?p=38358 (READ MORE

marccb
3rd November 2012, 02:15
Home (http://escflashmalta.com) for all of the latest news about the Malta Eurovision Song Contest. We have exclusively confirmed the submissions from Claudia Faniello, Kaya, Marilena Gauci, Rachel Verzin, Stefan Galea and Danica Muscat amongst others whilst former representatives such as Miriam Christine; William Mangion, Ludwig Galea and Fabrizio Faniello have also submitted!

A-lister
14th November 2012, 16:03
Only ONE title (Jessica Muscat - Serenità) in Maltese? out of 69 (and whether or not the song is in Maltese or even partly in Maltese is still not known and the title could very well be in Italian so not sure if it's Maltese afterall). Shame on you Malta!

Eurovision semi final phase songs published | TVM News (http://tvm.com.mt/news/eurovision-semi-final-phase-songs-published/)

Terence
14th November 2012, 17:20
Fabrizio will keep trying till he wins it for the third time, won't he? God help me/us :o

QwaarJet
14th November 2012, 18:44
Only ONE title (Jessica Muscat - Serenità) in Maltese? out of 69 (and whether or not the song is in Maltese or even partly in Maltese is still not known and the title could very well be in Italian so not sure if it's Maltese afterall). Shame on you Malta!

Eurovision semi final phase songs published | TVM News (http://tvm.com.mt/news/eurovision-semi-final-phase-songs-published/)

Why should they sing in Maltese? There is no reason to do so.

A-lister
14th November 2012, 19:27

And why not may I ask? xshrug

CC92
14th November 2012, 19:44

Because it is their language??!

Terence
14th November 2012, 23:50
As a person who speaks Maltese (and proudly so), I so long for a song sung partly in Maltese. I won't say entirely in Maltese as I don't know how well the language is perceived as it's hardly Italian/French (those languages sound so great) but a few verses in Maltese won't hurt.

The Maltese version of Thea Garrett's 'My Dream' was better than the actual English version IMO!

A-lister
14th November 2012, 23:54
As a person who speaks Maltese (and proudly so), I so long for a song sung partly in Maltese. I won't say entirely in Maltese as I don't know how well the language is perceived as it's hardly Italian/French (those languages sound so great) but a few verses in Maltese won't hurt.

The Maltese version of Thea Garrett's 'My Dream' was better than the actual English version IMO!

Well, most languages can actually sound good in music if done in a good way.

Whether Italian or French are sounding good is subjective, not some universal truth.

I agree about 'My Dream', I didn't like that entry at all but atleast in Maltese it had some sort of character. Yeah atleast some parts in Maltese. Instead of hiding the language it should be embraced, I mean it's a unique language with few speakers.

QwaarJet
15th November 2012, 01:30
Because it is their language??!

Which would make sense if it was their only official language. But they also have English, and guess which is going to win the most votes? And if they don't go for an English song, then go for an Italian one, because at least some other countries will understand it. But I see no point in singing in a language that no one else could possibly understand, especially in a country where 88% of the population can speak English anyway. It's different if we're talking about Serbian, Spanish or French, because they are much more widely understood.

I like a nice variety of different languages at Eurovision, but most of Malta's songs are fairly Western, and I think English suits that very well. For those types of songs, Maltese would be totally pointless imho. Not that I'm against having a Maltese song, it would certainly be interesting, but from a logical standpoint, It makes no sense.

A-lister
15th November 2012, 02:36
Which would make sense if it was their only official language. But they also have English, and guess which is going to win the most votes? And if they don't go for an English song, then go for an Italian one, because at least some other countries will understand it. But I see no point in singing in a language that no one else could possibly understand, especially in a country where 88% of the population can speak English anyway. It's different if we're talking about Serbian, Spanish or French, because they are much more widely understood.

I like a nice variety of different languages at Eurovision, but most of Malta's songs are fairly Western, and I think English suits that very well. For those types of songs, Maltese would be totally pointless imho. Not that I'm against having a Maltese song, it would certainly be interesting, but from a logical standpoint, It makes no sense.

You contradict yourself, you say you like a nice variety of languages in ESC, then on the other hand you only seem to care about the languages which alot of people understand and using languages 'bringing the best possible result'... to me that sounds like the contrary of liking a variety of languages.

My firm believe is that ESC should stay true to its concept of songs representing their respective countries. Maltese is a unique language that have been unheard by the masses, I think many would find it interesting to hear it in a fitting song. What you basically say is that because the Maltese language is a tiny one it's useless to use and not 'beneficial', I think that's a very narrow-minded view. So only big languages are worthy?

Estonian is a tiny language, yet singing in Estonian did bring that country some of its best results in ESC. So your 'logic' fails anyways. I mean Malta has been constantly singing in English, and then what? Did they get so good results out of it? I think the less countries try to 'fit in' and instead stay more true and genuine to themselves or date to be a bit out of the box, the better results they'll get. Malta's problem is the lack of interesting enough entries, and certainly Maltese could just HELP in this case.

CC92
15th November 2012, 02:56
Because it is their language??! would make sense if it was their only official language. But they also have English, and guess which is going to win the most votes? And if they don't go for an English song, then go for an Italian one, because at least some other countries will understand it. But I see no point in singing in a language that no one else could possibly understand, especially in a country where 88% of the population can speak English anyway. It's different if we're talking about Serbian, Spanish or French, because they are much more widely understood.

Well, for how many Maltese is English a native tongue? That is what counts IMHO, and yep, I even think that during the nineties Malta committed quasi 'legal cheating' by sending songs in English all the time.
As A-Lister saith, Maltese could give the entry a special flavour; especially since almost everyone is singing in English these days. After all, how has sending English songs helped them recently??
PS: A not so 'Western' (aka American/Swedish) sounding entry for a change might be even more interesting.

CC92
15th November 2012, 03:04
Whether Italian or French are sounding good is subjective, not some universal truth.

This. I find Italian incredibly boring tbh and French, well, I use to somewhat like it now but in the past I thought it would sound camp and quite frankly I know many people who still find it does. And again, how successful were entries in these languages in recent years? Actually songs in Greek, Serbian, Estonian did all fare better. So why not Maltese?

QwaarJet
15th November 2012, 03:47
You contradict yourself, you say you like a nice variety of languages in ESC, then on the other hand you only seem to care about the languages which alot of people understand and using languages 'bringing the best possible result'... to me that sounds like the contrary of liking a variety of languages.

My firm believe is that ESC should stay true to its concept of songs representing their respective countries. Maltese is a unique language that have been unheard by the masses, I think many would find it interesting to hear it in a fitting song. What you basically say is that because the Maltese language is a tiny one it's useless to use and not 'beneficial', I think that's a very narrow-minded view. So only big languages are worthy?

Estonian is a tiny language, yet singing in Estonian did bring that country some of its best results in ESC. So your 'logic' fails anyways. I mean Malta has been constantly singing in English, and then what? Did they get so good results out of it? I think the less countries try to 'fit in' and instead stay more true and genuine to themselves or date to be a bit out of the box, the better results they'll get. Malta's problem is the lack of interesting enough entries, and certainly Maltese could just HELP in this case.

Read again. I was not contradicting myself at all. I said I like when countries use other languages, but I'm also saying that it maybe isn't the best move if you are looking for results.

As for your mention of Estonia, you are using 1 example to back up your point, and let's not forget Estonia's best ever result was in English. The winners over the past 14 years don't lie. One winner in another language, the rest in English. That is not coincidence. If you want to win, English is your best bet and that is a statistical fact.

I do agree however that language isn't Malta's problem, It is their lack of quality songs. I don't care what language their winning song is, but I simply believe that English is their best bet for languages, as they clearly do as well, looking at the amount of entries in English.

CC92
15th November 2012, 09:54
It is no wonder that there are more English songs that did well considering that since the abolishment of the language rule the vast majority of entries have been in English. If you think proportionally, however, you will get a more balanced picture. Not necessarily when looking at the winning songs only, but the places behind in many of the last ten years actually were occupied by non-English contributions. And everyone that came second or third could of won under slightly different circumstances.

2003:
2nd in imaginary language (2 points behind)
3rd in Russian (3 points behind)

2004:
1st partly in Ukrainian
2nd in Serbian

2006:
3rd in Bosnian

2007:
1st in Serbian
2nd mainly in Ukrainian/Russian/German

2011:
3rd mainly in Greek

2012:
2nd mainly in Udmurt
3rd in Serbian

Also, semi-final winners (placing 1st) in 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012 were entirely or for the most part performend in a language other than English.

And seriously, if Malta genuinely were just hoping to stand a chance at victory with songs such as One life, My dream, etc. ... :?

A-lister
15th November 2012, 13:52
Read again. I was not contradicting myself at all. I said I like when countries use other languages, but I'm also saying that it maybe isn't the best move if you are looking for results.

As for your mention of Estonia, you are using 1 example to back up your point, and let's not forget Estonia's best ever result was in English. The winners over the past 14 years don't lie. One winner in another language, the rest in English. That is not coincidence. If you want to win, English is your best bet and that is a statistical fact.

I do agree however that language isn't Malta's problem, It is their lack of quality songs. I don't care what language their winning song is, but I simply believe that English is their best bet for languages, as they clearly do as well, looking at the amount of entries in English.

Yes I do think you contradict yourself because you can't say you like diversity in language and then suggest the contrary, makes no sense imo.

It's not just about winning. Yes Estonia won in English (an entry most people even think to this date wasn't even a worthy winner btw), but they had good positions with almost every try in Estonian, but most of their English stuff flopped.

Again I cannot stop stressing that winning is not ALL, for many countries (Malta would be one of them) even a top. 10 would be a 'win' in itself, and looking at the top. 10 of 2012 for instance 6/10 entries were partly or fully in native languages.

So you agree that Malta didn't really benefit from sending English anyways and the problem is their songs rather then language? But then you still suggest that they should continue on this path that is obviously not working out for them? xshrug

Matt
16th November 2012, 01:42
Just a quick breakdown or artists still in the running:

William Mangion (ESC 1993) is in the running with this song Somewhere Under the Sun.
Miriam Christine represented Malta in 1996 and is giving Eurovision another shot, this time with the song "Closer to you"
Fabrizio Faniello who sang for Malta twice (2001 & 2006) has been trying for years to return to ESC and is back this time with "An Everlasting Dream"

Ludwig Galea who was one half of the 2004 entry did not even make it past the first hurdle.

And some known NF names who are still waiting on their first victory: Richard Edwards, Claudia Faniello, Baklava & Gianni

Scooby
17th November 2012, 00:43
Claudia Fanielo again? She just dont want to give up

Terence
17th November 2012, 11:16
So you agree that Malta didn't really benefit from sending English anyways and the problem is their songs rather then language?

Somehow our run of top 10 hits in the 90s is mostly due to us singing in English rather than the songs (I only like 1992 and 1994, 97 was decent but the performance was shambles). Us, the UK & Ireland finished top 10 in most of the 90s and since the language rule has been abolished, it's been one flop after another, give or take 2002 and 2005, so I guess the songs are the problem.

A-lister
18th November 2012, 16:21
Somehow our run of top 10 hits in the 90s is mostly due to us singing in English rather than the songs (I only like 1992 and 1994, 97 was decent but the performance was shambles). Us, the UK & Ireland finished top 10 in most of the 90s and since the language rule has been abolished, it's been one flop after another, give or take 2002 and 2005, so I guess the songs are the problem.

That say more about the biased juries than the entries though I think. Now however things have changed (with public vote) and the juries are still kinda crappy but it seems they also change a bit atleast.

But looking the years with televoting, Malta didn't do much wonder much of the tries (although singing in English all the time).

Terence
18th November 2012, 23:31
In the past years, the juries have saved us from the last places. With televote only, we always finished last or in the whereabouts.

2005 was a huge exception and I'm still baffled as to how we finished that high

Terence
26th November 2012, 23:43
Finalists to be announced on Friday live on TV, and songs will be aired for the first time too!

Matt
27th November 2012, 00:32
Yay, more songs to listen to. Do we know how many finalists there going to be?

Terence
28th November 2012, 15:38
Don't know yet, or how the format will be (as in, selifinal + final, or just a final).

However what I'm almost sure is that the final will be towards the end of January (19th or 26th?) as most probably an election will be called, and that normally is held in March, and no one would care about the contest in the weeks beforehand (SHOCK, HORROR LOL). I think all will be announced this week.

daniels1000
30th November 2012, 15:21
PBS will announce the 24 semi-finalists of the Maltese National Final tonight. The National Final will most likely take place on the last weekend of January. Amongst the artists in contention there are William Mangion (1993), Miriam Christine Warner (1996), Fabrizio Faniello (2001 & 2006) and winner of the 2008 Swedish Idol Kevin Borg.

Read more HERE (http://www.esctoday.com/?p=39341).

Terence
30th November 2012, 23:23
1. Janice Debattista - Perfet Day
2. Chris Grech - Never Walk Alone (who?)
3. Claudia Faniello - When it's time
4. Corazon - My Stranger Love (haha, she killed a cockroach for me!!!)
5. Richard Edwards - Fall like Rome
6. Ylenia - Tide of illusion (I assume it's the original backing 'singer' for Kurt Calleja)
7. Gianni - Us Against the World
8. Jessica Muscat - Ultraviolet

Waiting for Fabrizio,... NOT :twisted: but obviously he'll be in. Mind you I haven't listened to the songs, can't be bothered, sorry!

Terence
30th November 2012, 23:24
9. Dorothy Bezzina - Starting from the end
10. Gianluca Bezzina - Tomorrow (who?)

Starmania
30th November 2012, 23:40
I'm hoping for Baklava :) I still love and listen to Moon Dance.

Terence
30th November 2012, 23:43
11. Danica - Fantasy

Yamn... same old names (?)

Starmania
1st December 2012, 00:02
Gosh, i just realized "Jessica Muscat - Ultraviolet" is composed by G:Son. :shock:

Terence
1st December 2012, 00:06
12. Kevin Borg - Needing You
13. Domenique - Too Little, Too Late
14. Davinia Pace - Betrayed
15. Melanie Zammit - Loverdose

Terence
1st December 2012, 00:09
16. Raquela - Keep Believing
17. Scar - Superstar

xheart xheart two promising artists

18. Saska - Dress Rehearsal (who?)
19. Amber - In Control

Yawn... off to bed, work tomorrow!! Only 6 songs remain... (PLEASE no Fabrizio or Deborah C, please - have a feeling they'll leave FART-izio till the end, as in, save the "best" for last)

Starmania
1st December 2012, 00:40
The semi-finalists:
Composer & Author in brackets

1. Perfect day – Janice Debatista (Boris Cezek, Dean Muscat)
2. Never walkaway – Chris Grech (Matthew James Borg, David Cassar Torregiani, Chris Grech, Peter Borg)
3. When it’s time – Claudia Faniello (Errol Sammut, Claudia Faniello)
4. My stranger love – Corazon Mizzi (Paul Giordimania, Fleur Balzan)
5. Fall like Rome - Richard Edwards (Philip Vella, Magnus Kaxe, Gerard James Borg)
6. Tides of illusion – Ylenia Vella (Jason Cassar, Mario Farrugia)
7. Us against the world - Gianni Zammit (Boris Cezek, Dean Muscat)
8. Ultraviolet Jessica Muscat (Thomas G:son, Philip Vella, Gerard James Borg)
9. Starting from the end – Dorothy Bezzina (Magnus Kaxe, Gerard James Borg)
10. Tomorrow – Gianluca Bezzina (Boris Cezek, Dean Muscat)
11. Fantasy – Danica Muscat (Paul Abela, Joe Julian Farrugia)
12. Needing you – Kevin Borg (Kevin Borg, Danne Atterud, Simon Gribbe, Michael Clauss, ThomasThornholm)
13. Loverdose – Melanie Zammit (Maria Lundin (Maria Marcus), Niclas Lundin, Gerard James Borg)
14. Too little too late – Dominique Azzopardi (Matthias Strasser, Marc Paelinck)
15. Betrayed – Davinia Pace (Elton Zarb, Matthew Mercieca)
16. Keep believing - Raquela (Raquela Dalli Gonzi)
17. Superstar – Scar – (Konrad Pule)
18. Dress rehearsal – Saska Hunt (Philip Vella, Gerard James Borg)
19. In control - Amber (Paul Giordimania, Fleur Balzan)
20. No one’s home – Petra (Wayne Micallef, Richard Micallef)
21. Love-o-holic – Deborah C (Johan Bejerholm, Gerard James Borg)
22. Let your heart talk – Franklin Calleja (Ray Agius, Alfred C. Sant)
23. The remedy – Klinsmann Coleiro (Philip Vella, Magnus Kaxe, Gerard James Borg)
24. Wonderful today – Petra/Richard Edwards (Wayne Micallef, Richard Micallef)

Matt
1st December 2012, 00:42
Wow, no Fabrizio Faniello? that's surprising.

DanielLuis
1st December 2012, 00:48
Terence first you say who? then you say same old names and then you say who?. Gosh make your mind up.

Kryptonite
1st December 2012, 10:19
I assume that the rumours about snippets being released were fake?

Kryptonite
1st December 2012, 10:22
I assume that the rumours about snippets being released were fake?

EDIT: oh, they were true! Does anyone know where to find them?

Gerly
1st December 2012, 10:37
I liked yesterday especially two songs. They standed out somehow.
They were:
Never walkaway – Chris Grech
Wonderful today – Petra/Richard Edwards

I would like to hear the songs again...so hopefully they will be published somewhere =)

Kryptonite
1st December 2012, 14:40
VIDEOS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yMOgkc04nNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DvjqvIht1Wc#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QrFpEf2Ytqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GTl2SWAUbTE

evilperson
1st December 2012, 17:12
I'm surprised, they actually have quite a few nice songs, but nothing really outstanding.

Overall its a nice selection, hopefully they don't go for something incredibly banal like last year.

Kryptonite
1st December 2012, 17:39
My overall impression is really good! I mean, that's not a new thing because I usually like Maltese NFs, but this one's even better than the 2012 or 2011 ones.

It's hard for me to write the whole ranking after hearing only 90 seconds of every song, but I can already name my favourites:

Songs that I rated with 9.5/10 (in no particular order):

- Richard Edwards - Fall Like Rome
- Danica Muscat - Fantasy
- Saska Hunt - Dress Rehearsal
- Deborah - Love-o-holic
- Klinsman - The Remedy

9/10:

- Dorothy Bezzina - Starting From The End
- Scar - Superstar
- Franklin Calleja - Let Your Heart Talk

And some other good songs: "Never Walk Away" (Chris Grech), "When It's Time" (Claudia Faniello), "Wonderful Today" (Petra / Richard Edwards).

Richard Edwards, Klinsman and Danica Muscat aren't new names in "my favourites" list. Richard and Klinsman are among my favourites for 3rd consecutive year.

I'm really impressed by some songs, but like I said, I need to hear them in full versions! On the other hand, I'm very dissapointed with G:son's song "Ultraviolet". I usually love his songs, but this one is just plain boring. It stands no chance of winning at all.

Matt
1st December 2012, 18:09
Thanks for the info. I will update the first post with all the info.

Kryptonite
1st December 2012, 18:26
Does anyone know when will Kevin Borg's snippet be released?

Matt
1st December 2012, 19:10
Songs that stood out to me

Janice Debattista – Perfect Day
Richard Edwars - Fall like Rome
Jessica Muscat – Ultraviolet
Dorothy Bezzina – Starting from the end
Gianluca Bezzina - Tomorrow

GRE
1st December 2012, 20:29
Two really good songs :02. Never Walk Away - Chris Grech
24. Wonderful Today - Petra & Richard

other nice songs
05. Fall Like Rome - Richard Edwards
18. Dress Rehearsal - Saska Hunt
23. The Remedy - Klinsmann

blein
2nd December 2012, 03:36
05. Fall Like Rome - Richard Edwards
02 - Never Walk Away - Chris Grech > My Choose For 2013
23 The Remedy - Klinsmann

RomanFromRussia
2nd December 2012, 09:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SZRKOcWuDA8

Emreign
2nd December 2012, 14:14
I like that songs but i have just 2 favorites !

2. Never walkaway – Chris Grech (Matthew James Borg, David Cassar Torregiani, Chris Grech, Peter Borg)
5. Fall like Rome - Richard Edwards (Philip Vella, Magnus Kaxe, Gerard James Borg)
6. Tides of illusion – Ylenia Vella (Jason Cassar, Mario Farrugia)
9. Starting from the end – Dorothy Bezzina (Magnus Kaxe, Gerard James Borg)
11. Fantasy – Danica Muscat (Paul Abela, Joe Julian Farrugia)
13. Loverdose – Melanie Zammit (Maria Lundin (Maria Marcus), Niclas Lundin, Gerard James Borg)
15. Betrayed – Davinia Pace (Elton Zarb, Matthew Mercieca)
16. Keep believing - Raquela (Raquela Dalli Gonzi)
17. Superstar – Scar – (Konrad Pule)
18. Dress rehearsal – Saska Hunt (Philip Vella, Gerard James Borg)
19. In control - Amber (Paul Giordimania, Fleur Balzan)
20. No one’s home – Petra (Wayne Micallef, Richard Micallef)
21. Love-o-holic – Deborah C (Johan Bejerholm, Gerard James Borg)
22. Let your heart talk – Franklin Calleja (Ray Agius, Alfred C. Sant)
23. The remedy – Klinsmann Coleiro (Philip Vella, Magnus Kaxe, Gerard James Borg)
24. Wonderful today – Petra/Richard Edwards (Wayne Micallef, Richard Micallef)

There is a lot of nice sogs but they all so similr , My 2 favorites 21-23 :)

CRAZY MELANIE ! LOOOOL:lol::lol::lol:

evilperson
2nd December 2012, 17:51
I actually think Claudia Faniello has the best song and possibly in a year where she won't be a fan favourite.
I don't think the Maltese will select her with a song like this though.

All of the uptempo/dance songs are awful - they should stay away from them.

There was a tiny snippet of Kevin Borg's song during the program and it sounds like just another ballad.
But any of these songs could sound better in their full version, who knows... :)

Emreign
2nd December 2012, 18:21
And this is not a Maltese National final !

It is competition of Gerard James Borg's songs ahahah :D

VikingTiger
2nd December 2012, 20:07
Well, no wonder why many of the songs sounds alike... as the number of composers is pretty limited... I really dont think Malta would need such a big number of songs, with so few composers...

Terence
3rd December 2012, 22:55
Terence first you say who? then you say same old names and then you say who?. Gosh make your mind up.

What I meant is that there are so many familiar names, and yet I have no clue as to who the newcomers are - I never heard of Saska before for instance!

Jim
4th December 2012, 00:00
I actually think Claudia Faniello has the best song and possibly in a year where she won't be a fan favourite.
I don't think the Maltese will select her with a song like this though.

All of the uptempo/dance songs are awful - they should stay away from them.

There was a tiny snippet of Kevin Borg's song during the program and it sounds like just another ballad.
But any of these songs could sound better in their full version, who knows... :)

Poor Claudia Faniello...:|

DanielLuis
4th December 2012, 00:29
What I meant is that there are so many familiar names, and yet I have no clue as to who the newcomers are - I never heard of Saska before for instance!

Ok. But like, its good that there are newcomers since its pretty much the same artists year after year.

Matt
8th December 2012, 18:50
http://www.esctoday.com/wp-content/themes/gameportal/timthumb/timthumb.php?w=213&h=213&src=http://www.esctoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/kevin-borg1.jpg

Exclusive interview with Kevin Borg

CLICK HERE (http://www.esctoday.com/?p=39607)

CypriotGirl
8th December 2012, 21:18
My ranking:

(from best to worst)

Ultraviolet - Jessica Muscat
Superstar – Scar
Love-o-holic – Deborah C
The remedy – Klinsmann Coleiro
Tomorrow – Gianluca Bezzina
Fall like Rome - Richard Edwards
In control - Amber
Starting from the end – Dorothy Bezzina
My stranger love – Corazon Mizzi
When it’s time – Claudia Faniello
Too little too late – Dominique Azzopardi
Fantasy – Danica Muscat
Dress rehearsal – Saska Hunt
Tides of illusion – Ylenia Vella
Perfect day – Janice Debatista
Loverdose – Melanie Zammit
Let your heart talk – Franklin Calleja
Us against the world - Gianni Zammit
No one’s home – Petra
Betrayed – Davinia Pace
Keep believing - Raquela

My comments for each song:

Perfect day – Janice Debatista
This is such a cliché song. Like it came straight from the early 00s.

Daniel Diges’ cousin from Malta? Very average song.

When it’s time – Claudia Faniello
Good song, much better than the first two. I can see it having some potential. Nothing outstanding, though.

My stranger love – Corazon Mizzi
Another good one, better than Claudia’s song IMO. But again, nothing outstanding.

Fall like Rome - Richard Edwards
He reminds me of Hoobastank a bit! I like this song, doesn’t sound ESC-ish at all! The best so far!

Tides of illusion – Ylenia Vella
Euphoria, forever till the end of time… It’s an ok song overall but sounds like a rip-off of Euphoria!

Us against the world - Gianni Zammit
Oh, this guy wanted to go to ESC during 80s but they rejected him, so he said to try his luck now? This song (and even his voice) sounds like a teen pop-rock song, performed by a middle age man, it’s very strange!

Oh, here we are! I already can imagine this song in ESC, sounds 100% like a song of 2012, it can have a cool stage performance and give Malta one of its best positions ever! Rooting for this!

Starting from the end – Dorothy Bezzina
This song’s intro sounds very familiar. It reminds me of Street Lights of Kevin Borg, yeah, that’s it… As a song it’s ok, but the singer doesn’t have what it gets for a good stage performance.

Tomorrow – Gianluca Bezzina
This is cute, its intro reminded me again of another song but I cannot remember it now.

Fantasy – Danica Muscat
Is it only me or she looks like Rebecca Black? :lol: The song is ok but too genric for ESC.

Loverdose – Melanie Zammit
This is too electronic for ESC. I cannot imagine it being performed live. And I don’t find it anything special anyway. I don’t know how it will be with a good stage performance, though. The girl looks like she’s got charisma on stage.

Too little too late – Dominique Azzopardi
Not bad, sweet actually. But genric and outdated for ESC I think. Sounds like the soundtrack of the new movie of Disney.

Betrayed – Davinia Pace
This is so bad. Next one, please…

Keep believing - Raquela
This is even worse than the previous one.

Superstar – Scar
Good song, simple but solid IMO.

Dress rehearsal – Saska Hunt
This one sounds very American, but so did most of the songs so far. OK song, but weak for ESC.

In control - Amber
Maltese Adele? This girl has charisma IMO, and the song is cool and quite different from most of the songs so far.

No one’s home – Petra
And here we have the Maltese Jessie J (as regards the appearance, of course). I don’t like this song at all.

Love-o-holic – Deborah C
Good one, catchy, but I don’t know how it can stand out in ESC.

Let your heart talk – Franklin Calleja
This is meh. And he looks like a cucumber on stage.

The remedy – Klinsmann Coleiro
I already see Greek people LOLling with his surname! I already heard of this guy, this is one of the best songs here.

This is boring.

GRE
15th December 2012, 19:24
What a nice rock ballad !
Chris Grech | MESC 2013 (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/chris-grech/)

Matt
15th December 2012, 19:43
Preview videos of all songs available. check them out

01. Perfect Day - Janice DeBattista (Boris Cezek / Dean Muscat) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/janice-debattista/)
02. Never Walk Away - Chris Grech (Matthew James Borg / David Cassar Torregiani / Chris Grech / Peter Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/chris-grech/)
03. When It's Time - Claudia Faniello (Errol Sammut / Claudia Faniello) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/claudia-faniello/)
04. My Stranger Love - Corazon Mizzi (Paul Giordimaina / Fleur Balzan) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/corazon/)
05. Fall Like Rome - Richard Edwards (Philip Vella / Magnus Kaxe / Gerard James Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/richard-edwards/)
06. Tides of Illusion - Ylenia Vella (Jason Cassar / Mario Farrugia) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/ylenia/)
07. Us Against the World - Gianni Zammit (Boris Cezek / Dean Muscat) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/gianni-zammit/)
08. Ultraviolet - Jessika (Philip Vella / Thomas G:Son / Gerard James Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/jessika/)
09. Starting from the End - Dorothy Bezzina (Magnus Kaxe / Gerard James Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/dorothy-bezzina/)
10. Tomorrow - Gianluca Bezzina (Boris Cezek / Dean Muscat) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/gianluca-bezzina/)
11. Fantasy - Danica Muscat (Paul Abela / Joe Julian Farrugia) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/danica-muscat/)
12. Needing You - Kevin Borg (Kevin Borg / Simon Gribbe / Dan Attlerud / Thomas Thörnholm / Michael Clauss) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/kevin-borg/)
13. Loverdose - Melanie Zammit (Maria Lundin / Niclas Lundin / Gerard James Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/melanie-zammit/)
14. Too Little Too Late - Domenique (Marc Paelinck / Matthias Strasser) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/domenique/)
15. Betrayed - Davinia Pace (Elton Zarb / Muxu) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/davinia/)
16. Keep Believing - Raquela (Raquela Dalli Gonzi) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/raquela/)
17. Superstar - Scar (Konrad Pule) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/scar/)
18. Dress Rehearsal - Saska Hunt (Philip Vella / Gerard James Borg)
19. In Control - Amber (Paul Giordimaina / Fleur Balzan) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/amber/)
20. No One Home - Petra (Wayne Micallef / Richard Micallef) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/petra/)
21. Love-O-Holic - Deborah C (Johan Bejerholm / Gerard James Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/deborah-c/)
22. Let Your Heart Talk - Franklin Calleja (Ray Aguis / Alfred C Sant) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/franklin-calleja/)
23. The Remedy - Klinsmann (Philip Vella / Magnus Kaxe / Gerard James Borg) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/klinsmann/)
24. Wonderful Tonight - Petra & Richard (Wayne Micallef / Richard Micallef) (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/petra-richard-edwards/)

MightyHawks123
16th December 2012, 04:03
::mt Chris Grech has to win!!! :)

QwaarJet
16th December 2012, 09:06
Was good to go through the songs in more detail, and I think Malta has an awesome selection this year.

1. Jessika - Ultraviolet
2. Klinsmann - The Remedy
3. Danica Muscat - Fantasy
4. Claudia Faniello - When It's time
5. Amber - In Control

I'd be happy with any of them winning, but "Ultraviolet" has hit potential.

dezbee2008
16th December 2012, 20:00
My favorites:

Betrayed - Davinia Pace
Fall Like Rome - Richard Edwards
Fantasy - Danica Muscat
In Control - Amber
Keep Believing - Raquela
Love-o-holic - Deborah C
Loverdose - Melanie Zammit
Never Walk Away - Chris Grech
No One's Home - Petra
Starting From the End - Dorothy Bezzina
The Remedy - Klinsmann
Tides of Illusion - Ylenia Vella
When It's Time - Claudia Faniello
Wonderful Today - Richard & Petra

cripesdude
18th December 2012, 16:44
The start of Ultraviolet is a total rip of off Emeli Sandé's 'Next To Me'... and the chorus is really poor in my opinion... but it could do well at ESC.

My top 4 (the others I think are weaker):

1 - Loverdose - Robyn-ish meets The Saturdays-ish? (I could see this as a really successful single with a proper video - BUT is there too much 'effect' to put in a good live performance?)

2 - Betrayed - Adele-ish? (Great voice and emotive song, but to be fair after criticising 'Ultraviolet' for sounding like Emile Sandé - it does remind me of 'Skyfall').

3 - Starting From The End - Katy Perry-ish?

4 - Love-o-holic - Kelly Clarkson-ish?

I seem to have a thing for female soloists from Malta this year! ;)
A very strong selection - would love Malta to win and host ESC!

Liam
19th December 2012, 06:24
I think Loverdose stands the best chance. It sounds like a hit, and Malta really needs to move on from the typical boring ballad they usually send :lol: Kurt Calleja took them in the right direction imo!

Matt
23rd December 2012, 03:05
There have been a number of questions which have been seemingly addressed in the past couple of hours with the withdrawal of Saska Hunt and her entry Dress Rehearsal being replaced by Overrated performed by Marilena Gauci. It is important to note that both entries are composed by Philip Vella and penned by Gerard James Borg and therefore, the songwriters had to be relieved to know that they were still not going to miss an entry in the competition. In the past couple of hours, it seems that the preparations for the 2013 Malta Eurovision Song Contest have continued due to the fact that whilst in Albania, the Public Broadcasting Services Chairman, Joseph Mizzi invited the Albanian representatives at the upcoming international showcase to the local selection show. It is unknown whether they have accepted or not at this stage although it could be the first of a number of guests. In the past, reciprocity of jury and guests between countries took place quite freely.

source: escflashmalta

wyq614
30th December 2012, 22:21
by now my top 3: Scar, Kevin Borg, Deborah C

Matt
2nd January 2013, 22:13
Malta: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of the 2013 National Selection | WiwiBloggs.Com (http://wiwibloggs.com/2013/01/02/malta-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-the-2013-national-selection/21587/)

dezbee2008
3rd January 2013, 19:48
Overrated by Marilena Gauci (full version)

Marilena Gauci | MESC 2013 (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/marilena-gauci/)

Matt
23rd January 2013, 17:35
Semi Final running order

Position
Song
Singer

Fall like Rome
Richard Edwards

Tides of Illusion
Ylenia

Perfect Day
Janice Debattista

Never Walk Away
Chris Grech

Overrated
Marilena

No one s home
Petra

Starting from the end
Dorothy Bezzina

Too Little Too Late
Domenique

Ultra Violet
Jessika

Let your hear talk
Franklin Calleja

When it s Time
Claudia Faniello

My Strange Love
Corazon

Needing You
Kevin Borg

Superstar
Scar

Loverdose
Melanie Zammit

Fantasy
Danica Muscat

Wonderful Today
Petra & Richard

Love-0-Holic
Deborah C.

Us Against the World
Gianni Zammit

Keep Believeing
Raquela

Tomorrow
Gianluca Bezzina

In Control
Amber

The Remedy
Klinsmann

Betrayed
Davinia

QwaarJet
23rd January 2013, 18:01
Cool, looks like Davinia could do well. Either Davinia or Jessika and I'll be happy.

Matt
24th January 2013, 07:31
So I listened to all these songs and it's a pretty bad year. As a matter of fact there is only one song I truly dig and that is "tomorrow". It's gotta be the winner. Ultra violet is also pretty neat so that is another thumbs up from me. The rest is just meh but nevertheless here is the top 10 I came up with.

1. Gianluca Bezzina - Tomorrow
2. Jessica Muscat - Ultraviolet
3. Dorothy Bezzina - Starting from the End
4. Deborah C - Love-O-Holic
5. Kevin Borg - Needing You
6. Klinsmann - The Remedy
7. Franklin Calleja - Let Your Heart Talk
8. Domenique - Too Little Too Late
9. Janice DeBattista -- Perfect Day
10. Petra and Richard Edwards -- Wonderful Today

A-lister
24th January 2013, 15:01
^
No offense to Malta or anything but since when wasn't their national selection "a pretty bad year"? :lol:

CC92
24th January 2013, 15:11
4. Deborah C - Love-O-Holic

xrofl

^
No offense to Malta or anything but since when wasn't their national selection "a pretty bad year"? :lol:

xrofl

QwaarJet
24th January 2013, 21:13
I actually think this is one of the stronger years for Malta. Quite a few good songs.

Terence
25th January 2013, 01:18
^

Haha, sadly you are spot on :lol:

Matt
25th January 2013, 04:05
ESCUNITED interview with the co writer for kevin Borg's song
Interview with Danne Attlerud, Swedish composer | escunited.com (http://www.escunited.com/home/interview-with-danne-attlerud-swedish-composer/)

escYOUnited
29th January 2013, 02:43
Stage revealed

http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/files/2013/01/2.jpg

http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/files/2013/01/stage-1.jpg

Nicky
1st February 2013, 18:57
A strong semi-final from Malta with lots of good to great songs. Kevin Borg and “Needing you” is my big favorite for the Maltese ticket to Malmo!

My favorites:

- Danica Muscat - Fantasy
- Deborah C. – Love-o-holic
- Dominique – Too little too late
- Dorothy Bezzina – Starting from the end
- Franklin Calleja – Let your heart talk
- Jessika – Ultraviolet
- Kevin Borg – Needing you
- Marilena Gauci – Overrated
- Ylenia – Tides of illusion

There are 3 songs that I don’t like at all:

- Davinia – Betrayed
- Melanie Zammit – Loverdose
- Raquela – Keep believing

Good luck Malta!

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 20:49
Do we have a link and a time?

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 21:05
20:40 CET, according to this link (http://tvm.com.mt/eurovision/mesc-2013-the-last-rehearsals-before-the-semi-final/). Livestream link is included.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 21:46
Malta is underway...who's with me?

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 21:49
Audio streaming quality is very poor ... :(

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 21:53
Gah, wish they weren't speaking in Maltese...It would nice to actually understand at least one national selection.

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 21:58
Gah, wish they weren't speaking in Maltese...It would nice to actually understand at least one national selection.Speaking of it, I just wondered what effect it would have if Zlata changed her lyrics to Ukrainian. Maybe very little. Her song relies mostly on her vocals.

Gerly
1st February 2013, 22:07
It will be hard to keep eyes open while watching this show most probably. I wish there was a song that really stands out. Sth different from usual Malta pop. Opinion based on the snippets that I heard, when the songs were announced.
For example some years ago was Baklava - Moondance :D Who loved it, who hated it. But it was sth different :)

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 22:12
I have noticed malta has less citizens than the city I live in. Not a good foundation for variety.

r3gg13
1st February 2013, 22:15
The hosts are so HILARIOUS

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:17
Good grief, they showed Peter Andre.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:22
Sound quality is horrific.

Gerly
1st February 2013, 22:24
was it just in my livestream... the double voices in the beginning of the 4th song?

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 22:24
Sound quality is horrific.
On those songs a better quality would be wasted anyway.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:27
On those songs a better quality would be wasted anyway.

Not going to disagree with that. That echo effect by Chris Grech was horrific. Ruined the first half of the song.

Gerly
1st February 2013, 22:27
How many songs will pass to final? :)

Gerly
1st February 2013, 22:29
Not going to disagree with that. That echo effect by Chris Grech was horrific. Ruined the first half of the song.

Oh :lol: So the echo was meant to be there. If he will win then he must remove those echoes.

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 22:32
How many songs will pass to final? :)
16 songs will pass.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:38
This is going to be a long night.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:48
Song 7 has overtones of "Gravity" about it.

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 22:51
Song 7 has overtones of "Gravity" about it.
Maybe. But Dorothy is not Zlata. Still it was one of the better songs so far.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:53
Maybe. But Dorothy is not Zlata. Still it was one of the better songs so far.

Was just talking about the backing track, obviously the vocals are very different. Probably the best song so far.

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 22:54
Huh?! Dominique has the first song that makes me regret the bad sound quality.

Gerly
1st February 2013, 22:55
Song nr 9 - Ultraviolet is quite good. First song that could bring Malta to somewhere.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 22:57
Live performance has just reinforced my opinion that "Ultraviolet" should win the ticket to Malmo.

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 22:57
Jessika - quite listenable as well. Did they get out the sh*t first and now the better stuff? :xpray:

Gerly
1st February 2013, 23:09
Will it be Claudia year? I kind of like the song =)

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 23:13
It's a very open selection this year...any one of a dozen could win it, but I think "Loverdose" will win it, despite being a truly woeful piece of "music". We'll see how the live performance is.

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 23:32
"Needing You": not really a bad performance, but the song is sooo cliche ...

Musicosity
1st February 2013, 23:41
"Loverdose": With that vocal performance Malta cannot possibly think about sending them to Malmö?!

Liam
1st February 2013, 23:46
I think Melanie was decent, but behead those f***ing backing singers!

If she qualls, I believe she can pull it out of the bag tomorrow - it wasn't THAT bad.

QwaarJet
1st February 2013, 23:50
OK, so from the reactions so far Kevin Borg is the favourite.

Matt
1st February 2013, 23:58
Can't join u guys tonight. As long as my two favorite ultraviolet and tomorrow qualify, I'm happy.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 00:23
3 songs to go, hopefully we don't die before then.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 00:31
Amber's live performance is a lot better than the studio version. Excellent.

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 00:31
"In Control": A nice, jazzy song, but the singer doesn't quite cut it. Someone like Chiara might be an alternative.

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 00:35
Klinsmann did not score tonight. At least not for me. Again such a cliche song.

"Betrayed": Could be interesting, were it not for Davinia's high-pitched voice, imo.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 00:40
Decent attempt by Klinsmann, Davinia was sensational, as expected. As long as Jessica and Davinia get through, I'll be happy.

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 00:46
It is weird. If the song is good, the vocals don't fit. And if the vocals and performance are good, the song is cliched and uncreative. Jessika seems to have the best package for now.

Terence
2nd February 2013, 01:13
As a Maltese I can only say how embarrassed I am
with such a show... lousy sound, poor songs quality (I honestly did not like even ONE song) and I don't quite care who gets through with all the bad vocals all around. Sorry, this is the first time I turned the Tv off during our NF. We're not in 1995, dear!!

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 01:14
As a Maltese I can only say how embarrassed I am
with such a show... lousy sound, poor songs quality (I honestly did not like even ONE song) and I don't quite care who gets through with all the bad vocals all around. Sorry, this is the first time I turned the Tv off during our NF. We're not in 1995, dear!!

I actually found it a lot better than last year's horror show.

Terence
2nd February 2013, 01:17
The only songs I can tolerate are 'Ultraviolet', 'Starting from the End' and yes, 'Love-o-holic'. Amber had a good song but she's obviously better than that. Kevin Borg will probably win but his song goes nowhere.

Terence
2nd February 2013, 01:22
Just realized that the three songs I liked have Swedish composers/writers, presumably, judging by the surnames?

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 01:30
Oh, great someone to butcher "Bittersweet Symphony".

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 01:36
There were a number of 'dated' songs tonight, but songs like 'Ultraviolet', or 'Starting from the end' would be decent pickings for Malmö, 'Too Little Too Late' probably too, if the sound quality did not deceive me. I have mentioned that my city has more inhabitants than Malta, and I am not convinced the local music scene would be able to put up a show equal to this one. A reason to be embarrassed I do not see.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 01:37
The only embarrassment is the length of the show...we're pushing 4 hours now ffs.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 01:40
One of my 2 favourites is through so far...excellent!

Both my favourites through, so I've got what I wanted.

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 01:56
I could have done without Chris Grech in the final. Apart from this the selection is good.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 01:56
The Non-Qualifiers are :

Ylenia "Tides of Illusion"
Marilena "Overrated"
Petra "No One Home"
Franklin Calleja "Let Your Heart Talk"
Melanie Zammit "Loverdose"
Danica Muscat "Fantasy"
Raquela "Keep Believing"
Klinsmann "The Remedy"

Ewigkeit
2nd February 2013, 02:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk4JMVi6nwI
Boo Malta just boo xcry xcry xcry xcry xcry xcry xcry xcry

Terence
2nd February 2013, 08:32
Can't say I'm upset on any non qualifier! 'Loverdose' was the worst of them
all. At least the three songs I liked made it through -_-

GRE
2nd February 2013, 13:41
Running order

1 Scar – Superstar
2 Dorothy Bezzina – Starting From The End
3 Corazon – My Stranger Love
4 Jessika – Ultraviolet
5 Gianni – Us Against The World
6 Davinia – Betrayed
7 Kevin Borg – Needing You
8 Richard Edwards – Falling Like Rome
9 Janice Debattista – Perfect Day
10 Deborah C – Love- O- Holic
11 Claudia Faniello – When It’s Time
12 Gianluca – Tomorrow
13 Chris Grech – Never Walk Away
14 Petra & Richard – Wonderful Today
15 Amber – In Control
16 Domenique – Too Little Too Late

Nicky
2nd February 2013, 15:45
A good final in Malta tonight. Kevin Borg and “Needing you” is my big favorite for the victory.

My favorites are:

- Deborah C. – Love-o-holic
- Dominique – Too little too late
- Dorothy Bezzina – Starting from the end
- Jessika – Ultraviolet
- Kevin Borg – Needing you

I hope Davinia and “Betrayed” doesn’t win because it’s the worst song on offer imo.

I think Kevin will win, unless the jury decides otherwise.

Good luck Malta!

Matt
2nd February 2013, 20:32
Kevin Borg's song is average and won't stand a good chance of doing well in Malmo. I still think "Ultraviolet" is Malta's best option though my personal favorite is still Tomorrow

EscGeek
2nd February 2013, 22:02
Amber – In Control xheya x12s

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 22:10
Amber – In Control xheya x12s
Wouldn't mind. Good song. Would be even better with a stronger voice though.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 22:13
All my hopes behind Jessika, and some hopes behind Davinia.

Matt
2nd February 2013, 22:22
Ultraviolet is song no 4, not a good spot....let's hope for the best.

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 22:25
All my hopes behind Jessika, and some hopes behind Davinia.
Thumbs up for Jessika. I also took a certain liking to Domenique, but she wouldn't stand the slightest chance in Malmö. Sweet little girls with sweet little songs always get slaughtered.

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 22:47
Well judging that reaction we may as well forget the formalities and just give the ticket to Kevin Borg.

Matt
2nd February 2013, 22:50
Well judging that reaction we may as well forget the formalities and just give the ticket to Kevin Borg.

i know, right? I hope it won't win though..It's so...bleh......

Musicosity
2nd February 2013, 22:51
Teen force at work again ... :rolleyes:

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 22:52
i know, right? I hope it won't win though..It's so...bleh......

It's the kind of song that sounds OK in a NF, and then when it gets to ESC it just becomes a total irrelevance. Doubt it could get out of the semi.

Matt
2nd February 2013, 23:41
BTW, don't wait up for the results...they'll drag it out until the cows come home.

EscGeek
2nd February 2013, 23:50
my ranking:p

1-In Control
2-Ultraviolet
3-Love-o-Holic
4-Betrayed
5-Never Walk Away
6-Us Against The World
7-When It's Time
8-Superstar
9-Needing You
10-Starting From the End
11-Wonderful Today
12-Fall Like Rome
13-My Stranger Love
14-Too Little Too Late
15-Tomorrow
16-Perfect Day

QwaarJet
2nd February 2013, 23:54
BTW, don't wait up for the results...they'll drag it out until the cows come home.

Probably another 90 mins or so until we know the winner. You're about to see an exercise in expert padding.

EscGeek
2nd February 2013, 23:57

I'm gonna wait....after all,tomorrow is sunday:lol: xcheer

toinou03
3rd February 2013, 00:03
This is the motto of Malta's selection !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1JVT29Hmjg

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:20
Interesting article : Amber takes control in Malta! | News | Eurovision Song Contest - Malmö 2013 (http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=72883&source=twitter&medium=social&campaign=Twitter&_t=amber_takes_control_in_malta)

swild
3rd February 2013, 00:21

God, you're so right.

EscGeek
3rd February 2013, 00:22
Interesting article : Amber takes control in Malta! | News | Eurovision Song Contest - Malmö 2013 (http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=72883&source=twitter&medium=social&campaign=Twitter&_t=amber_takes_control_in_malta)

for real???:confused::o
but the show isn't over yet
i'm confused:?

Matt
3rd February 2013, 00:23
God, you're so right.

This is experience talk, I sat through the whole thing last year...I promised myself not to do that again. So i listened to the sogns and now I'm doing something else until it's time for the results

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:24
for real???:confused::o
but the show isn't over yet
i'm confused:?

Yeah, I know. Has there been a leak or has someone at the ESC site screwed up?

EscGeek
3rd February 2013, 00:25
Yeah, I know. Has there been a leak or has someone at the ESC site screwed up?

I hope this is true! Amber is my favorite xcheer

GRE
3rd February 2013, 00:26
Or they knew the result?

dizzydjc
3rd February 2013, 00:33
They just said they're sorry for prematurely announcing the winner, so that means that Amber has indeed won? Poor Claudia!

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:34
Yep, It's been confirmed now by the Eurovision twitter feed, Amber has won.

Dessi
3rd February 2013, 00:37
No no no no...xboringxboring

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:41
Someone is going to get sacked for that. That is a BIG error, because now there is literally no reason to watch the show.

Musicosity
3rd February 2013, 00:42
Good choice, can make it to the final. Maybe Amber can beef up her vocals a little.

EscGeek
3rd February 2013, 00:43
my winner actually won xyaaay

::by is still 1st on my list though

Matt
3rd February 2013, 00:44
Seriously? They accidentally announced it? Now way...maybe it's jsut the televote?

GRE
3rd February 2013, 00:45
Something weird happened here...

Musicosity
3rd February 2013, 00:46
Seriously? They accidentally announced it? Now way...maybe it's jsut the televote?No, they said Amber has won both jury and televote.

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:47
Seriously? They accidentally announced it? Now way...maybe it's jsut the televote?

The article posted indicated that Amber was the winner and would go to Malmo. It wasn't just the televotes, I'm certain of it.

Knubelznarm
3rd February 2013, 00:49
If it's true, at least Malta is preserving their tradition of sending the most generic song they can possibly find ;)

Matt
3rd February 2013, 00:50
the juries don't seem to like needing you...i think it may be wrong

Matt
3rd February 2013, 00:51
I'm still hoping, tomorrow is doing well with the juries...and of course needing you.

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:52
OK, I'm really confused now.

swild
3rd February 2013, 00:54

Me too lol

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 00:54
Surely there is no way Amber can come back now.

Matt
3rd February 2013, 00:56

Eurovision.tv wouldn't know the results until after the fact. somebody just screwed up internally.

Musicosity
3rd February 2013, 00:57
How many points are given by televote?

CaraMia
3rd February 2013, 01:00
"Tomorrow" won?

ESC
3rd February 2013, 01:01
"Tomorrow" won?
I think so, the Televoting was before the Juries :(

Simon87
Yes Tomorrow won

Nice song

Glad that Kevin didnt won his song sucks :D

QwaarJet
Would actually have been better if Amber had won, because "Tomorrow" is garbage. One of the worst songs selected so far.

Matt
OMG, my favorite actually won? Get out of here...what a great night this has been for me. Nobody even mentioned thsi song so I never thought this could win but I'm glad it won.

Musicosity
A lot of sad smiles on the stage ..

Simon87
3rd February 2013, 01:02
Would actually have been better if Amber had won, because "Tomorrow" is garbage. One of the worst songs selected so far.

Amber was great yes!

ESC
3rd February 2013, 01:04
Another Year Malta stays in the Semifinals :D

GRE
3rd February 2013, 01:06
Last year we said the same thing!

LakZaNokte
3rd February 2013, 01:07
first listening:
just adorable xheart

10 for now (i have to leave some space for others atm) xbow

dizzydjc
3rd February 2013, 01:07
My new fave! Such a charming song and the singer is sooo cute! 10 points from me.

busybee
3rd February 2013, 01:09
Cute song but not something I'd vote for. 6 points.

Musicosity
3rd February 2013, 01:10
Last year we said the same thing!
I guess it will once again depend on the stage performance. If Gianluca can get his energy and verve through to the audience he may have a good chance.

CC92

Remember the jury. ;)

Well, this is not my cup of tea (as pretty much always with Malta) but it is bearable.

GRE
3 points

doctormalisimo
3rd February 2013, 01:11
Best entry so far!!!!!!!!

CaraMia
3rd February 2013, 01:12
After this confusing final (xD) we have a very nice song! :) And the ukelele will certainly give them some points.

eerik
3rd February 2013, 01:16
Best entry so far!!!!!!!!

More like "the only good one so far". Much better than I expected from Malta. Well done.

Arv
3rd February 2013, 01:16
I like it. Couldn't really decide if it's a 10 or an 8.... but I went for the 8... 9 would have been good this time but yeah ;) Good song =)

Hegepege
3rd February 2013, 01:17
Lets face it, he's no Chiara, but by far Maltas best entry in years, and the best song until now. I like it, actually, I never thought I would say that about a song from Malta. 7 points.

toinou03
He's nice. He's the hottest entrant for Malta ever. His song is nice and entertaining but completely forgettable...
Oh oh eh eh... oh oh eh eh... You have forgotten it in 5 minutes...

EscGeek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

this is even worse than Iceland

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7aNkEJmKPqEtvPIesVac8znxqw_i8O wMjqkm7HT-kBN1xqQfqsw

Hegepege
3rd February 2013, 01:20
He's nice. He's the hottest entrant for Malta ever. His song is nice and entertaining but completely forgettable...
Oh oh eh eh... oh oh eh eh... You have forgotten it in 5 minutes...

No no, you will not forget the guy with the ugliest pants and sweather in the contest :)

CaraMia
3rd February 2013, 01:21
I don't think it is that forgettable. It's not a masterpiece (musically speaking) but people will remember the nice guy that made them smile and feel happy even if they forget the song. Also, he is the ukelele guy ("Oh, let's vote for the nice ukelele guy!" xD)

Knubelznarm
3rd February 2013, 01:26
Well, it's definitely the usual Maltese blandness, but of the good kind this time around :)

Dessi
3rd February 2013, 01:34
It's OK, not my fav, but all in all nice and cheerful. :D

Scooby
3rd February 2013, 01:40
I heard only winning song, and its not bad, maybe the best Maltese entry in last few years

3 points

Tinchey
3rd February 2013, 01:54
This is okej but something is missing, and it really reminds me of any Train song... not happy with the winner. IMO Amber should've won because In Control was simply amazing. BOO MALTA BOO!!! :( 3 points for now, but this might be a grower.

daniels1000
3rd February 2013, 01:54
Pretty bland, but I quite like it :D

6pts for now :)

Nicfedy
3rd February 2013, 02:18
Love it . 12 pts. Refreshing and different.

ayzelto
3rd February 2013, 02:38
I like it, but PLEASE change the backvocalists

renzo
3rd February 2013, 03:12
Finallllyy I'm SO proud of our entry!!! <33 This is wonderful, cute, happy, awesome! GO GIANLUCA! :mrgreen:

nofuxCZ
3rd February 2013, 03:42
Good song, I quite like it. And it's the best entry so far this year :)

wyq614
3rd February 2013, 03:56
five points. My favorite is Kevin Borg!

nekoisneko
3rd February 2013, 04:02
the most so so entry so far xboring

evija87
3rd February 2013, 04:21
Very nice song! I'm little surprised. I expected something weaker after reading few comments on internet on a "way" to this thread. I'm afraid it may get lost among other songs because it doesn't stand out that much really or has annoying dance routine to support with (yes Kurt, I'm talking about you ;) ) but again - it's really nice so we'll see. Maybe a good draw can help to reach a final.

So far 6-7 points from me.

VikingTiger
3rd February 2013, 10:38
Congratulations Malta! For the first time in years I actually like the maltese entry. I had just listened through the finalists very quickly, and really didnt like much of it. Cant even remember this one. But this is a pleasant surprise. I am pretty sure Malta will qualify for the final if Gianluca's vocals are good in the semi.
Best one that has qualified so far, I will give it a 5.

Mika
3rd February 2013, 10:48
I can't say I really like it, but I wouldn't turn it off hearing it by chance either.

Milos-BC
3rd February 2013, 10:49
I don't like it at all. The weakest entry so far. Completely bland and forgettable. Each and every year I hope for something different from ::mt but.....

1 point.

GRE
3rd February 2013, 11:02
Juries will love it :?

QwaarJet
3rd February 2013, 11:06
I've already forgotten the song...It just seems so "meh". No doubt it will be remixed for ESC

Also, how come the polls for this and Iceland aren't public like the rest?

razvan
3rd February 2013, 12:09
Malta has no chance with this song. They had much better songs. Shame! -_-

Somebody
3rd February 2013, 12:53
Best song so far. But I'm afraid this year we won't have Fairytale or Euphoria. :/

Yamarus
3rd February 2013, 13:13
Weak Jason Mraz rip-off. Me don't like.

Charly
3rd February 2013, 13:29
Mixed reactions for Malta and my reaction I like it :D

Mickey
3rd February 2013, 13:32
I like it. It's sunny and cheerful and I think it will stand out. Amongst big-voiced ballads and bombastic stage shows, something so simple and happy will make a contrast.

cripesdude
3rd February 2013, 13:41
Bad choice IMO... Malta had *so many* better songs to choose from this year :(

sapsan
3rd February 2013, 14:31
Too boring and primitive song. I scare I'll fall asleep listening it after my job.

issorus71
3rd February 2013, 14:40
Decent song, but nothing special.

Guilep
3rd February 2013, 15:12
Terrible song.

A-lister
3rd February 2013, 15:29
Well, what to say... my expectations on Malta are always low, their national selections are just cheese-fest and they tend to not choose the most decent anyways.

Jesus
3rd February 2013, 17:37
This song is just OK, nothing remarkable :/

NikkiBoy
3rd February 2013, 17:44
6 Points for me.
Hope it grows in my soul, Always confused about the Maltessé songs :I

Narmina
3rd February 2013, 18:49
5 points from me. Sounds sweet